5 Signs of a Narcissist

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dlist, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    5 Signs of a Stealth Narcissist

Flashy clothing and sky-high confidence are the "public" face of narcissism. Here are a few additional cues, some contradictory, in keeping with the narcissist's paradoxical nature.

1. Bragging about one's perfect family (no one's family is perfect).
      "My relationship is perfect, we are so perfect together, everyone is jealous of our love"
    2. Hypergenerosity in public to demonstrate that one has power, but coldness once the camera is off.
      "I always give big tips, I gave the delivery guy $20"
    3. Hypersensitive and insecure. This includes imagining criticism where it doesn't exist and getting depressed by perceived criticism."Vulnerable" narcissists are self-centered and overly defensive.
      Where do I begin on this one?

4. Prone to a vast array of negative emotions including depression, anxiety, self-consciousness, and shame owing to not being given their "due." Such feelings can be an indication of egocentricity and self-absorption.
      "I made Sirius, it would be in the toilet if it wasn't for me!! I'm the greatest radio personality in the history of radio! Nobody appreciates me!"

5. Repeatedly puts down other people, especially inferiors and strangers. Loves to talk about him or herself and mentions others mainly to name-drop.
      "Robin my friend with a house in Lake Como asked me for a visit"
      "Gary, JD, Scott, Benjy, Ronnie..... you are fucking idiots"

http://www.psychologytoday.com/collections/201203/the-narcissist-next-door

2. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dont bother calling in with this.

He will just stammer and say... whu, whu, what did he say robin? Oh nevermind. Get off my phone!

click.

3. HORSETOOTHED

HORSETOOTHED Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Test 1: Unmask the narcissist. Have you ever observed him engage in five or more of the following behaviors?

- He cuts people off when they are trying to speak, interrupting them continuously in a disruptive and obnoxious manner.

- He pretends to be an expert on things he truly knows nothing about, and insists on being right at all costs even when more knowledgeable people disagree.

- He shows a lack of empathy towards problems of other people, such as a cold and insensitive response to an illness or an accident that you or somebody else close to him suffered.

- He has an extremely low tolerance for criticism.

- He is always seeking approval and admiration, if not adulation, from other people.

- He demands to be loved and admired by everybody but is rarely capable of reciprocating.

- He is distrustful of the motivations of others, suspecting people of envying him and scheming against him.

- He shows a clear disproportion between the importance he attributes to things that happen to him and to the same things when they happen to others.

- He behaves as if other people were identical and interchangeable: behaviors such as telling the same things over and over again in exactly the same way on all occasions, without any care for the specific sensitivities of different audiences.

- He exhibits a tendency to praise and cherish people for a period of time, as long as they serve the purpose of feeding his narcissistic needs and then abruptly dismissing them when they reveal themselves as real people with rights and needs.

- He thinks that special rules apply to him, or that he is above the rules that apply to all others.

- He is unable to sense the pain he inflicts on others.

- He is self-obsessed, continuously thinking and talking about himself.

- He exhibits a tendency to perfectionism and an exaggerated fear of committing mistakes.

- He is workaholic.

- He surrounds himself preferentially with people who please his ego without ever posing a challenge, such as people he can safely perceive as intellectually his inferiors.

- He rejects, if not overtly attacks, people who pose an intellectual challenge or dare to explicitly disagree with any of his statements and pronouncements.

- He uses acts of generosity towards other people to generate in them a sense of dependence and indebtedness, which is then used as an instrument for manipulation and control.

- He wants at all costs to be always "the first of the class".

- He is unable to offer a sincere apology.

If you checked five or more items from this list, then you are dealing with a narcissist and your mental well being may be in serious danger. If you checked close to all of them, then you are dealing with a severe case of "overt maladaptive narcissism" and your life may be in danger too. Seek help!

4. vaginapoosie

vaginapoosie black magic woman VIP

Reputations:
    my mother grew up with a paranoid schizo narcissistic mother, and she in turn is a narcissist because of it. all those bold points is what i had to live with every fucking day of my life. thanks to her, i was doomed from the get-go. growing up as a daughter to a narcissist is the worst fucking thing you can imagine. it screws you up for life.

5. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    I think a shit ton of people would qualify for 5 of these and also many of these traits are reinforced by society in a quasi positive way.

If you are a 34 you need to have them all to the max.

6. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1. Wears a wig
    2. Bores people
    3. Very unfunny
    4. Marries a horse
    5. Denies having a bowling alley in his home.

7. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    bald jew, married a horse

8. Dlist

Reputations:
    The link to the article I posted is 4 pages long. It seems like it was written specifically about Howard.

Narcissists' language and demeanor is often geared toward one objective: to maintain power in an interaction. The narcissists' toolbox include bragging, refocusing the topic of conversation, making exaggerated hand movements, talking loudly, and showing disinterest by "glazing over" when others speak.

Because control is so important to narcissists, they can abruptly lose their charm if destabilized or threatened. This two-faced behavior is often the first clue to their true character. They get angry when rejected, overreacting to small slights and punishing those who do not support their grandiose image of themselves. Narcissists get away with these unsavory antics because, at least initially, they are so charming.

The narcissist who receives indiscriminate praise from his parents as well as signals of coldness and rejection may come to distrust the praise and exist in a perpetual state of insecurity.

Narcissists may also have unique coping mechanisms that allow them to reframe negative reactions. Narcissists may conclude that others are just jealous ("haters!"), or just not smart enough to realize how "bitchin'" they really are.

Narcissists are interested in "tens" [gorgeous women] in part because they believe such women may be most susceptible to their manipulative tactics.

I know lots of words...but I was fascinated by the article as it pertains to Howard. He needs to get his money back from that flim flam shrink.

9. Dlist

Reputations:
    Robin was right, Howard so cheated on that Narcissist test.

10. Booey Logic

Booey Logic Member

Reputations:
    Damn - signs 3, 4, and 5 describe the typical poster here perfectly...

11. hollywoodrose

hollywoodrose Member VIP

Reputations:

My old man was NPD too - it really is a total nightmare growing up and having to deal with someone like that. It's like having a psychotic child that you have to raise beginning at a time you're a kid yourself, and on top of it they have all the psychological and physical means/weaponary of an adult at their disposal. It's disturbing - I grew up with the guy and my mother was depressed, just stayed in bed all day and was afraid of him (she had a similar father), and because of him I had no idea what to believe - I knew things were wrong and I was very independent and could see what was going on, but you just can't be sure unless you have an independent outsider to confirm it. But that's what you get when you get a family full of drunks generations long - the gift that keeps on giving. :shots: :facepalm:

12. Dlist

Reputations:
    So has Beth figured out that she is married to a narcissist, and it isn't normal to live with someone so defective? Or does she just get another purse and forget about it. Narcissist seem so VERY needy. That has got to be tiring.

13. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    i'm convinced the narcisisst test on the air was howard deliberately scoring as low as he possibly could, and robin scoring as high as she possibly could. the test seemed very easy to manipulate in such a way, and robin was so tired of hearing about being a 34

a real 34 would want to be a 40

14. Dlist

Reputations:
    And vaginapossie I hope you have realized it was your mother's personality disorder, has nothing to do with you. I realized that after many years with an alcoholic, disapproving father that it isn't me, he had the issue. Thank you therapy.

15. Dlist

Reputations:
    You want your parents approval, but when they are so defective themselves, you aren't going to get it. When you realize that you are free.
    That being said, being married to a narcissistic has got to be a nightmare. No huge house, no red carpet, no $10K purse can be worth that.

16. Dlist

Reputations:
    Ok enough serious, lets go back to funny
    [​IMG]

17. flatcat

flatcat New Member

Reputations:
    Are you a narcissist now? Just curious. Must have been rough growing up.

18. Dlist

Reputations:
    Who here had a normal childhood? Poll?

19. flatcat

flatcat New Member

Reputations:
    Mine was ok.

20. Dlist

Reputations:
    Consider yourself lucky my friend.