Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Calloused Shins, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I think about what life was like in 1915, I think in black n white. Things seemed more simple then. The people seemed more simple, in my mind less intelligent. We have invented so many things over the last thirty years, fuck, the past ten years. I feel I'm smarter than most doctors, because I can find pretty much any answer to any question in a matter of seconds on my phone. Next month, I'll do the same on my watch. Will things keep progressing at such a fast pace that people in 2115 will be vacationing on mars thinking of us as conquerors?

smichal likes this.
  2. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    In a hundred years I fear our world will look more like "mad max" than "the jetsons"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    It was simpler in 1915. You got pneumonia, you died. Simple.

smichal, NyMarkNy and Skipnoid like this.
  4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Back then the hot chicks were covered up like they were Muslims. If you saw an ankle, that was hot.

smichal likes this.
  5. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Welcome, Millennial.

6. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I think human intelligence more or less stays the same on average :dontknow: How can the history of intelligence even be studied?

smichal and NyMarkNy like this.
  7. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here's what I think will happen between now and 2115.

(1) Reproductive methods will continue to improve and as such, world population will continue to spiral upward and reach 10 billion by 2115. As a result, there will be an active movement to limit families to 2 children each. This will not be a law but having more than that will be considered socially undesirable. Lifespans will continue to lengthen, with millions of people living past 100 while remaining relatively healthy.

(2) Computers will become much more sophisticated by 2115. Keyboards will become ancient relics as voice recognition will be commonplace. The better homes will be fully computer integrated.

(3) Religious and race hatred will continue. This has lasted for centuries in human history and there is no reason why it will abate or disappear in the next 100 years. I don't think there will ever be another real attempt at genocide because nothing can be done in secret anymore - there is too much media around. But there will always be clashes.

(4) One country will use a nuke. It won't be a big one and it may be on another country that nobody cares about. That country may use a briefcase nuke on its own people. Think the Kurds in Iraq. The other nations will roundly criticize the using nation and isolate it. Nukes will never be used again.

(5) Television as we know it will be long gone. The broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC) will either have gone bankrupt or merged with internet and cable companies. Free, over the air TV that we remember from the 20th century will be gone by 2050. Programs will either be broadcast over the internet (which will be much bigger and faster than we know it today) or via cable to a monitor.

(6) Robotic planetary explorers will become much more self-sufficient thanks to improving computer technology. Rather than wait for instructions from Earth, which the Spirit and Opportunity rovers now do on Mars, the new rovers will have computers on board that can think for themselves and direct the rovers to where they need to go and what they need to do. This will make for much faster and more efficient exploration because there won't be communication delays between Earth and the rovers. Engineers on Earth will oversee the missions but won't be directly involved.

(7) Fossil fuels will continue to be the main source of energy for the remainder of the 21st century. They will be supplanted somewhat by other technologies, but until we really start to run out, we will be using fossil fuels. Too much of the world economy relies on oil. I personally would love to see the development of cold fusion in my children's lifetimes (forget about mine) but the oil companies will never allow a real competitor to ruin their businesses until they have no choice.

(8) Cars will never fly. Its just too dangerous. There are already millions of accidents per year using ground-based vehicles. Flying cars would cause a whole new danger. However, I do believe that cars will drive by computer fairly soon - you will just get in, enter your destination into the car's computer and off you go. The car will use GPS technology to get where it needs to go, and built in safeguards will prevent most accidents.

(9) There will be a few manned missions to Mars, but that's it. No colonies on Mars or anywhere else by 2115. Interplanetary space travel is too hazardous and too slow for humans to experience. Not only are the distances between planets far too large for humans to endure (I don't believe there is any way any human can endure an 11 month trip to Mars in any kind of spacecraft) but there are numerous other hazards as well - radiation in interplanetary space can be deadly and the long-term effects of weightlessness are still unknown. Mars itself is a pretty inhospitable place. There is a very thin atmosphere, which is poisonous to us, gravity is only 38% that of Earth, and there is no ozone layer to protect humans from gamma and other rays that can cause cancer.

We shouldn't be in space anyway. Humanity is still too backward to colonize other worlds. If we were able to colonize Mars right now, all we'd be doing is spreading race and religious hatred to that world. We need to stay here until we grow up.

Pretty bleak? Maybe. But in his book "3001 - Final Odyssey", Arthur C. Clarke posits that humanity will never discover a propulsion system that will allow humans to leave our solar system even by 3001, and that at best, the only worlds other than Earth that will have human colonies are Mars and a few of the moons of Jupiter.

8. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    we may be smarter--this could be the case
    we are much much more fucking useless however--this cannot be argued
    how many women today can sew anything?
    how many grown fucking men you know that need to call AAA to change a tire?
    fucking right i'm grumpy today

2115-family feud will still be on the air(still mildly entertaining after all these years)

9. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard's cryo-head will be attached to a frail twinky body and he'll promptly call Don Buchwald IV to sue since the cock he was promised isn't girthy.

smichal likes this.
  10. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    A very interesting and well thought out post, PF.

The difficulty with making these predictions, as I see it, is twofold. Most obvious is the fact that, for all our ability to speculate, we simply have no way of knowing what unforeseen discovery or breakthrough may be lurking on the horizon. But perhaps even more fundamental than that is the way that two or more somewhat disparate areas of advancement can suddenly arise and compliment one another with a compounding effect that results in whole which is infinitely greater than the sum of its parts.

The internal combustion engine was an idea that had been tinkered with for many years. But it wasn't until the invention of the assembly line that our transportation industry was revolutionized. The Wright brothers' work in the area of aerodynamics was clearly groundbreaking. But it was importance advances in materials science that allowed their discovery to flourish so rapidly. Advances in rocketry and propulsion relied upon the binary genius of rudimentary computer systems to get us to the moon. And these very same rudimentary computers needed the discovery of the integrated circuit to change to way our world operates at nearly every level.

So as hard as it is to predict a single paradigm changing discovery, it's all but impossible to imagine how two or more might compliment one another.

smichal likes this.
  11. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Too soon

12. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The field is called biological anthropology.

13. Johnnykstaint

Reputations:
    Im aware of anthropology but i thought they more studied the societies and civilizations - intelligence exists without a direct correlation to a culture's built or physical environment like books, art, etc. Im not an anthropologist but i thought that that WAS the consensus, that homo sapiens from 100k years ago and us are about the same intelligence.

14. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's a term called behavioral modernity. As to whether it happened at once or is a continuing event is debatable.

15. Johnnykstaint

Reputations:
    That's not intelligence though, is it?

16. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  17. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't make a mockery

18. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i shant

smichal likes this.
  19. Johnnykstaint

Reputations:
    He's talking about humans 100 years ago - there cant be any sizable difference in intelligence, can there?

20. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    True but my original post was to point out that the development of human intelligence can be studied.