1st Post: The Shocking Environmental Implications Of Wig Manor South

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by bethoats, May 18, 2013.

1. bethoats

bethoats New Member

Reputations:
    Being a lifelong Floridian, I can tell you that I absolutely hate it when people buy houses here to live in two months out of the year. From an environmental standpoint, it's disgusting. To maintain a lawn that size is going to require literally millions of gallons of water per year. The over-development of some areas of Florida has wreaked havoc on the environment. Florida is home to hundreds of springs that feed rivers and bays. Recently it's been discovered that the output of these springs is falling off dramatically because the aquifer is being sucked dry by guys like Howie who insist on living like a Roman Emperor. Because of this, ecosystems are being completely wiped out. The oyster and clam fisheries have just about collapsed. Sinkholes are a huge problem too, and they're often attributable to the alteration of the aquifer. Forget about all the fertilizer that will eventually find it's way into the aquifer. Or that once beautiful coast-line that everyone could at one point enjoy, is now accessible to only these two douchebags. Also, the land this gaudy monstrosity was built on was undoubtedly home to the gopher tortoise, an animal very important to the ecosystem that no doubt would be displaced by a house like this. These animals dig burrows which are crucial to the survival of many other species of animals. Don't even get me started on sea turtles...

The good news is that maybe Horse and that big pussy Howie will find a seagull on the beach that they can nurse back to health so that they can pretend to give a fuck about animals.

And for what? Wiggy and Horse, aren't going to contribute to the Florida economy in a significant way. Sure, they'll pay property taxes, but that won't make up for the strain that Wig Manor South will have on the environment. Florida has no income tax. They'll go out to a fancy restaurant every once and awhile, that'll be it. Believe it or not, the rural areas of Palm Beach County are some of the poorest areas in the US. Places like Belle Glade and Pahokee are sugarcane towns. These towns are dirt-poor and as depressing as could be imagined. Sugarcaning is brutal work. People are bussed in and live in trailers with no AC with lots of other people for minimum wage.

2. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    And Howard will continue to want the most pristine seafood available while he destroys the habitats that produce it.

3. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    are you saying owning 3 giant mansions and a giant condo is excessive for a couple with no kids (yet)? :rolleyes:

Im shocked tightwad wig is spending the money. he bought Pelican manor south for $10M over appraisal

4. meanne

meanne Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Let's hope Howard and BethO create a sinkhole with their latest monstrosity and get sucked into the earth they've destroyed.

(Too bad Howard didn't use the money he stole from Sirius to hire comedians/producers instead of buying another mansion. He might've ended his career on a positive note.)

5. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

"Get off my radio asshole. What next Robin?"

6. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    To be fair, if Howie didnt have that giant house that heis in a few months a year, it would probably be the sight of 10 smaller houses, with year round residents.

Would not their environmental footprint be more>

7. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What about the sea turtles?

8. bethoats

bethoats New Member

Reputations:
    Well, not really. I mean, those ten other residents still exist. And at least year round residents have some stake in their community. They pump money into the local community, they work there, vote there, send their kids to school there, start businesses there. A lot of people have started "zero-scaping" too. Planting native vegetation that doesn't need constant watering.

9. bethoats

bethoats New Member

Reputations:
    The artificial light from one of Howie's night-time croquet matches or cocktail parties could confuse a hatchling into crawling toward Wig Manor South instead of to the sea, which is illuminated by the moon. Maybe Beth could start a turtle patrol group to try to undo the damage she herself has caused.

10. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Well, most of the media-types, whether they be actors, musicians, big-radio guys, athletes, cause more damage to the environment than any average Joe yet those very same high-end polluters will call for the average Joe to make sacrifices that substantially cut into Joe's wealth.

Take an average Joe who makes $50k a year, eats hamburgers, drives a 5 year old Monte Carlo, flies maybe once a year, etc. To ask him to, say, get a Prius (new payments and higher insurance amounting to $8k a year), eat "green" (increasing food costs by 25%), pay more in utilities to support green energy (say an increase of 15% in utility bills), represents a significant cut in his lifestyle and wealth. And singularly, Joe doesn't impact the environment even a tenth of what these wealthy celebrities do to impact the environment.

Contrast that with the financial impact on a celebrity who only eats green foods, drives a Prius, installs $100k in solar panels on their home. . . . their lifestyle is impacted 0.0 because if you, say, make a million a year, what is $50k for a Prius (or whatever they cost), $5k in additional food costs to go green, or even $100k for solar panels (which won't have to be paid for next year)?

