35 years since the Miracle on Ice

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, Feb 13, 2015.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    The greatest sports moment in US history. I love this. A bunch of college boys beating the best professional team in the world. A team that was so hardly trained and skilled, no team in the world ever matched them. Not even a professional Canadian team could beat them. A Russian team that beat a future Hall of Fame NHL All Star team 6-0 in a game. It was an Olympic game they were suppose to lose 10-0 if the Russians took ease on them. Knowing their coach, he would've pushed the score higher being it was the Americans and he wanted to make a hockey point and political point in front of the world.

The United States send out a bunch of college kids to face the professional Red Russian Machine. College kids at home represented freedom vs communism. All the kids knew were not be to embarrassed at home in the Olympics. A bronze medal was a fairy tale that year. Herb Brooks was put to lead them. One of the nastiest and unfriendliest coaches ever but one of the greatest coaching moves in hockey or sports in my opinion.

I can't even imagine what those kids thought going into that game. You hear them as older men today, but man, I can only imagine rubber walking your skates on the way to the rink and then hitting and cutting the ice against that Russian team on the other side warming up. It must've been nerve-racking. Then to be IN THE GAME halfway through. To be that young and on an amateur level and have that moment of, "Holy shit, we can beat this team!"

As time goes by and the Olympics go by year after year, the Miracle on Ice will be forever etched in history as the impossible moment. The reason the Olympics were created in a way. As great and hardworking those kids were in that game busting their rear-ends for every puck and working to make every hit and shot count, Herb Brooks was a genius in the locker room and behind the bench with those kids.

I think one of the greatest things is many people think that was the game that won the gold and it wasn't. They had to beat Finland to win the Gold and Herb Brooks. After trailing 2-1 with a period to go, Herb Brooks told those young boys that they just beat Russia and......"If you lose this game, you'll take it to your fucking graves....your fucking graves!"

U.S. came back to win 4-2 and the gold medal. A team that was not even suppose to medal. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boys today...

[​IMG]

Herb Brooks....

"You can't be common, the common man goes nowhere. You have to be uncommon."
    "The legs feed the wolf"
    "The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back"
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity"
    "You were born to be a hockey player"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    octex, Dlist, GIRLY and 28 others like this.
  2. LaserT

Reputations:
    My absolute favorite movie scene of all time. It's myyyy faaaavorite. I can watch it over and over and over again knowing the scene was based on 100% truth except for the Eruzione yell at the end. He beat the shit out the kids that night. A nasty hard ass coach was Herb, but it's what it took to not have those kids embarrased.

In Real Life: The Eruzione business is fiction, but the rest happened. The sprints lasted about 45 minutes, just a few minutes longer than the seemingly endless scene in the movie. The lights were turned off. And Doc, according to Tim Wendel's account of the team, "Going for the Gold," did yell, "Herbie, Herbie, stop, stop, they've had enough!"

octex, John Mahlin, ooms321 and 5 others like this.
  3. LaserT

Reputations:
    What Herb Brooks must've felt there, taking down the Russian Red Machine with 18-21 yrs old college kids, in the freaking Olympics, in front of the world!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Goosebumps - still to this day...

Hamster, octex, monsoon and 6 others like this.
  5. Margos

Margos Sprinkles are for winners.

Reputations:
    We watched every second of those games during that Olympics. I can remember like it was yesterday. So exciting. Thanks for posting!

I love the America Guy episode they do on this event.:snicker:

monsoon, LaserT and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  6. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    But for a lot of people, Al Michaels is best known for this call:

"Peter, by the way just for the record, this is Al Michaels. That was a totally farcical call. Lest anybody think that that was somebody who was truly across the street. That was not. He said something in code at the end that’s indicative of the mentioning the name of a certain radio talk show host, so he was not there."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks I feel so old now.

monsoon and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  8. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ESPN's 30 for 30 this month is looking at things from the russian side of the coin. really good episode

9. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can't wait to watch this. Do they put these online? I don't have cable.

