7 Botched Executions...feelgood story of the year

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Feb 1, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When death row executions go wrong: The shocking details of SEVEN capital punishment horror stories
    As Arizona death row inmate, murderer Joseph Wood takes TWO HOURS to die after being given a lethal injection, we look at seven other botched executions

Reuters [​IMG]
    Executed: Joseph Wood
    For those sentenced to death, the only consolation is that their execution will be quick and painless.

Or at least it's supposed to be.

In reality, some unfortunate inmates are subjected to a lengthy, excruciating and tormenting ordeal.

On Wednesday, convicted murderer Joseph Wood, 55, writhed in agony for two hours after being administered a lethal injection in Arizona.

His lawyers were so concerned about his gasping and snorting on the gurney that they requested an emergency stay of execution before he finally passed.

But it isn't the first instance of a death row execution being badly botched.

Ever since America reinstated capital punishment in 1997, death row executions have been marred by difficulties.

Famously played out in the Tom Hanks film, The Green Mile, the electric chair led to the most gruesome of deaths for condemned inmates.

Here, we look at some of the most controversial.

Frank J. Coppola, August 10, 1982, Virginia

[​IMG]
    Fried: Frank J Coppola
    It took two 55-second jolts of electricity to kill the cop turned murder. The second jolt produced the odour and sizzling sound of burning flesh, and murderer Coppola's head and leg caught on fire. Smoke filled the death chamber from floor to ceiling.

William E. Vandiver, October 16, 1985, Indiana

[​IMG]
    Still breathing: William E Vandiver
    After the first administration of 2,300 volts, murderer William E. Vandiver was still breathing. The execution eventually took 17 minutes and five jolts of electricity. The Department of Corrections admitted the execution "did not go according to plan."

Raymond Landry, December 13, 1988, Texas

[​IMG]
    Sprayed: Raymond Landry
    Murderer Raymond Landry was declared dead 40 minutes after being strapped to the execution gurney and 24 minutes after the drugs first started flowing into his arms. Two minutes after the drugs were administered, the syringe came out of Landry's vein, spraying the deadly chemicals across the room toward witnesses.

Donald Eugene Harding, April 6, 1992, Arizona

www.azcorrections.gov [​IMG]
    Thrashed: Donald Eugene Harding

Double murderer Donald Eugene Harding’s death was not pronounced until almost 11 minutes after the cyanide tablets were added to a gas chamber. During the execution, Harding thrashed and struggled violently against the restraining straps. His death prompted the use of lethal injections in some states.

Pedro Medina, March 25, 1997, Florida

[​IMG]
    Flames: Pedro Medina
    Killer Pedro Medina execution saw a crown of flames shoot a foot above his head during his electrocution. Witnesses said the stench was unbearable leaving two dozen witnesses gagging. Like the execution in the Green Mile is was concluded the improper application of a sponge was to blame.

Angel Diaz, December 13, 2006, Florida

[​IMG]
    Squinting: Angel Diaz
    After the first injection was administered to Angel Diaz he continued to move, and was squinting and grimacing as he tried to mouth words. A second dose was then administered, and 34 minutes passed before the murderer and kidnapper was declared dead. The Medical Examiner ruled the problem had been the needle had gone through his vein and out the other side, so the deadly chemicals were injected into soft tissue.

Clayton Lockett, April 29, 2014, Oklahoma

Reuters [​IMG]
    Drug cocktail: Clayton Lockett
    Convicted murderer and rapist Clayton Lockett convulsed, clenched his teeth and struggled to talk during the 43 minutes it took him to die as the state tried out a new three-drug lethal cocktail.

00steven likes this.
  2. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Waaaah, they deserved worse.

3. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As much as I feel for every single one of the victims of these murderers, I no longer think that taking a life as punishment should have any place in a civilized society. This is obviously a very polarizing issue. You're either strongly for it or against it. Reducing ourselves to legally sanctioned executions, I don't believe is a deterrent. Neither am I advocating "rehabilitation." Just make sure that those who prove to be a menace to society and therefore relinquished their rights to being a part of it are never given the opportunity to do harm again.
    Life in solitary confinement with NO chance of any parole. That is more than enough justice for me.

jimerer likes this.
  4. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    Fine by me, but how can they fuck this up?
    The last 3 dogs I've put down died withing 30 seconds.
    These assholes that keep meddling in the drug mix are over thinking this.
    Stop fucking around and stick with Pentobarbitone. Works every time.

kingship likes this.
  5. Smartguy

Smartguy This Space Is For Rent VIP

Reputations:
    Maybe we should have a veterinarian administer the sentence. Both of my dogs passed peacefully in seconds with no issues. Why is it suck an ordeal to accomplish the same in prison?

JessOnCrack, N Copter and PelicanWig like this.
  6. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Just stick them in a cell and stop giving them food & water.

kingship likes this.
  7. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck this guy:

Summary:

Wood and his 29-year-old ex-girlfriend, Debbie Dietz, had been involved in a turbulent relationship for 5 years, which had been marred by numerous breakups and several domestic violent incidents.

Dietz tried to end their relationship and got an order of protection against Wood. Debbie was working at a local body shop owned by her family.

On August 7, 1989, Wood walked into the shop. waited for her father, Gene Deitz, to hang up the phone, then shot him in the chest with a .38 caliber revolver, killing him. Wood approached Debbie, placed her in some type of hold, and shot her once in the abdomen and once in the chest, killing her.

Wood then fled the building. Two police officers approached Wood and ordered him to drop his weapon. After Wood placed the weapon on the ground, he reached down and picked it up, and pointed it at the officers. The officers fired, striking him several times. Wood survived his wounds after extensive surgery.

Samurai and boognishstern like this.
  8. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Only a true asshole would care what happens to this low life piece of shit.

Summary:

At around 10:30 p.m. Bobby Bornt was asleep on the couch at his house in Perry, Oklahoma, when his front door was kicked in. Clayton Lockett, Shawn Mathis and Alfonzo Lockett entered his house and immediately started beating and kicking him. Lockett was carrying a shotgun which he used to hit Bornt.

After the beating, duct tape was used to secure his hands behind his back and they gagged him and left him on the couch while they ransacked the house looking for drugs. As Bornt lay restrained, his friend, Summer Hair, approached the open door. She was pulled inside, hit in the face and thrown against a wall. One of the men put a gun to her head and ordered her to call to her friend, Stephanie Neiman, who was outside sitting in her pickup. When Neiman came inside, they hit her several times to get the keys to her pickup. They were bound with duct tape and put in the bedroom where Bornt's nine-month old son, Sam, had been sleeping. Hair was forcibly raped and sodomized by all three men. They were then loaded into the pickup trucks of Bornt and Nieman and driven to a remote rural location. Hair was again raped in a ditch by Clayton Lockett and Mathis, who told her “In order for you to live, this is what you have got to do.”

Clayton Lockett instructed Mathis to dig a grave and said :"Someone has got to go.” Neiman was taken to the hole dug by Mathis. When she refused to promise that she would not go to the police, Clayton Lockett shot her. The gun jammed, but he fixed it, returned and shot her again. While Mathis buried Neiman, Bornt and Hair were warned that if they told anyone they would be killed too. They then drove both pickups and dropped off Bornt, his son and Hair at Bornt's house and they left in Bornt's pickup. The following day, Bornt and Hair told the Perry police what had happened. Neiman's pickup and her body were recovered and all three men were subsequently arrested. Clayton Lockett ultimately confessed to police.

Samurai and boognishstern like this.
  9. boognishstern

Reputations:
    a wife or daughter is raped & murdered = justifiable homicide for father/husband IMO

kingship likes this.
  10. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    Im all for killing them ASAP and painlessly, but...

