Politics 11-term Democrat Congressman Indicted on Bribery, Money Laundering Charges

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ltd86, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Pennsylvania Democrat indicted on charges of bribery, money laundering

[​IMG]

Rep. Chaka Fattah (D-Pa.) was indicted Wednesday on more than a dozens federal charges surrounding his unsuccessful run for Philadelphia mayor in 2007.

The 11-term Democrat and four associates were indicted on 29 federal counts, including bribery, money laundering, falsification of records and multiple counts of bank fraud, among other charges.
    Fattah faces 16 charges related to conspiracy, mail fraud and falsification of records, each carrying sentences up to 20 years in prison. Another six charges, including bank fraud, carry a combined 100 years in prison if he’s convicted.

The longtime lawmaker maintained his innocence while speaking with reporters on Wednesday and insisted he will run for reelection next year.

“I will be on the ballot in my district,” said Fattah, who appeared relaxed when speaking after his indictment was released.

“We’ve moved from an investigation to an actual allegation,” Fattah said at the Capitol. “I think I’ll stand by my original position, which was, as an elected official, I’ve never been involved in any illegal activity or misappropriation of funds.”

“We’ll have to live with the judgment that they make,” he added, referring to his constituents.

Just a few weeks ago, Fattah was photographed on Air Force One giving a hug to Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to President Obama. Fattah traveled with Obama to Philadelphia, where the president gave a speech on criminal justice reform.

The White House on Wednesday declined to comment on the charges facing Fattah but said Obama did not know about the impending indictment at the time of the Philadelphia trip.

Fattah, a senior appropriator who serves as the ranking member of the committee’s Commerce and Justice departments subpanel, stepped down from that position within hours of the announcement Wednesday.

Assistant Attorney General Leslie R. Caldwell said Fattah and the others “embarked on a wide-ranging conspiracy involving bribery, concealment of unlawful campaign contributions and theft of charitable and federal funds to advance their own personal interests.”

The DOJ alleges that Fattah borrowed $1 million from a wealthy donor during his 2007 mayoral bid, returning $400,000 in unused funds and devising a scheme to repay the remaining $600,000 using charitable and federal grants filtered through a non-profit — the Educational Advancement Alliance — created and headed by Fattah.

The DOJ also alleges that Fattah used funds from both his mayoral and congressional campaigns to pay down his son’s student loan debts. The repayments, totaling roughly $23,000, were paid by a political consulting company that had received the money directly from the campaigns, the DOJ alleged.

Questioned about allegations he steered funds toward his son’s student loan debt, Fattah said, “It is true that I’ve helped millions of young people go to college,” citing his other legislative efforts.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) issued a brief statement praising Fattah’s commitment to the middle class and characterizing the charges as “deeply saddening.”

“Congressman Fattah has been a tireless and effective advocate for America’s hard-working families across more than 20 years of distinguished service in the House,” Pelosi said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ennsylvania-rep-indicted-in-racketeering-case

1Vegasgirl and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  2. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Why do I feel this won't even get 10% of the attention that Aaron Schock's scandal did?

1Vegasgirl, ravenrules and Birddog like this.
  3. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Does Charlie know he's moving in on his racket:

[​IMG]

4. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    On Politico right now, there's a story on their front page about Aaron Schock :jj:

But no story about Fattah....

Biff DiBiase and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  5. Trainwreckjm

Trainwreckjm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    They elected s guy called Chaka Fattah.. Jokes on them

reno, ravenrules, kingship and 2 others like this.
  7. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    He will be mayor of Philly soon. Democrats :facepalm:

8. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
  9. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Thieves and grifters are comfortable among their own kind.

10. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:

Since I never contribute to political threads, I'll just leave this here:
    [​IMG]

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  11. Horrorillogium

Horrorillogium Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anything else robin ? :coffee:

12. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    She should be there with him.

reno and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    These guys keep making the mistake of thinking everyone is as dumb as their constituency. The Republican crooks have to be more sophisticated.

14. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    LTD thinks that Republican crooks don't exist :coffee:

reno likes this.
  15. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This one managed to embarrass the FBI, the Marines and the entire Italian American community.
    Well, actually I lied about the community part. Those wacky ginzos re-elected him even after it was obvious he was going to jail.

Michael Gerard Grimm (born February 7, 1970) is an American businessman and politician who represented New York in the United States Congress from 2011 to 2015. Grimm represented New York's 13th congressional district during his first term, after which he represented New York's 11th congressional district. Both districts consisted of Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn. Grimm is a member of the Republican Party, and during his time in office was the only Republican to represent a significant portion of New York City. He is a former FBI agent, businessman, attorney, and U.S. Marine, having served in the Persian Gulf War.

On April 28, 2014, Grimm was charged by federal authorities with 20 counts of fraud, federal tax evasion, and perjury. On December 23, 2014, he pleaded guilty to a single count of felony tax fraud, and "acknowledged committing perjury, hiring illegal immigrants, and committing wire fraud." After initially vowing to retain his seat, Grimm announced on December 30, 2014, that he would resign from Congress effective January 5, 2015. On May 5, 2015, Daniel M. Donovan, Jr. won the special election to replace Grimm. On July 17, 2015, Grimm was sentenced to eight months in prison for tax evasion.

[​IMG]

16. Jim J Jiblets

Jim J Jiblets #Hillary'sTongue

Reputations:

potroast likes this.
  17. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wow what a surprise!!! Hmmm.. They all steal he just got caught.

Calloused Shins likes this.
  18. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My father always said,"show me a politician, and I'll show you a crook." Lots of them on both sides!

Honkey Donkey and sstressed like this.
  19. aquadog

aquadog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This guy is married to a big news anchor down in philly.

TheJackiePuppet likes this.
  20. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    If this was a republican, they would've already resigned. Yes, I'm sure there are examples of those that didn't, but democrats hold onto power like it was their birthright.

sstressed and PI Nate like this.