AmishGirl likes this.
  10. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1980 was Herb Brooks' masterpiece. Every gamble he made worked out in his favor practically. He could have taken the "best" college players at the time, as he was advised to. Instead, Brooks chose the "right" players for his team.

Also, his strategy of uniting his players, most of them were rivals in college, by making them hate him was brilliant.

He took the Soviets style and threw it right back in their face, and even out coached the legendary Victor Tikanen. Pulling Vladislav Tretiak, one of the best goaklies of all time, was Tikanen's "Waterloo" moment, and his team never recovered.

Drink it in, savor it, and be proud of the miracle Herbie and those college kids accomplished at Lake Placid in 1980 because we will NEVER see anything like it again!

octex, John Mahlin, LaserT and 2 others like this.
  11. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    try the watchespn app

12. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks like you still need a cable sub. I'm sure I'll find it "online" somewhere.

13. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Got me interested in what happenned to the soviets in the aftermath:
    Silver medal
    In the Soviet locker room, Tikhonov singled out first-line players Tretiak, Kharlamov, Petrov, and Mikhailov, and told each of them, "This is your loss!"[56]Two days after the Miracle on Ice, the Soviet team defeated Sweden 9–2, winning the silver medal. The Soviet players were so upset at their loss that they did not turn in their silver medals to get their names inscribed on them, as is custom.[57] The result stunned the Soviet Union and its news media.

After 1980 Winter Olympics
    Despite the loss, the USSR remained the pre-eminent power in Olympic hockey until its 1991 break-up. The Soviet team did not lose a World Championship game until 1985 and did not lose to the United States again until 1991.[58] Throughout the 1980s, NHL teams continued to draft Soviet players in hopes of enticing them to eventually play professionally in North America, but it was not until the 1988/89 seasonthat the NHL saw its first Soviet player, when veteran Sergei Pryakhin joined theCalgary Flames.[59]

NHL careers
    [​IMG]
    Former Soviet National team player, Helmuts Balderis pictured in 2014. Balderis played a season late in his career with the Minnesota North Starsof the NHL
    In the 1989/90 season, several 1980 Soviet Olympians joined the NHL, including Helmuts Balderis, Viacheslav Fetisov, Alexei Kasatonov, Vladimir Krutov, and Sergei Makarov. Fetisov was a teammate of Mike Ramsey on the1995 Detroit Red Wings team that lost the Stanley Cup Final. Fetisov completed his career by winning Cups with the Red Wings in 1997 and 1998; the first Cup win also made Fetisov a member of the Triple Gold Club, consisting of individuals who have won a Stanley Cup plus gold medals at the Olympics and World Championships.[60]Makarov won the Calder Memorial Trophy as NHL Rookie of the Year in 1989/90, becoming the oldest player to win that award.[61] That same season, younger Soviet stars Alexander Mogilnyand Sergei Fedorov defected to play for the Buffalo Sabres and Detroit Red Wings, respectively. With the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, a flood of ex-Soviet stars joined the NHL, includingIgor Larionov and Vladimir Konstantinov. Since then, many of the NHL's top players have come from the former Soviet republics.

14. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lol good 1

15. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good times...and back in the day when there wasn't 24 x 7 Olympic coverage. Hardly anyone knew about the win over Russia until later that evening.

Hamster, GoshGeeGolly and Beffquus like this.
  16. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :pray:

deadbeat, GoshGeeGolly and Birddog like this.
  17. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

I remember the Russian game wasn't even carried live on the West Coast, the local evening news was on and Jerry Dunphy interrupted himself to announce the U.S. beat the Soviet Team.

[​IMG]

B.T.W. Laser, were you even born yet?

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    was not aired live?

John Mahlin likes this.
  19. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:

Different world in a lot of ways. On the opposite end they used to announce the election results before all states closed. In 1984 every one knew Reagan won before the West Coast was even really out of work.

GoshGeeGolly and Nemo like this.
  20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Oh, I thought you meant Nancy. :wub:

(pay no attention to that trash in the background)

Dlist, GoshGeeGolly and smichal like this.