90 Year Old WWII Vet Charged For Feeding The Homeless

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Nov 4, 2014.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Florida, of course:

90-year-old among first charged under Fort Lauderdale's strict rules against feeding homeless
    [​IMG]
    Arnold Abbott plans to defy Fort Lauderdale's ordinance against feeding the homeless again on Wednesday. (Courtesy: Sun-Sentinel)

Fort Lauderdale police say Arnold Abbott violated a new city law, but the 90-year-old homeless advocate says his only crime was to “love thy neighbor.”

Abbott was charged Sunday along with two local pastors with violating the city’s new ordinance that effectively bans giving out food in public. He faces 60 days in jail and a $500 fine, and he intends to get cited again Wednesday night, when he sets out to feed some of the Florida city’s estimated 10,000 homeless on a public beach.

“The homeless people come here for the weather. They know they won’t freeze to death in Fort Lauderdale.”
    - Arnold Abbott, homeless advocate

“I know that I will be arrested again, and I am prepared for that,” Abbott said by phone from his office at Love Thy Neighbor, Inc., a nonprofit he established in honor of his wife, Maureen, after her death in a car accident 23 years ago. “I am my brother’s keeper, and what they are doing is just heartless.”

Fort Lauderdale passed an ordinance late last month that included a slate of new regulations on where and how groups can provide food to homeless people. The vote made the city the 13th in the nation since 2012 to pass restrictions on where people can feed the homeless, according to a report by the National Coalition for the Homeless.

The regulations enacted in Fort Lauderdale state that no two indoor feeding sites can be within 500 feet of one another or on the same block; outdoor feeding programs require a permit or permission of the property owner and must provide portable toilets; and outdoor stations cannot be within 500 feet of residential properties.

Abbott, whose charity has battled city officials for years in court and on the streets of the southern Florida city, said the toilet requirement was too much for his group.

“I have tried to abide by their regulations, but we just are not able to provide a port-a-potty,” he said. “I believe that is the job of the municipality, anyway.”

Cited along with Abbott were Dwayne Black, pastor of The Sanctuary Church in Fort Lauderdale, and Mark Sims of St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church in Coral Springs, according to the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel. Although the three were not handcuffed or taken to jail, they were cited and must appear in court or face a bench warrant.

Fort Lauderdale officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Supporters of the strict laws say that allowing programs like Abbott’s encourages homelessness. Cal Deal, a 65-year-old former journalist who videotapes homeless people in the city and says they commit crimes, cause sanitation problems and need more help than simply food.

"The people feeding them are enablers, and they enable the homeless by making their lives easier," Deal told the New Times of Broward County. "Hunger is a big motivator. Are people more likely to seek help when they're hungry or when they're fed and happy?"

Ron Book, chairman of the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust, told city lawmakers at the raucous, Oct. 21 meeting at which the new laws were passed that they would have a positive effect.

"Feeding people on the streets is sanctioning homelessness," Book said. "Whatever discourages feeding people on the streets is a positive thing."

But Abbott said it's something else that brings the poor to Fort Lauderdale.

“The homeless people come here for the weather,” he said. “They know they won’t freeze to death in Fort Lauderdale.”

Abbott, a World War II veteran who won two Purple Hearts as an infantryman, said he won’t stop the fight he has dedicated to his wife.

“She tried to help as many poor and homeless people as she could,” said Abbott, a retired jewelry salesman who grew up in Philadelphia. “When I lost her, I decided the best tribute to her would be a full-time program in her name.”

In addition to feeding the homeless, Love Thy Neighbor operates a culinary training program that Abbott says has helped more than 400 people learn food service skills.

But the food programs have gotten him in trouble for years. In 1999, the city tried to stop Abbott from feeding the homeless on Fort Lauderdale Beach, the same location he plans to go to Wednesday. Abbott sued and won, and says he will go back to court if necessary.

"I’ll go to court again and sue the city," said Abbott. "They are doing the bidding of the very wealthy, and they are trying to sweep the poorest of the poor under the rug.”

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fucking love that Florida has tough abortion laws because of Christian value ppl....yet they outlaw feeding the down and out.. Something that Jesus himself would do......

Bunch of cock sucking closeted faggots

ARM, EndOfLine, AuntDolly and 6 others like this.
  3. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Amen.

4. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I understand both sides. Helping people in need is something every person should have the right to do when its private funds and time doing it. Its you money and time, do what you want. And if its to help people who are hungry, then thats really awesome.

But those supporting the law, imagine living in an area with you family that you consider paradise. Then it turns into a homeless feeding frenzy and although many are just down on their luck types, some have horrible mental issues and some are real evil mother fuckers. Do you want the town you grew up in/made your home to become the unofficial homeless population capital? I know I would have very real issues with that.

Mantis likes this.
  5. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Or play this song all day and night until they leave:

baci likes this.
  6. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck the homeless! :fil:

7. BuffaloTom

BuffaloTom Closed By User Banned User

Reputations:
    At first I thought the headline was "90 year old vet charged for feeding ON the homeless." :bigthink

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  8. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That was way to long of a read. I say lock him up

9. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    jesus what's wrong with them.

10. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes, fuck the homeless.

If they choose not to work, I choose not to give a fuck.

And what does it matter if he's a vet? The deification of veterans is getting a little tired. Many of them go into the profession because they're losers at a deadend in life who never consider the reality of what they're really getting into. Big deal.

What about cops or firefighters? They are just as praiseworthy but always get the short shrift.

11. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Most likely there are many, many designated indoor places where homeless people can be fed and have the correct facilities.

When someone decides to feed the homeless outside, in a park, in any area not designated for this, it makes a mess for the neighborhood. There are probably not sufficient trash cans, bathrooms, etc.

Mantis likes this.
  12. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As long as they don't breed.

There are reasons why you see signs that say "Don't feed the animals."

Figure it out..............

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  13. BuffaloTom

BuffaloTom Closed By User Banned User

Reputations:
    I tend to help those homeless that genuinly appear to have a need. Softy for vets.

1Vegasgirl and chapped like this.
  14. chapped

Reputations:
    I am sure people who lost thier house to shady bankers none of which have served a fucking day in jail are partying like its 1999....

And are so glad to be homeless. .

Lets not forget the 19 year old kids we sent to war for bullshit who are now ruined mentally... fuck those guys. .

Being homeless is fucking rad dude

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    ARM, Butters Stoch and Stew Nod like this.
  15. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Good for the police. They took another thug off the streets. I feel safer already.

16. chapped

Reputations:
    I agree I read he had two purple hearts!! You know you can't trust people who risked their lives for others. ..I say break his legs

ARM likes this.
  17. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    holy fuck the ignorance

18. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    I'm ready to buy the guy a leather that says James Dean on the sleeve and a Harley. Dudes ready to do 60 days in jail over a cheeseburger.

19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    90 years old/ W.W.2 vet.:usflag: Let the guy do as he pleases. Evey day goes by we loose more and more of these vets.:flag:

BuffaloTom and chapped like this.
  20. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    Exactly.

A true American confronting the powers that be, exercising his wisdom and soul. :wub:

I doubt anybody reading this thread will live to tell a tale at 90. He's making them.