99% of movies suck.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Xandra, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Xandra

Xandra New Member

Reputations:
    It's all about money so don't go watch them.

2. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Agreed.

3. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I do like popcorn though and ju ju bees.

4. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i disagree. i'm pretty sure it's closer to 100% than that

5. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    I find it hard to watch Hollywood blockbusters anymore (other than some of the animated movies)
    can't stand all the CGI and regurgitated plots. give me a character-driven indie any day...

6. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wait until that new Wizard Of Oz shitpile. :jj:

:shit:
    [​IMG]

7. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    There's a few good ones out there...I'd say 90% of them suck.

8. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    Totally agree! And most actors suck. It's almost unbearable.

9. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've always thought the 90's were the best years for blockbuster action flicks. Now every blockbuster action flick is just a CGI fart machine.

10. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    80's movies were the shit! 100% truth!

11. Tans Lover

Tans Lover Active Member

Reputations:
    and 99.9% of today's tv shows suck

12. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just watched the Thomas Crown Affair the other day and it was really good...Pierce Brosnan, Rene Russo, and Denis Leary.

13. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Just watch TV then. Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Game of Thrones. Sopranos, Shield, OZ, Wire on reruns. There's no need to go to the movies anymore. The Sopranos is 80+ hours. Buy the DVDs and you have close to 40 feature length films. You re-watch the entirety of a show like South Park or Futurama and you're looking at a few hundred hours of entertainment.

New movies are a joke. Movie theaters are awful. You're better off purchasing loads of quality cinema on DVD and Blu-Ray and investing in a high end home theater if you are into film. Last week I watched Braveheart, Terminator 1&2, Saving Private Ryan, and Goodfellas in my home theater. No one interrupted me. No cell phones went off. I could get up and take a piss and the movies could be paused. I could even smoke a cigar and make my own espresso.

We're probably no less than ten years away from people being able to install a quality home theater system in their house for under $1,500. At that point most hardcore movie goers will never attend the cinema again. And then it will spread to families, college students, and the only reason to go the theater will be for enormous movies like Avengers or The Hobbit.

14. Tranquil

Reputations:
    So wrong there, these are the glory years for tv. You just have to avoid regular cable, and watch premium channels to get the good stuff.

Dexter
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Breaking Bad
    True Blood
    Boardwalk Empire
    Game of Thrones
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Deadwood

And a lot more...

A few of those shows just recently ended, but I have to put them on the list.

15. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Your contribution to this thread is a 14 year old remake of the classic Steve McQueen movie?
    Holy shit! You are a Booey.:apedance:

16. Tranquil

Reputations:
    I purchased an Optoma Gametime Projector which yields me a 150"+/- screen ($750) and purchased a quality sound system all for under 1,000. The sound system I purchased was used, but if you think about it, put 300-400$ and you will have an AMAZING sound system I just went the used route.

I have a home theater and I spend next to nothing for it and my friends come over on the weekend and we just hang and play games, and watch movies.

17. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There is not enough original new movies, too many remakes, sequels, prequels, superhero movies, remakes of superhero movies, monthly low budget horror movies, etc....

18. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with many of those points, but there's something about the big screen that keeps people coming back. It's still a more powerful experience than than Blu-ray at home. It does suck if people are talking or texting....but there are plenty of theaters where that doesn't happen, if you're lucky enough to find them.

The theatrical thing will remain in place for a long time, but it really sucks that Hollywood is leaning on comic books for hits....there still are intelligent adult dramas bringing in money, so there is a glimmer of hope.

19. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I used to make movies and now work for HBO making TV shows. People go to the theater because it is a social thing. They go with dates. They go with friends. It is a social appointment. When a major new movie is coming out you invite your friends and go to the mall. You grab some food, maybe go shopping, and then watch a film. It's a great form of social entertainment. Hardly anyone goes to the movies alone. So movies are heavily marketed for couples and crowds.

It's one of the forms of entertainment where consumers usually multiply immediately. You sell one person on a movie and they always bring a friend or two. You sell a guy and he brings his girlfriend. You sell mom and she brings her three kids. It's not like marketing a book or a video game where you really have to track individual units and heavily try to combat the secondary (used) market. Movies are an outing whereas video games and TV are still targeted at individuals.

But now we are seeing that appointment television is becoming extremely popular. It used to be that maybe two or three TV shows would really be social entertainment where all of your friends would come over. Shows like The Sopranos or LOST. Where it wasn't about watching them by yourself, but getting together with your friends and watching together, and then talking about them the next day at school or work. Now we are starting to see companies try to embrace social viewing.

They put #twitterhastags on their shows. Trying to get people across the world watching at the same time. They have social programs after the shows like The Talking Dead. Now TV studios are starting to see that they can tap into the social aspect of television viewing and get people to watch their shows like a movie experience. Instead of watching The Walking Dead alone you get all of your friends together. Instead of waiting until Monday to watch Game of Thrones on demand you pack your house with your friends and watch the game unfold in front of you.

Sports have been marketed like this for years. Pay attention to the commercials during sports. It is always aimed at parties and families. Ordering a pizza? Get one for the entire family. Drinking some beer? Better get enough for your 50 friends. They market their products at crowds. Encouraging Sunday night NFL viewing to be a party or a social setting. Involve your friends and family.
    Well here's the thing. Comic Books have already made the characters, the stories, the drama, the action. It's all written. And they know what works. Marvel and DC know their hot properties. They know that Batman and Iron Man will do well. Because those franchises have built in fan bases. You don't need to hire lots of writers for an Avengers or Captain America when they borrow the entire story from the comics. They just need someone to adapt and then they slap a famous person's name on as writer or producer.

TV does this as well. Game of Thrones is based on books. True Blood is based on books. Walking Dead is based on comics. Boardwalk Empire is based on history. The Wire was based on David Simon's newspaper articles. Homeland is a remake of an Israeli show. The Killing was a remake of a Danish show. You very rarely see an entirely original idea. If something works then it works.

Goodfellas was based on a biographical book. Sopranos was based on several mafia biographies. They borrowed heavily from already told stories. But they still work. If you have the passion to create a masterpiece then you'll get some incredible work. The difference between Goodfellas and then the comic book films is that Martin Scorsese wanted to make a work of art. Marvel Comics will churn out an easy film and throw $150 million in marketing behind it. But the Godfather movies were based on books. Goodfellas, Sopranos, Boardwalk as well. So I'm not concerned with people looking to already written stories for film or TV.

20. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Then why the fuck do people do nothing but talk throughout the film???!!!??? :banghead: