A look back at Custer's Last Stand

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, May 14, 2014.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Custer's Last Stand took place on June 26th in 1876 at the Battle of Little Bighorn in Montana. Custer's 7th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army engaged in a battle against the combines forces of the Lakota, Arapaho, and the Northern Cheyenne, who were led by Sitting Bull and Chief Gall.
    Custer regiment of the 7th Cavalry went into the battle with about 625 men. Based on scouts and Indian agents info, they were told there was about 800 hostiles in the area. Custer always stood by that the US Army and their firepower could never lose a fight to an Indian offensive and surely not to a offensive of 800 men. Problem was the info was way off as many historians have concluded that the Indian offensive that Custer ran into was.... 1,500 to 2,500 men.

As Custer went to cross Medicine Tail to engage into battle, he was surprised by an attack by a larger army of Indians which now included more Sioux Indians who had just won a battle nearby and were coming over to help. He was quickly forced to turn around and retreat to Last Stand Hill as the Indians continued to decimated Custers men all the way there. As the men hit the Hill, they went on the defensive and dealt the Indians the most of their casualties. But within an hour the Indians swarmed and surrounded the tired and wounded cavalry and wiped out Custer and everyone of his men, which included Custers two brothers, his nephew and brother in law. From archaeological digs, it is known most of Custer's men had their legs, arms and heads cut off by the Indians.

There's still a debate whether Custer made horrible strategic moves like breaking his 7th Cavalry into 3 smaller bands which weakened his force and using an outdated V formation attack. But some are saying now that Custer was a smart general but was in trouble from the get go because of US Army cutbacks that affected his regiment. Custer's men had single shot rifles that had to be reloaded. Custer had no idea that the Indians had over 100 Winchester rifles that could be fired 16 before having to be reloaded. Custer also had a lot of boys in his cavalry, boys that were under age for U.S. military service.

[​IMG]
    General Custer bottom right with dog.

[​IMG]
    Last Stand Hill, today.

[​IMG]
    Animal and human bones still left over from two years later in 1888.

[​IMG]
    More remains.

[​IMG]
    Archeologists today finding more bones and artifacts

[​IMG]
    A US Army revolver used in the battle.

[​IMG]
    The men's belt buckles, bullets, coins, cannon primers, etc.

[​IMG]
    Trumpets, cups, etc, from the battle field.

[​IMG]
    More Artifacts found from the battlefield.

[​IMG]
    US Riffle from the battle.

[​IMG]

Comanche, the only US Army survivor from the Battle of Little Bighorn. Comanche was the horse of Captain Miles Keogh of the 7th Cavalry. He was Captain Keogh's horse in a battle in Kansas a couple years earlier and took an arrow to his hindquarters but still carried Keogh throughout the whole battle. At the Battle of Little Bighorn he again carried Keogh into battle. Comanche was shot 7 times and speared(You can see some of the scars above). He was shot four times to his back foreshoulder, once to his hoof and once to each of his hind legs. Comanche was found in a ravine a day later where he "crawled down to, to die and be eaten by the crows". Sergeant Milton DeLacey and his men found Comanche, raised him up and cared for him removing the bullets and tending to the wounds. He was brought back to fort Meade where he was cared for and treated "like a prince". He died years later at the age of 29 of Colic and is one of only two horses to be given a military funeral by the U.S.

[​IMG] I salute you, Comanche.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That stuff fascinate s meh

3. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:
    Fuckin A. I would like to visit that battlefield.

4. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    Another excellent thread LT!

5. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...there was a guy that escaped the massacre that day who went on to live in washington state, became very wealthy farming large acreage. cant remember exactly what he did but i believe his story is true. he died in the early 1900's.

6. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Bet ya it's haunted!

7. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
  8. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Sitting Bull

Nice find. The Comanche story rocks.

9. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
  10. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    cool pics!

The date of Custer's Last Stand is also my birthday.... They threw a massacre in my honor, Robin. :c

11. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    First report of the battle

NY Times July 6, 1876

MASSACRE OF OUR TROOPS.; FIVE COMPANIES KILLED BY INDIANS. GEN. CUSTER AND SEVENTEEN COMMISSIONED OFFICERS BUTCHERED IN A BATTLE ON THE LITTLE HORN--ATTACK ON AN OVERWHELMINGLY LARGE CAMP OF SAVAGES--THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN MEN KILLED AND THIRTY-ONE WOUNDED--TWO BROTHERS, TWO NEPHEWS, AND A BROTHER-IN LAW OF CUSTER AMONG THE KILLED--THE BATTLE-FIELD LIKE A SLAUGHTER PEN.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F20810FA345B127B93C4A9178CD85F428784F9

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. LaserT

Reputations:
    They think his story is not true at all now. Historians stand by that there were no Custer survivors of that battle. He's one of many to to say they were a Bighorn survivor in later later tales. Almost all the survivors have stories of them leaving early or being carried off by their horses so they don't have to answer battle questions that would tell if they were there or not. But, who knows. :dontknow:

It's like all the old men out west who in later life while drinking, claimed to be Billy The Kid. :hehe:

13. LaserT

Reputations:
    Indeed it does. ;)

14. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...i saw a documentary about this on the history channel. the army was very much un regulated back then, a guy could say his name was john doe and there was no way to know if that was his real name. according to the history channel people would join the army back then in order to start a new life, new identity, new location.

he could be a fake but i have to say i enjoyed the film from history channel.

15. baby booie

baby booie Active Member

Reputations:
    the nerve of those indians defending their homeland from invaders

16. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We did a motor home tour of The West when I was around 13 (a long time ago!) and one of many stops was an afternoon at that battlefield. I recall there being a very small museum, but for the most part it was very plain and non-touristy. It must have made an impact because I remember doing a report on Custer's last stand that next school year.

Good stuff, Mr. Tilt!

17. LaserT

Reputations:
    Yeah love watching those to R.P. Hey, I love the tales of the Billy the Kids and the Bighorn survivors. I've read a couple of the Bighorn supposed survivors(Finkle, Frank Fleck, Raymond Gardner, Hayward, Billy Heath, etc) but they say they are false and have holes in the tales. I wish they are real though because it is fascinating, but who knows unfortunately. If they did, hey God bless them.

18. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    laser tilt, ego amote'

19. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...ever watched america unearthed with the geologist scott volter that goes around finding ancient caves and drawings in america? youve probably seen it but i love it when he says in the intro that everything we have been taught is wrong. theres a jessie james expert/fanatic that has a phd, in what im not sure but he went around finding jessie james initials carves on tress and rock etc and located knights of the golden circle gold that was burried in mason jars to be used as payment for the next civil war. some people think jessie james lived well beyong the day he was supposedly shot by frank ford. its pretty convincing since they found trinkets of jewelry stashed in a secret spot that are featured in actual photos of jessie and his mother. i love all this stuff, keep the interesting stuff coming.

20. LaserT

Reputations:
    No, heard of it but never got to it. I have to watch that soon. Sounds like good stuff. :thumbup2: