3 Phases of Howard Fandom ...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rebel Rebel, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Rebel Rebel

Rebel Rebel Member

Reputations:
    1. Classic Period

When the Show was fueled by the enthusiasm and hard work of multiple talented guys like Howard, Jackie and Billy West. It strove to break boundaries, be funny, and create a unique environment where current events could be talked about more honestly than anywhere else in the mainstream media.

Even if you didn't necessarily admit it to more conservative friends or coworkers, there was nothing personally embarrassing about being a Howard Stern fan at this time.

2. SFN Period

Towards the end of the K-Rock days, and especially once Howard's performance incentives were met at Sirius, the Show started its decline. Losing key players like Billy West and Jackie was compounded by the hours of tedious airtime Howard dedicated to self-serving topics like the FCC, Clear Channel, and the merger with XM.

This is when you could start to feel legitimately disappointed or embarrassed about being a regular listener. A lot of people began distancing themselves from the actual content of the Show, and spending more time in the SFN community. At the original SFN, it was still possible to find humor and intelligent debate, even if this involved criticizing the state of the Stern Show itself.

3. Post-SFN Period

Which brings us to now. In the wake of Artie's departure and Howard's "austerity measures" (putting way less time and effort into the Show as a punishment for his lower salary), it's almost impossible to feel good about being a regular listener anymore. The constant dishonesty, sleazy advertising, lack of content, and general disregard for the audience is so unappealing that many people feel the Stern Show isn't even worth listening to for free, let alone for $100+ per year.

It doesn't need to be explained why SFN is now a similarly unappealing source of comedy or entertainment. What the experiment with SFsN proved, though, is that the Stern Show can still be the basis for a community that is geared toward honesty, intelligence, and having fun. The only difference is that this community is now made up of people who have almost completely stopped listening to the Show, and rightfully feel insulted by the way Howard has sold out his audience to indulge his and Beth's greedy aspirations.

What's left is a community full of smart, funny people who take pleasure in frustrating Howard's and Beth's vain attempts to move up the ranks in the Hamptons and Hollywood power-structures. Ironically, censoring SFN and getting SFsN shut down was such a blatant attack on Howard's true fans that it will inspire all kinds of entertaining Internet projects dedicated to mocking his and Beth's shallow careers outside of radio.

The comments on the HGTV message board are a great example of how this community will be able to organize and express itself in the future. It will be very entertaining to see how this movement "evolves", playing a major part in the final chapter in the Stern Show Tragedy (which Howard 100% brought on himself as a result of greed, selfishness, and putting his trust in the wrong woman).

Quoting ClumpyStern's "10-Step Formula for a Horrible Premature Retirement" for truth ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
  3. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    (1) the buildup, (2) the spark, (3) the explosion, (4) the aftermath

(actually it's the 4 stages of anger, but it applies)

4. Wigless

Wigless Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. RobinsLeftFlap

RobinsLeftFlap New Member

Reputations:
    I would love to see the "old fans" wreak havoc on "new Howard." I'll help in any way I can.

6. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    I'd argue it's even simpler than that: Phase 1-Goofing with Howard; Phase 2-Goofing on Howard.

When you spend 25+ years saying funny but really brutal shit about people for X, Y, & Z in a very public medium, you can't really complain when the same hard-core fan base you cultivated during that whole period turn all of your own funny but brutal observations right back on you after you do a 180 and become almost every single thing that you goofed on so viciously all that time. The fact that hipocrisy and censorship were two of your most important themes all that time only makes it that much worse when you try to pretend you haven't become everything you once goofed on and you then compound the problem by exercising and promoting censorship of your fans' honest opinions. Good job. Stupid.

7. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    cool story, bro.

8. oh the good old

oh the good old aka Empty Wallet

Reputations:
    WOW! That about says it all; I still listen, and I will tomorrow morninig; but will hate myself a little bit for doing it. Kudos to the movement in "torturing" these two with their post radio projects! Mutt and all these hangers on will be droppped like hot cakes (see-Artie). Artie annoyed me sometimes, but at least it continued the tradition of having an actual COMEDIAN on the show to help make us laugh, help us get through the slog of days/weeks/months/years together. His retribution for his new contract of less days and starting the "news" at 9am is as clear as day; he is getting back at the perceived slight; but we his fans lose out even more. THIS SHOW IS A FUCKING SHADOW OF IT'S FORMER SELF! Howie, I hope your trolls report this back to you, I know you focus on any negative commentary, the 'show' is currently at an ALL TIME LOW; can you drag it down further? time will tell...:cool:

9. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    No question about it. You thought listening to him talk about just watching DWTS and AGT everyday and interviewing shitbags like Nick Cannon was bad? Soon, he'll be opening every fuckin' show with 90 minutes of in-depth details and endless clips of his contribution to a show you purposely avoid on TV. It will be a repeat of 1997 except about something his fans care a lot less about than his movie.

10. shaygitz

shaygitz Member

Reputations:
    It sucks for people who remember the young, motivated, honest, *funny* Howard. But seen as a move to stem the rapid fading of his relevance, it's brilliant. I mean, this is a guy who once had David Bowie perform at his birthday party. AGT could lead to other things, and the eventual demise of the show-- which would be a blessing at that point.

11. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    uhhhmmm... what the fuck means: "HGTV message board"? Serious, like.
    House & Garden Transvestite?

[​IMG]

12. Senator Rick

Reputations:
    Somebody please tell me what "HGTV" is bump.
    Not being an asshole... I don't know. Is there a special AGT site alloted for Howard fans & ex-fans?

13. Rebel Rebel

Rebel Rebel Member

Reputations:
  14. max rockatansky

max rockatansky I'm just here for the gasoline Gold

Reputations:

:facepalm:

15. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
  16. max rockatansky

max rockatansky I'm just here for the gasoline Gold

Reputations:
    For me I was never able to listen to the show until the move to Sirius. I had always watched the E! show and loved it so I was super excited to be able to finally hear the radio show on Sirius. I would say the first month was really awesome for me. The show had a lot of energy and everyone was having a good time. After the first month it seemed to have a slow stalling out. There were supposed to be all of these new shows programmed for H100 and H101. A few shows were made, some were good some not so good. But then it seemed the newness started to wear off. Now that the show had all this room to expand and freedom from censorship it seemed that there was no real drive to take full advantage of it. I kept waiting to hear at least the level of bits that I had enjoyed watching on E! Of course now there was HowardTV but there was not anything that compelling that I was hearing on the radio show to make me want to pay more to see it on TV. It seemed to me the fire was going out on the show. More commercials, more bumpers, constantly playing the same phone call bits over and over as filler, constant talk about douchery prime time network shows that I would never watch or care about. I kept hoping that the radio show on Sirius would be as magical as the shows that I watched on E! were but I eventually realized that it would never be - I had missed the golden age of Howard Stern. I moved on. I could no longer pallet what the show had become. Deep down I continue to hope that the show will return to its former glory and I will be there to listen if it ever does. But in reality I am really disappointed and shocked at what the show has become and know it is very unlikely that the show will ever be listenable for me again.

17. Senator Rick

Reputations:
  18. Engaged Chicken

Engaged Chicken VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  19. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1. Euphoria
    2. Complacency
    3. Denial.