911 Memorial Thread - 10 Years

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by dawg, Sep 9, 2011.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Like the Kennedy Assassination years before our generation knows exactly where we were the exact minute of the tragedy.

I had gone back to school in 1999 and graduated in 2001. I was starting a new job that week. I woke that morning and fixed some breakfast and sat down with my mom. She begin to tell me what was going on in the news. I couldn't grasp what was happening. I was in shock. Needless to say i couldn't finish my breakfast. I had a lump in my throat the whole day.

911 changed us forever. We will never be the same. Our innocence was lost that day.

I pray for the families of those loved ones lost that tragic morning.

God bless America and may God be with us on this sad weekend as we remember those heroes and the people that lost their life that day.

Where were you that tragic morning? What were you doing?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. MONK

MONK The fuck? Staff Member Chimp In Charge

Reputations:
    I was there Dawg. 3 blocks away. The 2nd plane flew over my head and I saw it hit Tower 2. Felt and saw the buildings fall. Watched people jump.

Got off Manhattan on a Tugboat to Hoboken. One of the worst days of my life.

Lost 30 friends/associates.

Fuck Terrorists.

3. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    My Heart goes out to you this weekend Monk. I don't want to sound selfish because you are my friend but I am thankful you made it out of there. You had to much to do, you help people Monk you are a good man.

4. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I had come home from work that morning...was working in midtown...and was listening to Howard. I quickly turned on the news and the scope of the tragedy didn't hit me till the towers fell.

And to be honest I'm tired of watching the planes hit and the towers falling.

Never Forget.

5. MONK

Reputations:
    Thanks Dawg. Never easy when the Anniversary hits each year.

6. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    I was a young assistant professor, and my wife and I had just recently left DC and we had lots of friends there. I also had a consulting gig with clients in Manhattan. So I was completely freaking out with concern for them, especially close friends working at the Pentagon. When I first heard what was happening, I was in total disbelief. I was on campus, glued to the radio and searching for any info on the web. I felt sure it was an elaborate prank, like Orsen Welles "War of the Worlds" or something. When reality kicked in, I cancelled classes and went home to be with Mrs. Vyb to watch the news on the tube, slack-jawed and pretty sure it was the origins of WWIII.

My friends were all ok. My clients weren't in the WTC, and my Pentagon friends said they didn't hear a thing, let alone feel it. They said that whole vyb was pretty weird...evacuated and never saw plane parts.

7. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I also remember it affecting my son who was 5 at the time. He knew something terrible happened in the city that day and it worried him/bothered him to know I worked in the city and had to go back in.

8. MONK

Reputations:
    One of my good friends, Lisa Egan as well as her sister, Samantha lost their lives that day. If you hear their names read on Sunday, say a prayer.

9. jackie the jerk

jackie the jerk Not Mexican VIP

Reputations:
    I was driving to work in Livermore CA listening to Howard when it happened, a few hours later I was in a customers house and the video was on TV, the customer was laughing.........yes it was one of those people from where the terrorist was from, I had to leave or I would still be in jail for what I wanted to do to them.

10. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    :killa:

11. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    I was at a bbq last Saturday and someone brought up the topic of the ceremonies being held for the 10th anniversary, which eventually lead to a discussion about the "reading of the names" specifically. It seemed most of the people there were in agreement that the "reading of the names" had run its course and they felt it was kind of morbid that it was still being done after 10 years. I found this rather surprising because at least 80% of the people there were either NYPD or FDNY at the time of the attack or closely related to them. The person who specifically made the morbid comment lost her firefighter husband in the attacks. Personally, I didn't loose any relatives or close friends and I only watched the "reading of the names" during the first memorial ceremony, so I never gave it much thought. I just figured the family and friends of lost ones would appreciate it, but after hearing the comments at the bbq, it does seem a bit morbid to keep doing it for so long. Anyone else have any feelings about that?

12. Bye You!

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Brand spanking new subway sign

And PMF, I think it should be done every year. Forever.

13. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    I certainly mean to offend no one, but I'd say it has run it's course. It takes a lot of time that they could be using to do other things. They could start allowing family members of those lost to get up and tell stories/talk about the person they lost. That would have more of an impact than a long.list of monotonous names. You'd actually know something about the person and not just lose their name in a blur. I realize it would take a lot of years for everyone to get a chance to talk, but oh well.

14. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Watched as many co-workers died a fiery, miserable, smoke filled death assuming none of them jumped [​IMG]

I would go for meetings and stuff but luckily didn't work in those buildings

Mostly worked at one of the the other locations or at home.

Pathetically, the coward CEO didn't even do the corporate eulogy to the remaining employees. He passed it off to some effing stooge and didn't even show up

People were really pissed off about that one [​IMG]

15. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
  16. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    You could channel that anger you felt that day in the Ft. Wayne area if you'd like. I'm sure it would make you as well as us feel better.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  17. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    It was weird being down there recently for the first time. I was expecting something along the lines of what I had seen on TV for the first few years but I just looked like any other construction site. The memorial on the fire station was very moving though.

18. Bye You!

Reputations:
    I hate that goddamned Swirly Building. :pissed: ruins my view.

I named it the Swirly Building because it is, actually, swirly.

Will post Swirly Pic in a bit.

19. Bye You!

Reputations:
  20. Bye You!

Reputations:
    Does look pretty in late afternoon though.

[​IMG]