A Little History of Artie's Downfall

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Night Ape, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was thinking about how nobody from Sirius has gone into detail about Artie's termination for the Stern Show.

Here is a rough timeline of Artie's downfall I stitched together after revisiting "Crash and Burn" and The Artie Lange Addiction Saga in attempt to find any clues as to why that is:

Dec 9 2009 - Artie's last day on-air. Artie stayed up all night drinking whisky and snorting powders. Arrived to work on time. Was noticeably fucked up. After work, Tim Sabean called Artie at home and asked he take some time off and consider going to rehab. Tim said "It's not an ultimatum, but is what we'd like you to do." Artie agreed.

Dec 12 09 - Artie is brought to rehab by his family, Helicopter Mike and "Joe the Cop"

Dec 20 09 - Art checks out of rehab.

Dec 23 09 - Artie returns to Hoboken, starts using again immediately.

Jan 2 2010 - A week-long bender ends with Artie overdosing on Lexapro, drinking bleach and stabbing himself nine times. He is discovered by his mother and sister, who call 911, saving his life.
    Artie spends a week in the hospital. After his wounds heal, he is sent to a psych ward.

Jan 19 10 - Howard talks to Artie on the phone in the psych ward.

Feb 2 10 - Artie is released from the psych ward and refuses to go to rehab. Instead, he enters a deep depression which confines him to a spare bedroom in his mother's house for a year+. He resumes his drug use, even sending his mother out to pick up scripts.

Feb 23 10 - Meanwhile, back at the Stern Show, a caller named Deena enrages Howard by demanding an Artie update. Howard says there is no update.

Mar 4 10 - Howard says he spoke to Artie a couple days ago. Said he sounded really "up" and claimed he'd been sober for 54 days and was going to meetings.*

April 3 2011 - After 14 months of depression and chronic drug use, Artie finally decides it's time to get clean. Colin Quinn forces Artie into Sunrise Detox in Stirling, NJ. After completing 22 days in detox, Artie is moved to Ambrosia rehab center in Singer Island, Florida, where he will spend 2+ months.

Jun 18 11 - Clarence Clemons dies. Artie bewilderingly credits this as the reason he decides to honor his rehab and stay clean.

late June 11 - Artie leaves rehab. Nick DiPaolo invites Artie to do a "test show" for a new radio program.

Jul 6 11 - Artie and Nick DiPaolo guest host the Tony Bruno show; Artie's first live radio appearence since Dec 9 09.

Oct 3 11 - "Nick & Artie" debuts

*This alleged phone call is not in Artie's book. It is only mentioned by Howard on the Stern Show. According to Artie, he was a bed-ridden junkie at this time, only taking walks around his neighborhood to score drugs.

I don't believe Howard made this up. It's more likely Artie did call Howard and blatantly lied about being clean. This could very well be the reason Howard cut ties with Artie.

2. Mfactor

Mfactor Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Where is Joe the cop and Helicopter Mike these days???

3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Couldn't find it on Youtube, but that Nick and Artie team-up on Tony Bruno was fantastic - really made me optimistic about Artie's future. The N&A show was also gold in its early days. Too good to last, unfortunately. Almost six years ago? Geez, time flies.

austin54, yaddc, Dorb and 1 other person like this.
  4. Precious

Precious Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't have the dates, but here's the relevant timeline.

Artie appears on the Joe Buck Show, viciously rips Buck a new A-hole.

Controversy follows.

Wiggy and Artie discuss the outburst on THSS. Despite Artie's defense, Wiggy tells Artie that he's mean and cuts off Artie's mike. No longer third mike, Artie becomes the ghost haunting the reborn Wiggy-Aunt Jemima snore-fest.

Then the show blacked out like The Sopranos' finale, except this time it made sense.

5. Chrisboom

Chrisboom Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    When did he have time to walk to St. Louis?
    :artiejj:

6. CrazyPatSherill

CrazyPatSherill Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That's an astute observation about when Howard cuts ties. I believe Artie denies that second phone call specifically.

I actually remember, around that time, they were talking with a caller about what a pain in the ass Jackie had been. Howard then made the general comment "I just don't wanna deal with any more drama here. I don't want to be lied to..." clearly a reference to Artie. As soon as I heard Howard say that I thought "Wow, Artie's never coming back" and he didn't.

gdonz, Nowhere Man and Night Ape like this.
  7. Night Ape

Reputations:
    :hat:

It was at such odds with all the bitterness Artie has been radiating lately, it jumped out at me.

My theory is that call led to Sirius sending someone to check on Artie's progress / estimate when he'd be well enough to return to work.

Finding him NOT on the mend at all, but a bed-ridden, lying junkie, led them to make a decision.

8. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Lynn Samuels is in better shape than Artie now.

Tony Dogs and yaddc like this.
  9. ICU

ICU Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    artie really facked up by denying HOwie as his bro...

stern was the father figure mentor artie lived for..

now hes desperate for any kind of positive enabling..

:giggle:

10. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I miss Lynn she was some ball breaker.

John Smith likes this.
  11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie killed on the Sid and Bernie show.

Precious and John Smith like this.
  12. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard called Artie once. Since Artie cant speak Hebrew and is not a tribe member: Howard cut ties.
    Only tribe and loyal to the tribe can be in touch with the elder of Zion Howard.

At least when Robin was in house arrest she stayed loyal to the cause = Howard protected her / The Power clamped down on media reports about her house arrest. (and invented the "cancer" story)

13. Night Ape

Reputations:
    Wow. I didn't know Alex Jones posted here..

Kelsma03, Mama looka and yaddc like this.
  14. coo_be

coo_be Member

Reputations:
    It's bewildering that Artie after all the chances Howard gave can still act like he was hard done by in the end.

I don't care who you are.....Have an employee stab themselves in the stomach after consistently lying, failing to turn up to work, causing in house conflicts due to 'not being able to score' so you come to work and go off as in the ted incident. I honestly think Artie believed he WAS the Stern show and at that point in time had free reign to do and say whatever he pleased.

Now he's creeping about like that fired reporter that shot his ex-colleges live on air.

I did wish him well, even after his latest arrest, but the insistence he won't change has put me in the same place where I expect a lot of his fans are right now. Simply put, It's boring, dated and painful to follow his insistence on being a voluntary victim.

Selfish fuck with money, plain and simple. If he cared about anyone apart from himself he would have cleaned up years ago. Until that happens the obvious will continue to unfold.

Kelsma03, yaddc and gdonz like this.
  15. Kobesagent

Kobesagent Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was listening to an old clip where Ronnie pranked an altercation on the AGT site and remember Howard mentioning Joe and cop like describing him. Not certain if it's the same guy.

16. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I miss that old whore

17. John Smith

Reputations:
    Probably died of a broken heart after Sirius exiled her to weekends only.:rip:
    I remember Lynn from her early days at WABC, she was pretty funny.

yaddc likes this.
  18. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard had no problem vanquishing tribe member Gilbert to phantom zone

19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You remember Bob Grant ?

20. John Smith

Reputations: