21 burned in walk over hot coals at Robbins event

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Jul 21, 2012.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Fire officials said 21 people at an event hosted by motivational speaker Tony Robbins suffered burns while walking across hot coals and three of the injured were treated at hospitals.
    The injuries took place during the first day Thursday of a four-day event at the San Jose Convention Center hosted by Robbins called "Unleash the Power Within." Most of those hurt had second and third degree burns, said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Reggie Williams.
    Walking across hot coals on lanes measuring 10 feet long and heated to between 1,200 to 2,000 degrees provides attendees an opportunity to "understand that there is absolutely nothing you can't overcome," according to the motivational speaker's website.
    Robbins Research International said in a written statement that 6,000 attendees of the event walked across the coals Thursday.
    Requests for additional information from The Associated Press were not immediately returned.
    Organizers had an "open burn permit" and medical staff at the event, and there was also a fire inspector on the scene, Williams said.
    "Once they (the medical staff) became overwhelmed, our inspector called for us," Williams said.
    Witness Jonathan Correll was not attending the event, but when he saw a large crowd gathered on a closed-off surface street near the convention center, he got off the light rail he was riding to see what was going on.
    "I just heard these screams of agony," he told The Associated Press. People were in pain. It sounded like people were being tortured."
    Correll, 25, of San Jose, said he saw three ambulances, about 10 to 15 people on the ground being treated by paramedics and some people being wheeled away on stretchers.
    "It was really just chaos," he said.
    Participant Sahar Madani told KTVU-TV that attendees were warned that they might get burns or blisters.
    "The intention of the event is to get your focus and your attention away from that and look into the power within yourself and focus on just walking on the fire," she told the station.
    Robbins, 52, who bills himself as an entrepreneur and "peak performance strategist," has written five books that are published in 14 languages, and has sold more than 40 million audiotapes of a professional development system dubbed "Personal Power," according to his website.
    His infomercials have continuously aired on average every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day somewhere in North America since their initial introduction in April 1989, the website says.
    Robbins Research International said Friday, "We have been safely providing this experience for more than three decades, and always under the supervision of medical personnel ... We continue to work with local fire and emergency personnel to ensure this event is always done in the safest way possible."
    Williams did not have any additional details, such as the ages or names of those hurt.

2. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;BrB_6j-tZZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrB_6j-tZZw[/video]

3. Horff

Horff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Those people obviously did not believe hard enough.

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Racist Banned User

Reputations:
  5. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Good. I hope it leads to infections and amputations. Fucking idiots.

6. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Wasn't Tony Robbins a guest on Howard's show a while back.

7. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;B7a2rFpWi44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7a2rFpWi44[/video]

8. dr retarded

dr retarded New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Some events really do cry out for a mass murderer in a Joker outfit.

9. Vdrummer35

Vdrummer35 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    that's a good start, can we have a second wave of idiots over to the same place the next session?

10. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Think about it.

These people aren't just willfully surrendering their self-sovereignty to a horse-faced con artist, they're PAYING significant amounts to do so.

These people are societal cancers. They should be shunned and laughed at. The fact that there's a marginal respect for grifters like Robbins and Chopra is sickening. They're no better than the "ministers" on late night TV who'll "give" healing anointed oil for a generous "donation." Fuck 'em all and fuck the hoodwinked sheep who pay for their jets, yachts and mansions.

11. Vdrummer35

Vdrummer35 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    if they can't fuck your ass they fuck you bank account?

12. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    Really man. If that kid from Colorado have shown up here he would have been a hero..

13. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I've seen Tony live at a day long event i was roped into attending years ago in Long Beach CA. He serves up a regurgitated readers digest crock of shit version of the ideas of really good motivational gurus past and present like Earl Nightinggale, Lou Tice, Clement Stone and Rev Norman Vincent Peale. Just pap for the gullible.

14. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    I'm digressing a bit, but fuckheads like Chopra and Robbins travel in the same dangerous circles.

[video=youtube;Z-FaXD_igv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FaXD_igv4[/video]

Might as well get behind this guy:

[video=youtube;XREnvJRkif0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREnvJRkif0[/video]

At least you get to wear a cool t shirt.

[​IMG]

15. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Walking on hot coals is not a mind over body miracle. The coals are poor conductors of heat and as long as you don't stay too long on them, they shouldn't burn you. Notice how these stupid walks are always done at night? That is to make the glowing coals look hot and intimidating.

16. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;Xd6hSM5TA1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd6hSM5TA1M[/video]

17. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I didn't read all that...in fact none of it..
    but yes stepping on hot stuff tends to burn

18. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I was going to go see him once but I never got around to it.

19. Batwings

Batwings Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fuckin funny.

20. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Pastorbates :jj: :giggle:

[video=youtube;8aKFWvOot9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKFWvOot9k[/video]