It's nothing. Vacations, second homes, entertainment on weekends, none of that stuff for the celebrity will be impacted.

Joe on the other hand? He will have to cut out going to the movies, going out to eat, etc, to afford the very things these celebrities hypocritically demand of him.

It's limousine liberalism in a bottle.

11. bethoats

bethoats New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah exactly. The hypocrisy when it comes to the "animal activism/environmentalism" that Beth and Howchie espouse is insane.

12. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

*That's* why I was asking about the sea turtles. .... :whistle:

13. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Also, let's remember that Pelican will be flying all the way to Florida from NY which leaves an enormous carbon footprint.

I don't know the numbers for NY to Palm Beach, but here's the numbers for Philly to Boston: flying costs 184 kg of CO2 per passenger whereas driving costs 104 kg of CO2 regardless of passenger number.

Who are the evolved people? People who dump CO2 into the air for pleasure at an incredible rate or people who pretty much only dump CO2 as part of making a far more meager living?

14. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm certainly not sticking up for the Stern's here, but your anger is misplaced. The developer is who you should be pissed at. As soon as that place was drawn up all your worries started. No matter who buys the place the damage was already done. That lawn was being watered from the day it was planted, not bought. Those tortoises were displaced by the construction, not the movers. See what I mean? If you want change then go after your city council and don't allow further expansion. No new building. Designate no build zones and the like. I just don't see where complaining about the buyers will do a thing. The damage is done by those destroying the land, not the ones buying the finished product.

You can say if there are no buyers then there would be no build. Not true, the build would have been much smaller but with many more houses in the same sq footage. That would have been worse. Making no new build rules stops all of it.

15. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    And another thing: I do not understand the Republican or TP dogma of not wanting to soak these ultra rich hypocrites.

The ultra rich hypocrites pollute the environment the most but want others to pay for the pollution because it makes them feel better or appear more evolved.

Why the fuck wouldn't the GOP and TP say, "soak those fuckers"?

And then there are the bankruptcy rules that heavily benefit the wealthy. If a rich guy goes belly up, his house boat is not up for grabs. We literally have a policy in this country that if a rich person can get a good enough attorney to guide them through bankruptcy, they'll emerge from bankruptcy living a lifestyle that remains out-of-reach for most Americans.

I've never seen Donald Trump living in a modest ranch home, have you? After prison and bankruptcy, did Mike Vick have to stay in a $400 apartment? Did he have to start taking the bus?

Soak the hypocritical fuckers, I say.

16. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Supply vs. demand. If more of the gilded-class refused to live such an opulent lifestyle, there would be fewer opulent palaces.

And Pelican had a choice. He could have chosen housing that caused far less negative impact.

But he didn't.

17. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    BUT all that land is still there and would have been made into strip housing so that the dev still made the same scratch just in much smaller packages No build is the only way to stop it.

18. pilo

pilo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  19. MissKitty

MissKitty Meow

Reputations:
    Rush yells about the lights having to be out along the coast because of the sea turtles. Howie won't be able to have security lights blazing.

20. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Al Gore figured this out a long time ago. You purchase 'carbon credits'. Gore flies around the world on a private jet. He owns dozens of cars for himself and his family. He owns multiple homes.

Yet he, according to himself, has a carbon footprint of zero. How is that possible? Because he sells carbon credits to green energy companies. On the taxpayer's dime of course. And those carbon credits magically offset his carbon footprint and give him a net carbon footprint of zero.

Gore uses planes, cars, boats, huge houses. But he uses his companies to lobby for green corporations to receive huge taxpayer subsidies. Those green corporations take in hundreds of millions to create useless windmills and solar panels. And Gore can say "hey I might use a private plane to fly between my mansions...but I helped a company make ten-thousand solar panels this year so I'm actually carbon neutral".

Gore was worth $1.7 million in 2001. Now he's worth over $200 million. Being connected politically pays off quite well it seems.
    Here's the difference between Trump and Vick. Trump gets tons of tax breaks and even taxpayer funded buildings because of political connections and political corruption. Michael Vick went bankrupt not because of financial crimes, but because of criminal legal fees from operating an illegal dog fighting ring, and loss of income from being in jail. Once Vick got out of jail he resumed a lucrative career in professional sports. Nothing wrong with that.