49er's Linebacker Retires At 24 - Concerned About Concussions

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    San Francisco 49ers Rookie Chris Borland Retires After Researching Concussions
    [​IMG]
    San Francisco 49ers star rookie Chris Borland is ending his promising football career due to concussion safety concerns, ESPN reports.

The announcement comes at a time when the National Football League has been heavily criticized over its policies when it comes to repetitive head trauma leading to brain damage.

Borland is the third player in his twenties to retire in the past week.

In an interview with Outside the Lines on Monday, the 24-year-old linebacker said his own research on concussions and discussions with friends, family and teammates led to his decision to retire early.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland said. "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland told Outside the Lines that ultimately, his health comes first:

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been, for me it's wanting to be proactive. I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

According to ESPN, "more than 70 former NFL players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological diseases following their deaths." The associated consequences of traumatic brain injuries can include memory loss, depression and brain damage.

In September 2014, the NFL finally disclosed that "nearly three in 10 former players will develop debilitating brain conditions," about twice the rate of the general population. The revelation was part of a larger lawsuit filed by players against the league.

Borland, who came to the league from the University of Wisconsin, said having two diagnosed concussions during his youth from soccer and football was enough to make him worried about his own future health. Ultimately, he decided, it was not worth the risk to end up like Mike Webster and Dave Deurson, NFL icons and athletes he admired who were diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy after their deaths.

Trent Baalke, the general manager of the 49ers, said in a statement that Borland's decision was "unexpected," but "respected."

“While unexpected, we certainly respect Chris’ decision... From speaking with Chris, it was evident that he had put a great deal of thought into this decision. He was a consummate professional from day one and a very well respected member of our team and community. Chris is a determined young man that overcame long odds in his journey to the NFL and we are confident he will use the same approach to become very successful in his future endeavors. We will always consider him a 49er and wish him all the best.”

This has been updated to include comments from the 49ers.

2. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  3. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    Niners lose both Borland and Willis. Ouch.

Still, looking at players like Mike Webster really makes you wonder if its all worth it.

Mulletude and lestanyonethink like this.
  4. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    he played football 10+ years for free, with the same or greater risk, but he dont wana play 1 more to earn millions?
    i dont get it.

anyways, ppl arent hitting him, hes hitting them.

yaddc likes this.
  5. CrucifiedAGT

Reputations:
    That didn't help Junior Seau. This is a really rough sport. I respect Borland. He made a few bucks, got a degree, and he can get a job anywhere based on his name alone. Gets to keep his health.

6. scoobyla

Reputations:
    yeah but he acts like he just found this out last week.
    i wonder if new technology helmets could curb this a great deal
    i just read his bio, he majored in history :(
    tho he has leadership and done lot of charity work so i think he will do well also

jameslanza and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  7. todd packer

todd packer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Niners never should have left candlestick.I swear they're cursed.

8. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I gotta commend the guy. If he thinks that he can make ANYWHERE near the amount of money he would in his first NFL contract alone then more power to him. I hate the players who are "men's men" who act like they are healthy when they know they are not. They play that way for 10+ years, bragging about how macho they are, then a few years after they retire, decide that they are going to sue the NFL.

9. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I assume you did not play football. I played high school and college ball, and this was years ago. Risk goes up as you move up as everyone gets bigger and faster. College ball was constant pain. You essentially barely recover in time to play again, with a 100% injury rate. Every guy I played with has issues later in life. You look at the size and speed of guys today, and NFL level caliber, and it is insane. Whether you are hitting or being hit, you are still taking the impact.

Average career length is around 3.3 years now. How far are you willing to compromise your health for a very short career. Having millions does you no good when you are mentally and physically incapacitated.

Dump Button and Shamrock12 like this.
  10. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am a niner fan- and this guy is a fucking chump.

He thinks he is going to be a great sports agent. If his plan was to move on from football- the guy should have played 4 years and got out after his first big deal. This guy is likely throwing away a 20+ million dollar career. I hope the niners go after him for his signing bonus money. What a waste of a draft pick.

KDK12 and jameslanza like this.
  11. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    shitty teams problems :giggle:

12. scoobyla

Reputations:
    no. i played high school ice hockey. i get what u are saying, its just odd he makes this decision now.
    with the awareness and changed rules it gotta be at least a little safer than before, tho still great risk.

13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Great example here of how statistics can be misinterpreted and used in the name of hyping a flavor of the month cause.

1. It says in the story the rate of debilitating brain problems is almost 3 in 10, which is " double that of the general population". This is using "relative percentage" instead of absolute. So long term NFL players have a 1-3 chance, instead of a 1-6 chance in the general population. Does a 1-6 chance sound "safe" to you either? But "double the risk" sounds much worse. This implies that of players who get debilitating brain problems later in life, HALF of them WOULD HAVE ANYWAY as members of the general population.

2. They don't mention that the majority of these problems come later in life, when everyone's health is starting to fall apart anyway. A certain small percentage of these players would have died or become incapacitated by other afflictions anyway.

3. The study does not appear to factor in NFL longevity. A player with a 15 year career is, I assume, 5 times more likely to suffer long term brain effects than a young guy who retires after 3 years. This puts his risk, statistically (I think) , at only about 20% higher than the general population, or going from 1-6 to 1-5. Not that shocking now, is it? One more big contract to earn some FU money for the rest of his life and he's at around 1-4, vs 1-6 for the general population.

4. Then factor in things like added stress from a real job, the less physically fit lifestyle of a normal working person (no working out 3 hours a day), a lower standard of health care from the system the rest of us have to use, and the brain issues may well be replaced with others.

4. I didn't see any mention of injury by position. Linebackers do take blows, but are they more in control of the collision than some others? I think so. RB's and receivers would seem to be more at risk.

5. Finally, and most importantly, it states a total of 70!!! players have suffered brain problems over its history. Not sure when they started tracking this, but the total number of players has to be in the tens of thousands. And statistically, of the 70, 35 would have suffered brain problems anyway!

So if 35 out of maybe 25,000 who have played suffer debilitating brain injury specifically traced to NFL play, I wouldn't be all that worried about it, relative to the normal risks of just living life. Relative to the rewards, it seems like a good trade off. At least for one good contract's worth of time.

alittlebitcunty likes this.
  14. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I played hockey as well, including against a lot of future NHLers you would know (though I was nothing special :). There is really no comparison in terms of impact, football is a *lot* more damaging (and I was a "hit man" in hockey, as I knew how to hit from football). Hockey players may be the best conditioned athletes as they need aerobic capability and strength.

I do think the NHL now has the same problem as they took out the red line rule to make the game faster, and everyone is very fast and big (with generally pretty shitty equipment in hockey). I think it is a real crime what has happened to Crosby, and really wonder what would have happened to Gretzky in today's game.

15. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Chris Borland has a chronic shoulder problem and a degree from a good university, plus football connections. He'll be fine.

16. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I remember a poll asking how much an athlete loves playing their respective sport being talked about on sports radio.

The NFL scored the lowest by a significant margin.

and Justin Smith.

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  17. CrucifiedAGT

Reputations:
    I am highly dubious of point 5. No way it's only 70.

18. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Don Cherry made a point about how the NHL equipment, shoulder & elbow pads are now this hard plastic as opposed to the thin padding stuff they used back in the day. It turns the safety equipment into weapons.
    I think that's the same problem with the NFL. The helmets are battering rams.

@3:06

Robert Higgins and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  19. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Neither did his own gun. :jj:

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  20. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    Hes a rookie. There are no millions for a few more years of getting thumped.