Mystery 1987 CROPSEY:The summer kids from Staten Island discovered their urban legend was real

Discussion in 'Unexplained Mysteries' started by pheelios, Jul 20, 2014.

1. pheelios

pheelios Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Growing up on Staten Island, filmmakers Joshua Zeman and Barbara Brancaccio had often heard the legend of ‘Cropsey.’ For the kids in their neighborhood, Cropsey was the escaped mental patient who lived in the old abandoned Willowbrook Mental Institution, who would come out late at night and snatch children off the streets. Sometimes Cropsey had a hook for a hand, other times he wielded a bloody axe, but it didn’t matter, Cropsey was always out there, lurking in the shadows, waiting to get them.

Later as teenagers, the filmmakers assumed Cropsey was just an urban legend: a cautionary tale used to keep them out of those abandoned buildings and stop them from doing all those things that teenagers like to do. That all changed in the summer of 1987 when a 12-year-old girl with Down syndrome, named Jennifer Schweiger, disappeared from their community. That was the summer all the kids from Staten Island discovered that their urban legend was real.

Donkeyboy2190 likes this.
  2. pheelios

Reputations:
    Like the child-killing clown in Stephen King’s “It,” the bogyman known as Cropsey was, to the children of Staten Island, a morphing symbol of evil. Hook-handed or ax-wielding, he was said to haunt the grounds of the abandoned Willowbrook State School for the mentally disabled, pouncing on the unwary and unprotected.

Perched at the intersection of psychological survey and serial-killer exposé, “Cropsey” loosens the girdle of the documentary form to accommodate much more than facts. Though loosely structured around the criminal trials of Andre Rand, convicted of kidnapping two of five children who disappeared on Staten Island between 1972 and 1987, the film is less a whodunit than a whythinkit. Was Mr. Rand, who is still in prison, really guilty, or simply a convenient receptacle for the ingrained terrors of a powerful urban legend?

[​IMG]

3. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I watched that documentary a while back, probably around the time it first came out. It was interesting, but I remember not enjoying it overall because I felt the end was fabricated.

Don't remember exactly why. Like they interviewed the guy but he didn't want to appear on film so one of the filmmakers just recounted what had been said in the interview and it seemed really fake. Maybe I should watch it again?

4. pheelios

Reputations:
    I felt let down with the ending as well.
    I know a guy in New York that says he knows a lot about the case.
    He thinks it was a cult of Satanic worshipers, he gave me some names and I researched a bit on my own.
    I don't know what to believe, he did have a lot of facts right.

5. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    Is this on Netflix?

pheelios likes this.
  6. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This was on the crime channel recently.

7. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations: