21 years ago today. OJ Simpson

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JesusTwinsBiggestFan, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    time flies! one of the few moments in history i can remember where i was at while watching this. if you ever get a chance to watch the espn 30 for 30 called "june 17, 1994" you should watch it. it is a good program on that day in sports history. arnold palmer's final day on the us open, opening ceremony of the 1994 world cup held in the states, ny rangers parade for winning the stanley cup and game five of the nba finals between the rockets and knicks, oj's low speed chase thru LA and back when has been howard was a must listen

US television viewers were glued to their sets as cops chased American footballer-turned-actor OJ Simpson around Los Angeles following the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman.

[​IMG]

The city of Los Angeles – and indeed, thanks to television coverage, most of the US – came to a standstill on this day in 1994 as actor and former American footballer OJ Simpson led police on a low-speed car chase across Southern California.

Simpson was a suspect in the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ronald Goldman, which had occurred late on June 12 outside Brown’s home in Brentwood; he had been given permission to turn himself in at a nearby police station by 11am on June 17.

At least 1,000 reporters gathered at the police station at the appointed time, but the sporting icon failed to appear. Three hours later, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) issued an all-points bulletin for his arrest.

At 6.20pm Simpson was spotted in his white Ford Bronco, being driven by his friend Al Cowlings. Police spotted the car at around 6.45, but Cowlings shouted to them that Simpson was in the back of the vehicle with a gun to his head, and that they should back off.

And so, while Cowlings maintained a steady 35 mph, the Bronco continued along the highway, being followed by around 20 police cars. Before long, more than 20 media helicopters were following the chase, broadcasting it live on the three main TV networks, CNN and many local channels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As the pursuit continued, over 95 million people tuned in to the broadcast. Thousands gathered on overpasses along the route of Interstate 405, some holding signs in support of the beleaguered star, all wondering whether the chase would end dramatically – or violently.

LAPD detective Tom Lange called Simpson on his cell phone to plead with the actor to give up, but to no avail. The chase ended outside Simpson’s Brentwood mansion at around 8pm, but he remained in the car for another 45 minutes, negotiating to speak to his mother before giving himself up.

Finally, at around 9pm, after being allowed to phone his mother, the man known as ‘the Juice’ gave himself up to police as hundreds of supporters gathered outside his home chanting “free OJ”. Simpson’s trial would begin the following January.

OJ Simpson – Did you know?

• Orenthal James Simpson was a highly successful collegiate and professional American footballer who even before the end of his sporting career had begun acting as a sideline, appearing in films including The Towering Inferno, Capricorn One and The Naked Gun.

• He had married Nicole Brown, his second wife, in 1985 and the couple (pictured below) had two small children. They had divorced in 1992; Simpson had been found guilty of spousal abuse in 1989.
      • [​IMG]

• Brown and Goldman had been savagely stabbed to death, with Brown bearing wounds to her head and neck as well as defensive wounds on her hands.
      • At 5pm on June 17, Simpson instructed his lawyer Robert Kardashian to read a statement to the press, which said: “I had nothing to do with Nicole's murder ... Don't feel sorry for me. I've had a great life." Some read this to mean Simpson was planning suicide.
      • The man who drove Simpson during the low-speed chase, Al Cowlings, was a former Buffalo Bills team mate who claimed the actor had held a gun to his head and forced him to take the wheel. He was charged with aiding a fugitive, but the charge was later dropped.
    [​IMG]

• Simpson’s trial (a pivotal moment from which is pictured above), ran from January to October 1995 and was one of the most widely-followed and reported-on in US history. More than 100 million people watched or listened live as the verdict of not guity was delivered.
      • In 1997 Brown’s father and Goldman’s parents brought a civil suit of wrongful death against Simpson. The court awarded $33.5 million in damages to the families; little of these had been paid by the time of Simpson’s Las Vegas arrest in 2007.
      • As a result of that arrest, Simpson was tried and convicted of kidnapping, armed robbery and 10 other charges. He was sentenced to 33 years in jail, which he is currently serving at Lovelock Prison in Nevada.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  2. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    How did Al Cowlings totally avoid prison?

And didn't Cowlings drive him to the murder scene?

IfTheyOnlyKnew and smichal like this.
  3. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    That's the last time we were relevant Robin........Robin?

Nick Manning likes this.
  4. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Yassah. I sees O. J. and he look scared.

5. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this is quite the tenses.

6. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    The real shame!

Now that he's been in prison, there's no one out there continuing the search for the real killer! :(

[​IMG]

7. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
    OJ's a good guy...I'd like to pat him on the back. :coffee:
    [​IMG]

8. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The Ford Bronco was a decent vehicle.

GIRLY and babybear like this.
  9. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:

joeybo, GIRLY, zutroy and 5 others like this.
  10. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lest anyone think.... this is farcical post

11. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
  12. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:

ahh...the good old days

13. Winston Leg-Thigh

Winston Leg-Thigh Well-Known Member

Reputations:

"Let's say I committed this crime...even if I did do this, it would have been because I loved her very much, right?"

14. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    Ron Goldman's dad works at a store in the mall/Scottsdale AZ

15. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    has anyone read this? (you can find a pdf if you look) i did, it's fucking insane. guy's an animal.

16. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh god, I don't think I could.
    Maybe someday...

17. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
  18. moosetracks

moosetracks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My HS graduation day. wild day for sure

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  19. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    I read this:

[​IMG]

There has been a lot of speculation about the information in this book......but even if a sliver of it is true.....it's a compelling read.

20. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    what did it say?