HAHAHA

These are killers, and their death are condoned by society, while their killings were not. I have as much sympathy for them as I do the mosquito I kill after it bites me.

11. boognishstern

Reputations:
    whatever happened to firing squads...and right after conviction as well.

kingship, dawg and Dick Nose like this.
  12. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    There was a radio serial back in the early fifties called "Tales of the Texas Rangers" Kind of a "Dragnet" With cases taken from records.....I listened to them on podcast....All of the cases are from the 20's to late 40's....And when they give the follow up on what the outcome was and punishment given.....
    I was shocked......Some of them were 90 days from sentencing to execution for the death penalty cases.......90 days!!!
    That is Justice swift and sure!!!!

boognishstern likes this.
  13. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    A bullet to the head would solve all these problems.

14. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Surely there's some way we can make it happen more often ... "accidentally", of course.

boognishstern likes this.
  15. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    kingship likes this.
  16. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    :jj:

kingship likes this.
  17. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It should be mandatory that every execution should be slow and painful. Also, the punishment should fit the crime, meaning if you stab, shoot, mutilate, torture, burn, bury or strangle your victim -- you go down the same way.

18. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller floating around

Reputations:
  19. hypo666

hypo666 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Before the British got rid of the death penalty in the sixties, the British hangmen had perfected it so well,the balance has to be got just right so you either don't slowly strangle or you pull the head off,albert pierrepoint Britains most famous hangman got much practice when he was asked by the Americans through general monty to excecute hundreds of nazi war criminals . , , when time came the condemned were quick marched straight into the chamber and it was all over in a matter of seconds,

I think the image of a scaffold and a noose has a greater impact than a firing squad. If I had a choice I would take the firing squad, rather than have a sack thrown over my head a rope placed around my neck and have my neck broke, no matter how painless it was supposed to be and how expert the hangman was.

I think you americans over complicate matters, with decades in some cases on death rows and trying to make it some kind of show with journolists and other witness's present , so use supposedly more PR friendly ways, medicalising the process ,in my opinion, the only people present should be prison guards, a doctor, a priest, and the boss of the prison. Hanging or a firinq squad, one appeal allowed that has to be done fastrack over a few years after sentence is passed, Still,I can't criticise much, as the British justice system, we don't punish people anywhere near like you do these days, we used to though, we used to flog people up until the sixties as well ,judicial corporal punishment it was called ,and it left lifelong scars on the buttocks . I much admire your ninety year prison terms, compared to our 30 years at most for murders and 20 years for the most serious rapes. Think that is pathetic, in europe the are even more liberal than we are.

kingship likes this.
  20. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    An oldie but a goodie

Thomas Edward Ketchum
    was a cowboy from San Saba County, Texas who became one of the notorious American outlaws. Tom Ketchum was the last man in America to be executed for attempting to rob a train as after his execution, the Supreme Court ruled that in order to warrant an execution, there would have to be actual victims. What makes the Tom Ketchum’s execution different from other Wild West hangings is the fact that the executioner used rope that was too long for the weight of Black Jack resulting in decapitation of the convict.

People who attended his execution said that Tom Ketchum ran up the gallows stairs and uttered his famous last words:

I’ll be in hell before you start breakfast, boys. Let her rip!

Good-bye. Please dig my grave very deep. All right; hurry up!

Miscalculation of the inexperienced executioner who used the rope too long for the weight of Tom Ketchum made for an extra gory spectacle after the trap door opened. The drop was too long, the kinetic energy too large resulting in an instant decapitation of Black Jack’s head. As his body dropped to the ground, the spectators were treated to a sight of blood spurting uncontrollably out of the headless neck. Some reports say the executioner allowed for a 7 foot drop, which was definitely too much for a man of 190 pounds.

After hanging turned decapitation execution was done, Tom Ketchum’s head was sewn back onto the body for the funeral.

kingship likes this.