$350,000 auction to kill the endangered black rhino species

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, May 20, 2015.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Windhoek (AFP) - A US hunter who paid $350,000 to kill a black rhinoceros in Namibia successfully shot the animal on Monday, saying that his actions would help protect the critically-endangered species.

Corey Knowlton, from Texas, downed the rhino with a high-powered rifle after a three-day hunt through the bush with government officials on hand to ensure he killed the correct animal.

Knowlton, 36, won the right to shoot the rhino at an auction in Dallas in early 2014 -- attracting fierce criticism from many conservationists and even some death threats.

He took a CNN camera crew on the hunt to try to show why he believed the killing was justified.

"The whole world knows about this hunt and I think it's extremely important that people know it's going down the right way, in the most scientific way that it can possibly happen," Knowlton told the TV channel in footage released Wednesday.

"I think people have a problem just with the fact that I like to hunt... I want to see the black rhino as abundant as it can be. I believe in the survival of the species."

"I felt like from day one it was something benefiting the black rhino," Knowlton said just after the hunt ended, his voice croaking with emotion.

So basically an old Black Rhino charges after the young endangered species and it can kill calves, cows, etc. OK , I'll buy that. SO WHY NOT use the $350,000 to capture it and put it in a zoo where it can be taken care of?? No, you have to kill it to save the species. Give me a freaking break!!! All BS in my opinion.

He probably could've paid $100,000 or way less to capture it and give it a home in a zoo.

2. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It was necessary to destroy the village in order to save it ... :ucoffee:

SternsEgo and Shortwave98 like this.
  3. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    He's got a small dick so he has to reinforce his masculinity by shooting endangered species from a mile away to get attention.
    I wish the Rhino would have gotten him first,fucking fag!:shoveit:

4. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Disgusting

5. LaserT

Reputations:
    Seriously who shoots an animal to save the species for $350,000? Why wouldn't you capture it and retire it to a zoo for way less money?? I love the bullshit people spew so they can do things that are not right. I love how the guy gets "choked up". He pays $350,000 to kill an easily saved animal and he gets "choked up". :rolleyes:

6. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    Because the Namibian government, or whoever actually owned the animal held an AUCTION to raise money and they wanted to get as much money as possible for the animal. If they had an auction to a bunch of zoos or whatever to buy the animal to keep as a pet than it wouldn't have generated nearly as much revenue. This is apparantly an old bull that they needed to get out of the herd. I seriously doubt any zoo would want the thing. If anyone really cared that much they would have gone to the auction with as much money as they needed to out bid this guy and then they could have done whatever they wanted with it. The whole hate the hunter thing is just a bunch of knee jerk BS by people who have no desire to look at it from all angles. Do you really think a big old tough WILD mother fucker like that would rather go to a zoo and live the rest of his life with his leg tied to a chain than die a fast death caused by another animal higher up on the food chain? I don't ... and I wouldn't if I were him.

7. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Killing the animal to save the species is sort of like fucking for virginity.

8. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    Now that's a cause I would support. :grad:

9. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How much to shoot the guy that shot the endangered Rhino?

Scarlett Ohara and Gretsch Man like this.
  10. LaserT

Reputations:
    Skip I'm not saying I'm right or know everything about it. I'm not a hunter and I do love animals. I just hate the killing of animals or anybody. Children, dogs, cats, etc. I just feel bad. Hey if that is the only way that animal had out than I guess OK. I mean these animals roamed for years and years without us stepping in to kill them. Why are they endangered?? They are because of hunters. If no one stepped up to save it, I agree. Someone could have. Just hate the killing of things, so I get mad. That's all.

Bottom line is I'm not paying $350,000 to kill an animal. An absurd amount of money to kill a animal. That money could've been spent in better ways. Some zoos have experts in them and the animals are not chained and are put into a similar habitat. If a slow death by bullets is better than that, I'm shocked. :dontknow:

Poachers affect on the black rhino...

The guy's "choked up", but he didn't say why the black rhino's are endangered. It's not because of themselves or mother nature. It's because of hunters and them making money off their kills/body.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    FishySausage and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  11. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yeah, hunting for meat I can understand, but ....

12. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    "Robin, we are raising money to buy the Imus ranch and turn it into a sanctuary for old rhino's, Beth wants to call it Bianca's Horny Old Friends"

13. Gretsch Man

Reputations:
    I don't mind hunters at all. I'm a gun guy myself, but personally I don't want to kill anything. Killing a deer or bear probably isn't comparable to killing an endangered animal though.

14. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    I get that. I certainly don't condone the killing of anything for no reason. But please understand that well placed bullets cause extremely FAST deaths, not slow ones. And yes, it's crazy money. In nature the old and weak get picked off and eaten by predators. Now THAT's a slow and painful death. Nobody complains about that though. My main point is anytime hunting or guns are involved than all you see or hear is the knee jerk haters. There are other issues to consider. The absolute bottom line of this killing is that somebody ended up with $350,000 in their pocket to let this rich Texan shoot this rhino. Nobody is going to bring it up though.

Head Censor likes this.
  15. LaserT

Reputations:
    I'm not against hunters. I know it's an age old thing and people have grown up with it and if there's over population than hunters do their thing. I eat chicken and bacon, etc like we mostly all do. They kill those animals and we eat them. I'm not some PC douche haha. But c'mon, an endangered species? You pay $350,000 to kill it?? C'mon, there was no place that guy could've paid way less to take it to, to "save it"?

16. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Here's the thing, LT. To equate poachers with legitimate hunters is repugnant. All other things being equal, the goals, aims and ethics of the two couldn't be more diametrically opposed. Hunters spend their hard earned money to protect and conserve game species. Poachers care nothing about the animals they kill and exploit them for personal gain.

17. LaserT

Reputations:
    I get the money thing. But I never buy into bullshit. Why did the Black Rhino soar and survive before humans for thousands of years? There was old, angry, infertile rhinos way before we were around and they soared in numbers. They didn't have to "save" the species then. Now it's oh we have to kill them to save the species because they cause problems. No hunters killed them off. They did fine before hunters. That's all I'm saying. I get the money thing and hunters like to hunt but the "save the species" thing is TOTAL bullshit. That's my only point and opinion.

18. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    And I can almost guarantee you that the "somebody" in this case is the game management and conservation organization that will be putting that money directly toward further expanding a healthy herd of black rhinos.

SternsEgo and Skipnoid like this.
  19. LaserT

Reputations:
    I'm not a hunter or anything, so maybe I'm out of my league here so I'll shut it haha. You guys all rock and never want to piss anyone off, but I will still say this, the species did very well before humans with guns. Old and angry infertile rhinos never was a threat to the species. They always grew in numbers.

20. Gretsch Man

Reputations:
    I think we can all agree poachers are the real problem. Thanks to the black market bushmeat trade (apes, tigers, elephants, etc.), we're watching the extinction of entire species happen before our very eyes. I wouldn't compare this to people who hunt game for sport.

The government sanctioned the killing of the black rhino, so he's not breaking any laws. Given that the animal is endangered though, I think killing it and making a trophy out of its carcass is disgusting.