5 Things You Didn't Know About Circumcision

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Robin would put this in her news if she was here today.

A new policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics(AAP) is likely to throw fuel on the fiery controversy surrounding male infant circumcision.
    The AAP's statement touts the medical benefits of circumcisionwhile stopping short of recommending the procedure, which opponents decry as painful and unnecessary. For instance, new research has found that circumcision lowers the risk of acquiringsexually transmitted infections, including HIV, genital herpes, human papillomavirus and syphilis.
    Circumcision seems to be on the decline in the United States (a 2005 Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality study put the rate at about 56 percent), but the practice has long religious and cultural roots. Here are five circumcision facts that may come as a surprise.

1. It was once touted as a cure for paralysis

In the late 1800s, doctors turned to circumcision to "cure" an array of ailments, from childhood fevers to brass poisoning toparalysis. This era was a boom time for genital surgery — women were losing their ovaries to the knife in the name of curinghysteria — but it was an 1870 case that shone the spotlight on circumcision.
    Writing in the journal Transactions of the American Medical Association, [COLOR=rgb(21.176470%, 38.823530%, 53.333330%)]Lewis Sayre, [/COLOR]a professor of orthopedic surgery at
    Bellevue Hospital Medical College, told the tale of being called to the bedside of a 5-year-old boy whose knees were flexed andparalyzed, preventing him from walking.
    During his examination, Sayre discovered that the boy's foreskin had contracted, causing the child great pain. Speculatingthat the foreskin problem could be the source of the boy's "physical prostration and nervous exhaustion," Sayre conducted acircumcision the next day. In less than two weeks, Sayre reported, the boy was walking again.
    Whatever the cause of the boy's paralysis and [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]miraculous cure, [/COLOR]the foreskin can occasionally become trapped over the head ofthe penis, a condition called phimosis. Modern cures include circumcision, manual stretching of the foreskin, orpreputioplasty, an operation to widen the foreskin. [Macho [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]Man: 10 Wild Facts About His Body][/COLOR]
    2. The foreskin is more complex than you might think
    The foreskin isn't just skin. Think of it as more like an eyelid for male genitals. On the inside, the foreskin is made up ofmucous membrane, analogous to the inside of the eyelid or the inside of the mouth. It's this moist environment that seems tobe responsible for the foreskin's association with sexually transmitted infections. The foreskin also contains a large numberof Langerhans cells, a type of immune cell targeted by [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]HIV infection.[/COLOR]
    Women have a foreskin equivalent, too: the clitoral hood, which protects the clitoris much as the foreskin covers the glans.The foreskin and the clitoral hood, known in gender-neutral terms as the prepuce, evolve from the same tissue in the womb.[10 [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]Odd Facts About the Female Body][/COLOR]

[​IMG]3. The first-recorded circumcision happened in Egypt As far as we know from the historical record, the land of the pharaohs pioneered circumcision. The earliest reference to theprocedure dates back to around 2400 B.C. A bas-relief in the ancient burial ground of [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]Saqqara [/COLOR]depicts a series of medicalscenes, including a flint-knife circumcision and a surgeon explaining, "The ointment is to make it acceptable," likely referringto some form of topical anaseptic.
    [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]Ancient Egyptian [/COLOR]circumcisions were not done in infancy, but instead marked the transition from boyhood to adulthood. TheGreeks saw their Mediterranean neighbors' tradition as rather bizarre. In the fifth century, Herodotus made his opinionknown in his work "The History of Herodotus."
    "They practice circumcision for the sake of cleanliness," he wrote of the Egyptians, "considering it better to be cleanly thancomely."
    4. It may have caught on as a status symbol
    An increase in hospital births and a perception of circumcision as promoting cleanliness certainly contributed to the rise ofthe procedure in the United States. But the procedure may have been a status symbol as well.
    Writing in the University of Cincinnati Law Review in 2003, Seton Hall University law professor Sarah Waldeck points outthat Sayre and his circumcision-promoting colleagues came onto the scene just as hospital births were becoming morecommon. The wealthy were more likely to go to the hospital and have a physician-attended birth; thus, circumcision becamea marker of class. The need to circumcise essentially became a social norm, Waldeck writes. It was what "good" parentschose. As more and more parents made the choice, it became odder and odder not to, which then put more pressure onparents to [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]choose circumcision [/COLOR]so their child would be "normal."
    5. Circumcisions leave unique marks
    Most circumcisions in the United States are done with one of three devices: the Mogen Clamp, the Plastibell and the Gomcoclamp. The Mogen clamp is a scissorlike device consisting of two flat blades used that are clamped over the foreskin, cuttingoff blood flow. A scalpel is then used to slice away the tip of the foreskin.
    The Plastibell is a plastic device that is placed over the head of the penis, under the foreskin. The doctor or nurse then ties astring around the foreskin, cutting off circulation. The string may be used as a guide for the surgical removal of the foreskin,or the Plastibell may be left on for a week or so, after which the dead foreskin will fall off on its own.

The Gomco clamp is also inserted between the head of the [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 34.117650%, 56.470590%)]penis and the foreskin. [/COLOR]Again, the surgeon clamps the device overthe foreskin, cutting off circulation. After about five minutes, the blood around the clamp will begin to clot, and the surgeonuses a scalpel to cut away the foreskin. This method sometimes leaves a distinctive light brown scar on the head of the penis. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Im cut. how bout you?

3. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    know why it was a cure for paralysis? because if you went to a guy who was catatonic and told him you were going to snip off a piece of his dick, suddenly he started moving. usually his legs started running in the opposite direction, catatonic or not.

4. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    It's Mutilation . . .

5. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    Perhaps the reason STD's are found in smaller numbers among the uncircumcised is because women won't touch them.:c

I keed!

6. PappYawn

PappYawn Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I didn't do it to my son. It seemed barbaric, I was so blessed to have a healthy perfect little baby. I felt like I would have been mocking the gods.
    I don't think it should be illegal 'tho. I get the strong religious tradition, and for the record I dont like it when people pierce infants ears too.

7. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    When my first son was born, I was actually in there when they clipped a baby. They strap them down to this little baby shaped board, put this little clear plastic bell thing under their foreskin to protect the glans, and it gives them a surface to cut against. THEN. (and this is the first scream you'll hear)
    They take a little string and they wrap it around right below where they're gonna cut and yank it tight. Then they just slice it off.
    Come to think of it, there's only one long scream that lasts between the string and the cutting. I don't think they feel the cutting after the string thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    AIDS is rampant in the male population of Africa because of the lack of circumsicion....if you wanna keep it more power to ya'. I don't and don't want it

9. usedtampon

usedtampon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There'd be even less AIDS if it was cut off completely. Now that countries are starting to think of banning circumcision, look for lots of propaganda from the media, which of course ISN'T controlled by Jews.

10. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:

at that age they only have one way of communicating with anything outside of themselves: they make noises. screaming is all they got.

11. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    When I was in nursing school I saw a lot of babies circumcised and it was horrible. These kids screamed for a long time, just like heroin addicted babies screamed. My first son is circumcised because I didn't have the courage to speak up to the Pediatrician, but my second son is not.

12. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never thought about slicing my sons, they're born and the first thing u do is give them eexcruciating pain??!?!

13. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Ask Yourself One Question: If we were mean't to have the foreskin removed. It wouldn't be there in the first place . . .

14. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i'm glad i have a daughter and didn't have to make that decision when she was born....i'm jewish so all hell would have broken loose if i didn't. my husband doesn't think anything is wrong with circumcision (and certainly doesn't remember the process).
    it isn't done anywhere else on earth (except for muslims and jews).

15. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    eww. just eww

16. Jack Shit

Jack Shit Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    I want mine back. :bigcry:

17. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    no, AIDS is rampant because of unbridled promiscuity and poor cleanliness.

18. Bearcat1

Bearcat1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Where is the 3 cm one for the black babies?

19. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;vD94dVu8lqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ[/video]

20. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    Do women really want anything to do with an uncircumcised penis?