<-.¸.·°¯° The Brah Movie Review Thread °¯°·.¸.-> (srs) (1-4 star rating) *VIDS*

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Satori Brah, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Satori Brah

Satori Brah Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Out of the Furnace

Plot: Russell Baze (Bale) and his younger brother Rodney Jr. (Affleck) live in the economically-depressed Rust Belt, and have always dreamed of escaping and finding better lives. But when a cruel twist of fate lands Russell in prison, his brother is lured into one of the most violent and ruthless crime rings in the Northeast – a mistake that will cost him everything. Once released, Russell must choose between his own freedom, or risk it all to seek justice for his brother. (from Wiki)

So basically they run into a super bad and scary guy played by Woody Harrelson. (yes, the guy from Cheers. try not to think about that when watching the movie, though) Right...so Woody is into some bad shit which somehow involves a very low level of UFC type fights minus the rules, ring cards girls, and possible Joe Rogan. Affleck wants to go fight there to erase his debt with (I call him )William Dafoe. They get themselves in a heap of trouble with the "inbreds" (racist for white people) and then American Psycho guy has to bail them out.

The whole "bareknuckle fighting" aspect seems like it was written in after a lot of other ideas were shot down. The fighting is no scarier than that energy drink/fight club commercial, and I never get a good grasp on what kind of debt is owed that requires a *wait for it* Iraq war vet to need to settle it. A really weak script that ruins the excellent acting by all the big names in this picture. The bad guys aren't bad enough, and the good guys aren't developed for me to shed any manly tears.

Worth a watch but don't plan your night around it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

-- The Brah
  2. koam

koam Playa' Pimp

Sep 19, 2010
    I plan my night around this message board anyway. I rush home from work every single night to create a Generic Evening Thread.