Entertainment 4th of July Related Thread

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by XXXXX, Jul 2, 2016.

1. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congree approved the Declaration of Independence. 240 years later, we celebrate this momentous occasion by drinking beer, eating hot dogs and setting off fireworks. But if that’s where your knowledge of Independence Day ends, you need to learn a few things.

History.com and Column Five teamed up for this infographic featuring all sorts of facts — both important historical information and fun but trivial nonsense — that pertains to the most important day in American history. So before cracking open a cold one and setting off some whistlin’ bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don’ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers — with or without the scooter stick, or a single whistlin’ kitty chaser, learn a little something about the celebrating the greatest nation in the world.

[​IMG]

Source: History.com

2. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Cunt like this.
  3. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  4. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    18 Interesting Vintage Pictures of Fourth of July Celebrations from the Past

America celebrates July 4 as Independence Day because it was on July 4, 1776, that members of the Second Continental Congress, meeting in Philadelphia, adopted the final draft of the Declaration of Independence.

Following its adoption, the Declaration was read to the public in various American cities. Whenever they heard it, patriots erupted in cheers and celebrations.

[​IMG]
    Bicycle riders in parade on the Fourth of July at Vale, Ore, circa 1941. (Library of Congress)

[​IMG]
    Revelers enjoy a rather subdued Fourth of July parade in New York, circa 1911. (Library of Congress)

[​IMG]
    A group of children plays with sparklers in 1940 after Fourth of July celebrations. (Keystone View/FPG/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Men wearing period costumes participate in a Fourth of July parade in 1911 in New York. (Library of Congress)

[​IMG]
    Three boys dressed as a patriotic band celebrate Independence Day on July 4th, in the 1940s. (Bert Garai/Keystone View/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

[​IMG]Fourth of July celebrations take place in 1939 near Chapel Hill, N.C. The men in the baseball suits are on a local team slated to play a game nearby. (Library of Congress)
    [​IMG]
    A Fourth of July parade is held in New York with little girls marching in festive white dresses. (Library of Congress)

[​IMG]
    Two revelers, sporting Native American headdresses and playing instruments, enjoy a Fourth of July parade in New York in 1911. (Library of Congress)

[​IMG]
    A very young American enjoys a snooze in his pram while attending American Independence Day celebrations in London with his serviceman father. (Terry Fincher/Keystone/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Spectators watch a baseball match intently on Stamford Bridge, July 4, 1918. (A. R. Coster/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Central Hall is decorated with the 'stars and stripes' during a meeting on July 4, 1918. One of the speakers pictured include Winston Churchill when he was Minister of Munitions. (A. R. Coster/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    American soldiers driving through the streets rest during Fourth of July celebrations on July 4, 1918. (Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Soldiers ride in carriages through the streets during Fourth of July celebrations. (Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    A group convenes at a meeting in Central Hall, London, which is decorated all around with American flags. (A. R. Coster/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Tall sailing ships sit on display at a pier for the American Bicentennial celebration on July 4, 1976. (Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Men and women in 18th century costumes wave from atop a Liberty Bell float during an American Bicentennial parade on July 4, 1976. (Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Parade at the July 4th celebration, Ashville, Ohio July 4th, 1938.

[​IMG]
    Throngs of people take part in a Fourth of July parade, early 1900s. (Library of Congress)

IfTheyOnlyKnew and RaeRae like this.
  6. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Where are the Jewish bankers being run out of the USA? Love that photo...

7. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters
    By Jean Shepherd

8. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    240yrs later, we got all the fuck money, all the bombs, all the innovation, we run the fucking world. Every other country exists because we let them. The Great United States of America could have gone into biddness for ourselves during WW2, double crossed the Limeys and owned Europe & Asia. Instead we allowed them the facade of sovereignty while we dotted Europe with military bases and passed on nuking Russia and China into submission, cause every babyface needs a heel to werk against. The United States is the most benevolent empire the world has seen. God bless those men who told the king of England to go fuck himself and God Bless America.

9. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Indeed.

How are you and your son doing? Take lots of deep breaths, and know that while you have family and friends that you can talk with, you're never really alone... Take care.

10. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    All for what?

11. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

12. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    When I asked my son if he wanted to go to his mom & grandmom's house for a couple days, he said Yes. I met my ex to drop him off this evening. She said he's been sniffling from time to time when talking or thinking about my mom.

Me, I'll probably do the same between now and Friday. That is going to be the rough one, the funeral. If they want me to do a eulogy, I'm definitely going to be tear streaked while doing it, same as when I did my one grandmother's. Sucks being the only one in the family w/ public speaking experience.

Enough about me though, this thread is about the greatest gaddam country on Earth.

[​IMG]

sour, IfTheyOnlyKnew and XXXXX like this.
  13. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  14. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Your son seems like he's handling this traumatic experience resonably well - you should be very proud of him.

Look at the opportunity of giving the eulogy as a gift, to you, and to your mom's family and friends. You have a means to inform / reinforce what was great and unique about your mom, to a loving and grateful audience - your son will remember your words for the rest of his life, and so will you. And, at no additional charge or effort, you get to make your ex cry!

15. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hope...

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption.

16. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Awesome thread, @XXXXX

Happy 4th of July!

17. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks Pal! I hope you and your family have a great 4th!

18. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Right back atcha, doll! :hug:

XXXXX likes this.
  19. sour

sour Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  20. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I will never lose hope in our Republic, in spite of, and maybe partly because of, the many significant and serious problems and challenges that our country, and us as American's, currently face and will continue to face in our future - i will not abandon her, nor our people. As The United States goes, so goes the world...