Politics 9/11 Families Furious As Obama Tries To Block Passage Of Bill Holding Saudi Arabia Responsible

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Apr 16, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    20111026__speech~p1.jpg

Officials in Saudi Arabia have reportedly told the Obama administration they will sell off hundreds of billions of dollars of American assets if Congress passes a bill that would allow the Saudi government to be held responsible for any role in the September 11 attacks.

On the eve of President Barack Obama’s visit to Saudi Arabia, the New York Times said the White House had been lobbying Congress to block the bill’s passage and that the threat from Saudi Arabia had been the subject of intense talks.

It said that Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi foreign minister, delivered the kingdom’s message last month during a trip to Washington, telling legislators that Saudi Arabia would be forced to sell up to $750bn in treasury securities and other assets in the United States before they could be in danger of being frozen by American courts.

saudi2.jpg

Fifteen of the nineteen men who hijacked four planes and flew them into targets in New York and Washington in 2001 were Saudi citizens, though Riyadh has always denied having any role in the attacks.

A US commission established in the aftermath of the attacks also concluded there was no evidence of official Saudi connivance. However, the White House has been under pressure to declassify a 28-page section of the report that was never published on the grounds of national security.

New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, who has read the report, and Senator Bob Graham, who co-chaired the joint congressional inquiry, have said the victims’ families deserved to read the report before Mr Obama visits the Middle East next week.

The families have been trying to use the courts to hold responsible members of the Saudi royal family, Saudi banks and charities. Yet these efforts have been largely blocked because of a 1976 law that gives foreign nations some immunity from lawsuits in American courts.

The newspaper said the Senate bill was intended to make clear that the immunity given to foreign nations under the law should not apply in cases where nations are found culpable for terror attacks that kill Americans on United States soil.

If the bill were to pass both houses of Congress and be signed by the president, it could clear a path for the role of the Saudi government to be examined in the September 11 lawsuits.

President Obama will arrive in Riyadh on Wednesday for meetings with King Salman and other Saudi officials and attend a summit with other leaders of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) on Thursday. It is unclear whether the dispute over the September 11 legislation will be on the agenda for the talks.

Earlier this week, US officials briefing reporters on the president's visit, said Saudi Arabia was a key regional ally despite the relationship coming under pressure in recent years as the US has sought to reset its interaction with Iran

“As you’ll hear more coming out of the summit, there’s been agreements reached to increase our cooperation on counterterrorism, streamlining the transfer of critical defense capabilities to our GCC partners, bolstering GCC ballistic defense…systems, and defending against the cyber threat,” said Rob Malley, a senior adviser to Mr Obama on the Middle East.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ets-if-congress-passes-911-bill-a6987281.html

1Vegasgirl, Tim and Father O'Blivion like this.
  2. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Remember after 9/11 when they had the balls to buy TV ads with the tagline : "Saudi Arabia: Partners In Peace"?

Fuck those guys.

TheLACritic and Father O'Blivion like this.
  3. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Amen

4. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck Em ! Fuck Em all to hell...:shucks:

5. dawg

Reputations:
    Thread title updated, Obama is now trying to block this bill, for fucks sake :facepalm:

I guess we cant expect anything from our elected officials,

6. honda450

honda450 Active Member

Reputations:
    How can you trust someone who has a table cloth on the head. Trump for President!

7. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  8. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Trump is gonna run with this while Hillary Cunton has a coughing fit and Bernie pees his pants.

9. Father O'Blivion

Reputations:
    I expect so little from them, too. When it looks like they're finally doing something right... I should have smelled a rat.

1Vegasgirl and Joe Bauers like this.
  10. dawg

Reputations:
    No mater who is elected they will kiss Saudi ass.

11. Father O'Blivion

Reputations:
    They'll kiss it and ask for more.

John Mahlin, RonHeinzkaboot and dawg like this.
  12. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Certainly not this president or administration.

CrucifiedAGT and TheLACritic like this.
  13. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Saudi Arabia equal enemy.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Notfunorfunny likes this.
  14. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    JessOnCrack and dawg like this.
  15. Lance Murdock

Lance Murdock Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I get the economic implications but on this one I'm happy to stand on principal. Make em pay, let them retaliate economically.

16. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    For being the "most powerful nation on the planet" it sure seems that we're the ones bent over the barrel whenever these sewer countries want something.

17. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    could you then sue the US gov't for supporting regimes that support terror if you lose someone to a terror attack?

18. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    The terrorists were probably not funded directly by government officials, but rather by the "royal" families who are the de facto government.

19. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I thought Hilary was fighting for us

notice her silence. The worst candidate on foreign policy by far

lastlaugh and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  20. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I noticed creepy Paul Ryan started his "I forbid my name be written in" speech with "I just came back from a two week long trip to the Middle East"
    "our allies are very concerned with our presidential race"

the GOP is bought and sold by the Saudis
    they don't want Trump
    and Ms I'm fighting for women Hilary is bought and sold by Qatar and doesn't care how they treat women or enslave foreigners from poor countries

This is really what is being exposed by the primary process, we are a subsidiary of a multi nation corporation run by Saudi's and other rich mullahs

they use the Republicans to show their American Muslim missionaries that America hates Muslims but push come to shove no gop candidate except Trump will actually call them out.
    Charter school initiative is for madrases and the religous freedom push is for Sharia law.
    GOP is playing you
    where did Paul Ryan go to church in Saudi?
    Saudi's won't take one Syrian refugee but want to build 200 mosques in Germany for refugees
    pitiful