News 31 Americans On Board Cargo Ship Lost In Hurricane Joaquin

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Oct 2, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    31 Americans among the crew on cargo ship missing in Hurricane Joaquin

Search under way for container ship caught in hurricane

The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a lost cargo ship with 33 people aboard, including 31 Americans, as Category 4 Hurricane Joaquin slams the Bahamas.

Officials said the 735-foot ship, known as El Faro, was en route to San Juan, Puerto Rico, from Jacksonville, Florida. They said they received notification that the ship had lost power around 7 a.m. ET Thursday near Crooked Island in the eastern Bahamas, one of the islands most battered by the storm.

The Coast Guard said the crew told officials the ship had taken on water but that they eventually contained the flooding, Fox30 reported.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families," TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico said in a statement.

Captain Mark Fedor, chief of response for the 7th Coast Guard District in Miami, told Fox News the vessel was very close to the eye of Joaquin when the power cut out.

Two Air Force C-130 Hurricane Hunter aircrews tried to locate and reestablish communications with the El Faro unsuccessfully Thursday. Coast Guard crews remain on scene and will continue search efforts Friday by both air and sea.

Fedor said the C-130's were flying over the area at an altitude of 2,000 feet, much lower than the 10,000 feet at which Hurricane Hunter aircraft usually fly, in order to see through the heavy rains and sea spray as they search for the missing ship.

"We're going to do the best we can during daylight hours," Fedor said of the search.

Fedor said the El Faro was carrying 294 trailers and automobiles in its hold, in addition to the 391 shipping containers on-deck, as it battled 20 to 30 foot seas.

"This is what we do... if there is potential of a life to save," Fedor said. Along with the 31 Americans, officials say two crew members are Polish citizens.

Meantime, governors in five East Coast states have declared a state of emergency Friday as the coast prepares for potential torrential rain and severe flooding from Joaquin.

The hurricane is unlikely to make direct landfall, but forecasters are warning of flash floods from historic Charleston, South Carolina, to Washington, D.C., and officials in Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia are bracing for the worst.

But the slow-moving storm continued to batter parts of the Bahamas, cutting communication to several islands, most of them lightly populated. There have been no reports of fatalities or injuries, Capt. Stephen Russell, the director of the Bahamas National Emergency Management Agency told the Associated Press.

Residents reached by relatives said they were "trapped in their homes, and reported feeling as if their structures were caving in," Russell added. "It's too dangerous to go outside because the flood waters are so high, so we ask that persons stay inside and try to go into the most secure place of their home."

Joaquin is packing maximum sustained winds of 130 mph, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami reports. As of 11 a.m. EDT Friday, the storm was centered about 5 miles of Rum Cay and was moving north near 3 mph. Hurricane force winds extended outward up to 50 miles and a hurricane watch was in effect for Bimini and Andros Island.

2. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG] This ship shows up when doing a search for El Faro.

In this day and age it must be pretty daring to sail into that area with a storm moving through. I bet they were cursing the boss.

jaw_belize, BethSucks and Rescued Owl like this.
  3. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  4. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's crazy. It's not like the storm popped up out of nowhere. Couldn't pick a worse time to lose power.

5. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This image Comes up when I google "el pibe", the el faros sister vessel:

[​IMG]

6. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they are just doing some karaoke.they will respond in a few moments

7. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I used to do a lot of work in Port Newark and got to see some of the damage to ships and containers from storms. Just imagine what it takes to crush a shipping container like a beer can. There isn't enough money in the world to get me out there. I feel for those guys and their families. Sad
    [​IMG]

8. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:

9. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I used to work for a company that was getting a couple of containers a week from there that originated in Europe. They lost containers over the side quite a few times. The bottom of the ocean must be littered with shipping containers.

10. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is it normal for a ship to go through a storm like that?

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  11. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I guess it's just part of the job. The winter storms are the worst. Check out the Youtube vids of ships on the North Sea in winter. Winds 60 to 70 knots, waves 20 feet and higher. It. gets crazy out there

12. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The headline is really odd to me, the crew is nearly all American

13. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Honestly it isn't like this thing snuck up on them why go thru it?

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  14. Krinkle

Krinkle What?

Reputations:
    The company I used to work for, lost four containers filled with epoxy paint, that was bound for Australia 20 plus years ago. The sea floor under the shipping lanes has to be an environmental nightmare.

Rescued Owl likes this.
  15. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's not abnormal for a ship to try and weather out a storm like this but since it is so slow moving they increased the chances of something happening. If they lost power or propulsion they would have went broadside to the wind and waves. Bad bad shit. Rolling around and then a cargo shift to one side and you can say good bye. And no raft or lifeboat is gonna stand up to that.
    I have been out in 100 knots of wind and 60 foot seas. It is not fun or funny. Hope they are ok but f they are not heard from soon, its gonna be bad.

16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I think the real shocking thing here is a cargo ship with mostly Americans crewing it.

17. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:

[​IMG]

AmishGirl and Abner Devereaux like this.
  18. selloutwig

selloutwig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Out of the 3 options he must have thought option 3 was the best.
    Cause-------------------------------------------------Effect
    1. Turn around and go back to port.------------Lose time and money but potentially save lives.
    2. Go around storm.-------------------------------Lose time and money but potentially save lives.
    3. Damn the storm, full speed ahead.----------Save time and money but potentially lose lives.

NiggalissCage and Beths Arab like this.
  19. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wow had no idea it was like that.... What would crush the container? The waves?

20. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations: