Entertainment 11 key details about Jeremy Clarkson’s new Amazon car show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RenchFries, Aug 25, 2016.

1. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    'The Grand Tour' producer just revealed 11 key details about Jeremy Clarkson’s new Amazon car show
    [​IMG]"The Grand Tour."Amazon

Jeremy Clarkson's executive producer Andy Wilman has revealed some of the secrets of their new Amazon Prime Instant Video show "The Grand Tour."

In a frank interview at the Edinburgh International Television Festival on Wednesday, Wilman discussed the progress the team has made in producing Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May's follow-up to "Top Gear."

So what can you expect? Well, Wilman revealed a number of nuggets, including a "Game of Thrones" stunt, legal challenges during filming and his reflections on "Top Gear."

Here are 11 things we learned from "The Grand Tour" showrunner.

1. Most of the show is in the can.Wilman said 90% of "The Grand Tour's" set piece films have been recorded and one episode, which will be the second of the series, is all-but complete. His focus is now turning to recording the studio-style elements in "The Grand Tour" tent, which is travelling the world. The tent has already travelled to South Africa, while future destinations will include California and Britain.

2. Prepare for a "Game of Thrones" stunt.[​IMG]Helen Sloan/HBO

Clarkson will drive though the "Game of Thrones" set for a stunt. Wilman also provided a sneak peak of some of the footage, including Hammond being airlifted in his car while he sleeps and the presenting trio racing a Maseratis, a Rolls Royce, and a Porsche.

3. Filming has been a legal minefield.[​IMG]Chris Evans presented the first series of the new "Top Gear" on the BBC, and then quit.AP

There will be no Stig, no section titled "the news," and no regular test track elements on "The Grand Tour" in case it infringes the BBC's "Top Gear" copyright. This legal caution has also extended to other elements on the show, with Wilman joking that he has asked Amazon's lawyers if James May can still say the word "cock."

4. There is still no decision on a launch date.The producer does not know when in autumn Amazon will launch the show, but he has been given strict targets for delivering completed episodes. "If we don't hit our targets, they [Amazon] will send a hit man … next day delivery," he joked.

5. Each episode could be a different length.The series will comprise of 12 episodes, each of which will be around an hour in length. Wilman said they can afford to be a bit looser with episode lengths, given the show is not being broadcast on traditional television.

[​IMG]Amazon/PA

6. "The Grand Tour" could be released as a weekly show.Wilman said he wants "The Grand Tour" to be made available on Amazon on a weekly basis, rather than released in one box-set for people to binge view. "There's no threat, no plot," Wilman said. "It's not like watching 'Breaking Bad' where you think 'shit, what will happen next?'"

7. It might yet find a home on TV.

The show could be repeated on a traditional broadcaster, Wilman said, explaining that "Top Gear" has a good "shelf life."

He joked that show could be repeated on Dave in the future — the UKTV channel that is famous for wall-to-wall repeats of "Top Gear."

8. The show is filmed in ultra-HD."The Grand Tour" producer confirmed that every episode will be be filmed in 4K, otherwise known as ultra-high definition. Wilman explained that this has made lead times longer because of the post-production process involved in managing the footage.

[​IMG]Andy Wilman and Jeremy Clarkson.BBC

9. Amazon has an option to extend "The Grand Tour" after three years.Wilman reiterated that W Chump & Sons — the production company he co-owns with Clarkson, Hammond, and May — has a three-year deal with Amazon for "The Grand Tour," but revealed that the US company has an option to extend this agreement. Reports that he has a £4 million($5.3 million) budget for each episode are "bollocks," he added.

10. Wilman believes Clarkson should not have been fired by the BBC.The producer accepted that the senior "Top Gear" team had a "broken" relationship with the BBC, but argued that Clarkson should have been fined, not sacked, for punching producer Oisin Tymon last year.

"It was sad, but my point is, we were to blame too. I was entrenched, I was throwing my toys out of the pram, I was vicious in my reaction to everything and it became thumping heads, which was sad," he said.

[​IMG]BBC

11. "The Grand Tour" producer has not watched new "Top Gear."Wilman revealed that he did not watch any of the new "Top Gear" series with Chris Evans because there was "a lot of pain for me." He hopes, however, that the BBC "cracks" the show so it can be a success.

Www.businessinsider.com

2. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

slash2015 and Fuzz Nuts like this.
  3. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Will watch if he punches out producer at the end of every show.

Vidiot, John Mahlin, GIRLY and 2 others like this.
  4. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I can't wait. Why I got prime.

New top gear sucked this year. Lost all the magic. I do like Leblanc.

5. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hopefully this guy can refrain from assaulting his coworkers.

I hope they can recapture the magic that made Top Gear great.

RenchFries likes this.
  6. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love TG and have most of the shows on archive. But seriously, there is no excuse for workplace violence.

7. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    More people need to be punched and never are.

Bravo! :rah:

Fuzz Nuts, John Mahlin and RenchFries like this.
  8. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The test track is one of my favorite segments. How can that be a copyright infringement? Sounds to me like the cars will be pushed even further into the background and the dramas will be 90% of the show. Frankly, I thought they became too much of the original show. I like the new TG. It grew on me and the rally car was an improvement over the reasonably priced piece of crap.

9. RenchFries

Reputations:
    Apparently you cared enough to reply :dance:
    Except when people ask for it. :grad:

Getoninja and John Mahlin like this.
  10. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Getting a steak that's a little too cold for your liking is not reason to punch someone.

11. Mack

Mack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I loved the original, but I also like the American version, which many don't seem to care for.

12. RenchFries

Reputations:
    It was because he didn't get a steak at all.

Which is a good reason imo :coffee:

13. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who's Kelly Clarkson

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The only segements I really liked were the Stig and celebrity driving segments. I'm into cars, not comedy related to cars.

15. RenchFries

Reputations:
    Stupid Legal Reasons Mean That Clarkson & Co Are Banned From Saying These Things On The Grand Tour - News
    It seems the BBC are looking for any opportunity to sue The Grand Tour if Clarkson takes the slightest morsel from his previous Top Gear adventures. Andy Wilman - the producer of the new Amazon car show - has revealed that the rules the old Top Gear trio are subjected to are unbelievably tough and fully protect the Top Gear BBC show from any form of copyright.

As if there wasn’t enough drama surrounding the break-up with the BBC, The Grand Tour cannot feature a written lap time board, a Stig or even refer to the motor news section as ‘The News’. There can be no Top Gear test track and there has even been a debate over whether James May can use his ‘cock’ catchphrase.

The legal scenario was made even more ridiculous when the trio went on a shoot to Namibia. As they had described the African scenery as ‘beautiful’ in past Top Gear episodes, Clarkson has had to resort to saying “For legal reasons, this scenery is shit”.

Despite the frankly ridiculous legal restrictions forced upon the new show, we’re all looking forward to seeing what The Grand Tour has to offer

16. Reverend Maynard

Reverend Maynard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Noel Gallagher: "I was disappointed that Clarkson was sacked because I understand his frustration. After the age of 45, my tolerance for having a hot meal ready has gone way down. I'd have punched him too."

redshirt, superstone and Fuzz Nuts like this.
  17. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm sick of hearing they don't have a release date. Enough with the hype, the name was a let down. I'm still looking forward to seeing the 3 amigos. Watched the new TG and god was it painful. No chemistry, unfunny, awkward, half the people I have no idea who they were, too many people, I give it 3 seasons before the BBC finally put the last nail in the coffin.