News A Draft Dodger Explains Why Trump Is Not Like Other Draft Dodgers......

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ving, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why Trump Is Not Like Other Draft Dodgers
    By TED GUPAUG. 3, 2016

Photo
    [​IMG]

Credit Kiersten Essenpreis
    Boston — On the evening of Dec. 1, 1969, I was sitting on the floor of a crowded Brandeis University dorm room while on the TV the birth dates of men across the nation, contained in small blue capsules, were drawn out of a container. This lottery would largely determine who among some 850,000 of the draft-eligible would go to Vietnam and who would be left to carry on with their careers, free from the threat of enemy fire.

That evening came back to me on Tuesday as I read about Donald Trump’s multiple student deferments and the bone spurs he said exempted him from service. I am no fan of Mr. Trump’s, but on this issue, I am in no position to stand in judgment. I had the dubious honor of being picked first in that 1969 lottery, along with all the eligible men who shared my birthday, Sept. 14. But I did not go into service. Just before I graduated, I instead availed myself of a psychiatrist who, for a fee, swore that I suffered from delusions of grandeur because I wanted to be a writer and travel the world. Funny how the truth can be twisted into something so dishonorable.

Mr. Trump and I were among those favored sons who could find a relatively easy exit from the draft. But Mr. Trump still stands out. Reading of his comments questioning Senator John McCain’s status as a hero, his equating the risks of contracting sexual diseases with the perils of combat, his attack on the family of a fallen Muslim officer, and his claim of sacrifice in pursuit of wealth and self-aggrandizement, I realized just how isolated and self-absorbed he was during that turbulent period, and how completely out of sync he is with most of his generation, veterans and evaders alike. He seems to have escaped the turmoil of the 1960s and ’70s not merely unscathed, but untouched by humanity.

For many of us who avoided the draft, the ensuing years brought with them not merely a measure of guilt, but also a deeper appreciation for the sacrifices of those who did serve. They gave rise to a new patriotism — one tinged with remorse, but also renewed recognition of the courage and grit of those who, no older than ourselves and no less eager to get on with their lives, had gone off to war.

I went into journalism, and one of my earliest assignments was to interview former Vietnam prisoners of war for articles about changing responses to interrogation and torture. I could not help thinking about what these P.O.W.s had endured while I read Horace and Catullus in the library. Over future assignments, I came to know better the caliber of men beside whom I might have fought.

Now 65, I am past the internal debate of whether it was cowardice or careerism or, most likely, some combination of the two that led to my decision not to serve. But that decision still imposes on me an added responsibility to pay homage to those who did serve — not to succumb to the insults of “baby killers” or the patronizing perception of volunteers as dupes, but to recognize that we are in their debt. I know of no one else of my generation who avoided the war who could speak the words that Mr. Trump did, who seems not to feel a pang of — call it what you will — conscience or guilt over unearned privilege or crass luck. We all have the sense that we, too, owe the country something of ourselves.

I do not begrudge Mr. Trump’s using deferments that many others also pursued. That would be the height of hypocrisy. But I am dumbstruck that someone who carries the weight of having seen others go off in his stead — friends, neighbors, classmates, teammates — could sneer at those who gave so much to the country. This is a threshold test of basic humanity and self-reflection that is, at least among those I know who did not go to war, heightened, not diminished.

The ignobility of the Vietnam era — the corruption and manipulation of the draft, the disproportionate numbers of the poor and minorities pressed into service, the ability of so much of the nation to carry on as if there were no war — created in many of us a special sense of purpose, a desire to make amends, to carry the weight of citizenship, albeit belatedly. Like so many other debts, this is one Mr. Trump evidently feels no obligation to repay.

It may have been a bone spur that rendered Mr. Trump ineligible for service, but it is, as that fallen soldier’s father, Khizr Khan, has observed, the absence of a soul that should now render him ineligible to represent this nation as commander in chief. No one with so little appreciation for past sacrifices should be in a position to make still more demands of others.

Ted Gup (@Ted_Gup), a professor of journalism at Emerson College, is the author of “A Secret Gift: How One Man’s Kindness — and a Trove of Letters — Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression.”

sumtexan, ZevonFan, Punctured and 4 others like this.
  2. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. The Filthy Beast

The Filthy Beast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :artiejj:wah foot boo hoo

ZevonFan, FosterKitten, XuXu and 2 others like this.
  6. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Thank you for your dis-service.

yaddc, JameGumb and Ving like this.
  7. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

He almost died in active duty when our country's symbol tried to murder him....

[​IMG]

FosterKitten, DuckDong, yaddc and 3 others like this.
  8. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  9. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    Yet another Trump thread.

Obsessed faggot.

Wiggie, check1 and Lemmy like this.
  10. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    ^^^^this^^^^

check1 likes this.
  11. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

and the obsessed closeted homo with 20,000 more posts than I have posts in every one of them. :rofl:

DuckDong and Punctured like this.
  12. Asshat13

Asshat13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    can't wait for this election to be over.

13. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    People forget that the potential "first gentleman" is also a draft dodger having made several maneuvers including having a ARK Senator enroll him in the ROTC to avoid fighting in Viet Nam, stuck a cigar up the snatch of an impressionable intern, is accused of more than a dozen instances ranging from improper sexual advances to outright rape, and is presently cuck'ing Shillary with a hot blonde the secret service agents named "The Energizer Bunny" almost every time she leaves their home in Chappaqua.

So let's take a deep breath and put all of this into its proper perspective

MadWoman777 and Rabid Dogman like this.
  14. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Yeah, you'd have a great point if Bill was running. But you go ahead and vote for the guy who has a pending lawsuit that says he likes to fuck small children and who dodged the draft, insulted POWs and Gold Star families.

15. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    you'd have a great point if you swore on a stack of bibles that you didn't vote 2x for Bill, because dodging was a concern. But go ahead and vote a serial rapist back into the WH and a president who assassinated the characters of many of his victims, although she knew the claims were true. Also vote for a skeev who peddled her government influence for large speaking fees, consultancies for her husband-in-name-only and donations to the toxic "Clinton Foundation." There's no higher ground here.

Wiggie, ShutUpSitDown and Dirty South like this.
  16. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    How else can I point out what an obsessed faggot you are?

Dirty South likes this.
  17. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Trump got a deferment for having a boo boo on his foot.

Bill Clinton got a deferment for being a genius and getting into the best school on the planet.

You can call someone a rapist all you want, he was never accused of rape. There is no court case for Bill Clinton raping anyone, ever. So you're full of shit. Trump has a pending case heading to court with multiple witnesses that says he likes to fuck small children.

DuckDong, Muffler, KrofftFly and 2 others like this.
  18. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good postings Ving. You are a far bigger patriot than Trump. :salute:

19. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Clinton also got a deferment by having Sen Fulbright crowbar him into the ROTC - that's a conscious evasion of duty. If you don't think Clinton is a serial rapist, it's you who's full of shit.. and if you don't think that his wife in name only is not an enabler, you're wallowing in manure

Rabid Dogman likes this.
  20. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

You sound jealous, did you cheated on your wife and she dumped your ass? Why would I care if she's able to forgive him? You're insane.

Bill Clinton was one of our greatest presidents in history. Hindsight is 20/20, he served his country very well.

Sen Fulbright did the right thing, he knew Clinton had potential for greatness unlike the disgracefulness accused pedophile you're defending.