We are all extremely shocked and saddened with regard to the shooting in Connecticut. Our thoughts are with the families and victims affected by this terrible tragedy. The impact o this tragedy may be traumatic for many children, triggering emotional reactions as well as questions around safety within the school environment. Emotions will vary from child to child depending on their age, knowledge of the situation, and previous life experiences.
The SCDSB Crisis Response Team has been supporting school staff in offering specific suggestions to help students cope with any emotional reactions they may be experiencing. The following suggestions have also been developed to assist Parents/Guardians in supporting their child around this tragedy:
1) Be willing to discuss with your child, his or her fears and concerns. Validate their feelings ( e.g., I can understand how you may be feeling scared)
2) Reassure your child that the incident was the actions o someone who had extreme, disturbed thinking, and that incidents like this are extremely rare. You may want to address that Canada is different than the USA with regard to gun laws.
3) Reassure your child that the SCDSB (simcoe county district school board) continues to review and implement safe school policies.
4) Should you feel your child requires further support, consider contacting your Family Doctor, Faith-based support, or comminity agency support. (e.g, New Path Youth and Family Counselling Services, Kinark Child and family services).
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact me
- dough-head whom approved this fucking letter -