News A 'Normal' person can turn into a sadist in the blink of an eye - Stanford Prison Experiment

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jul 17, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    main-qimg-cf2230565146e4680a15f5c1494bb5b0.gif

In 1971, Stanford University psychology professor Dr. Philip Zombardo began The Stanford Prison Experiment, in which he hoped to understand how an institution could affect an individual. By having some students role play as prison guards and others as prisoners, he wanted to monitor the psychological aspects of how those new roles affected them.

And yet, six days into the experiment, Zimbardo shut it down. In a very short amount of time, things had gotten out of hand, with the prison guards using their power for bad, forcing prisoners to spend time in a dark closet and perform other scarring acts. And now, director Kyle Patrick Alvarez has turned the experiment into a film, The Stanford Prison Experiment, starring Billy Crudup, Ezra Miller, Michael Angarano, and more.

“I only knew about the experiment in the most superficial way, probably from some Psych 101 class or something,” Crudup, who plays Dr. Zimbardo in the film, said. “I was certainly not a psychology major but the screenplay read so taut and it was terrifying to read. [It was a] great opportunity to tell an engaging and exciting story. And then I looked at one picture of Dr. Philip Zimbardo from 1971 and I was like, ‘I definitely want to play that guy.’”

And despite the fact that the experiment was surrounded in controversy questioning the academic methods used, as well as the merits of the results, the real Dr. Zimbardo was heavily involved with the film, working with producers for years on the script.

But when it came time to play him, Crudup decided that, because the film focused more on the experiment and wasn’t a character study of Zimbardo, he wouldn’t meet the man he was portraying until he’d gotten comfortable with his own version of Dr. Zimbardo. “As a doctor of psychology, you do wonder what influence you’ll be under when you’re playing him,” Crudup said. “So the idea of interviewing him and perhaps being caught in his spell I felt was a risk that I didn’t need to take early on.”

Eventually, Crudup got to know Zimbardo, and walking away from the film, he feels he’s learned a thing or two about human psychology. “One [takeaway] is a sense of humility about how well we know ourselves and how well we can predict our behavior. There are some unconscious forces and physiological forces that make it difficult for people to behave with their moral certainty in unfamiliar situations. You imagine that you are yourself no matter what and you’re always going to do the right thing, so to see young men who were quite capable and well-adjusted and attending an IV league institution so quickly be influenced by the role playing was alarming and humbling.”

When asked what he thinks he would’ve done if he’d been asked to play a prison guard in this experiment in college, Crudup admitted that he wouldn’t have been a hero. “I would have likely been one of the ones timidly standing on the side. And they’re as complicit as the ones who are being brutal,” he said. “At 19, as I was trying to fit in to my college at UNC, there’s so many different ways to be insecure and vulnerable and if somebody says jump, you’re most likely to jump, particularly if they’re wearing a uniform. Since the people in power, the teachers and the researchers, weren’t doing anything to prevent the John Wayne character from being so abusive, that’s the kind of passive affirmation that that’s an okay way to behave, and I think I would’ve been intimidated by that. I’m sorry to say. I wish I could say I would’ve been heroic and stopped the whole thing, but we don’t have many of those people. Most of those people have a mountain named after them or something. And at the moment there is no Crudup Mountain.”

Watch an exclusive clip from The Stanford Prison Experiment, which hits theaters Friday, July 17 and VOD July 24, below:

Original footage

PSU Shower Room and John Walker like this.
  2. John Walker

John Walker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember this vaguely. Reminds of an electric shock study a ways back. People were given the ability to shock people when they felt the subject was doing something wrong or annoyed them. As it turns out, there was no real shock and the "subjects" were actors. It didn't stop the volunteers from "shocking" them to the point where they had "heartattacks" despite desperate (and realistic pleas for mercy). You may not be so shocked to find out what we're all really capable of. Had a client this week who got her house shot up by her ex while her son and her mother were inside. Her only concern was that he get a little counseling when they finally catch him. According to her "He's a good man who just had a bad day!" Kinda makes you get cold when they come back for shelter placement when they let'em back in the house. The point is that you can get all the degrees you want. You can study people for your entire life, but you'll never really understand why people do the things they do. Then again, maybe we're all just violent animals trying to be civil with varying degrees of success...and I'm rambling. You get the idea.

3. Smartguy

Smartguy This Space Is For Rent VIP

Reputations:
    I remember that from my first year sociology class. The Zombardo effect.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  4. dawg

Reputations:
    Humans are horrible people.

Droog, teehee, Cinnaminion and 2 others like this.
  5. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    did people really smoke like that back in the day?

6. John Walker

John Walker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Generally speaking? Yep.

7. dawg

Reputations:
    People still smoke like that today. You just cant do it indoors any more, but have you seen the crowds outside smoking?

Cinnaminion and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  8. Dump Button

Reputations:
    I haven't but it's was weird to see so much smoking indoors in the movie clip.

9. dawg

Reputations:
    It was a nightmare, can you imagine all that smoke?

queerface and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  10. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
  11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Humans are some of the best people I know.

teehee and Dirty South like this.
  12. Dump Button

Reputations:
    Had to be a lot. I suspect the smoke probably stained everything inside a heavily smoked room.

Which reminds me of my smoking days when I was at the ATL airport smoking room. Very disgusting. The smoke was so thick I even debated just breathing in the air and save on my cig money :jj:

13. dawg

Reputations:
    All those rooms were yellow i imagine.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Dump Button like this.
  14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    To be fair the regular air isn't that much better.

15. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    that room was atrocious!

16. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    90% of the guys also look like greasy pervs you wouldn't allow around minors.

Dump Button and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  17. Bye You!

Reputations:
    I do not like Billy Crudup much

[​IMG]

18. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    Agreed.
    Didn't he leave her for Claire Danes? Wasn't she super pregnant (Mary) when he did the dumping?

Bye You! likes this.
  19. Bye You!

Reputations:
    Yes and yes. I love Mary-Louise. Adorable, and a class act.

queerface and PI Nate like this.
  20. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    Same here.