Entertainment A Spoilery Place to talk about Avengers 2 in a frank manner

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TallTyrion, May 1, 2015.

1. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Hey guys...saw it last night at IMAX in 3D. Got the poster.
    I loved it. My wife? She says she did, but I caught her looking at her phone a ton...
    I thought the movie was a solid 4 out of 5 stars, however I have some things that either didn't wash with me or flat out bothered me.
    But first...here's the good:
    What really worked for me:
    The witty reparte between Stark and Cap -
    This lightened the movie and made it seem avengery and buddy pic-like almost
    The whole opening sequence with the attack on the hydra base - you just have to see it if you didn't. It was funner than the main boss fight to me.
    Spader as Ultron - Perfect voice casting, personality really worked, perfect amount of sarcasm mixed with angst and anger.
    Ulysses Klaw and the mention of Wakanda (which got a huge pop in our theater) - They did a good job setting up the Blaek Panther movie if that's where they are going with this. I would have loved to see the Black Panther in this movie, but oh, well. This wasn't a long segment, but it was set up perfectly to me.
    Vision's Suit - Damn, that was as close to the comic as they can get. I thought it was fantastic. His introduction and storyline was near perfect...except for the mindstone of course...more on that to come.
    A majority of the fight sequences - I'm going to bitch about excessive CGI later, but the live action fight sequences and especially the sequences with Pietro fighting were particularily well done to me.
    The major plotline - It was done mostly perfect, although some of the artistic license they did with the plot bothered me, it was a minor pertuberance.

Now nothing was awful in this movie, but here are the things that kind of annoyed me.
    Hawkeye has a family? - What the fuck, over? They live on a country farm with a big fucking american flag and Natasha, who they are calling "nat" now out of nowhere knows all about it....grr.
    Too much fucking CGI going on - Now the featured sequences are done well, but the background stuff looks horrifically harryhausen-esque to me and there was just too much going on through a majority of the fight scenes and looked almost spiderman 3/matrix 2-3-ish to me. Overdone.
    That storyline piece that just sticks in your craw - This for me was the linking of the Mindstone, to Ultron and the Vision. I know they weren't going to use Hank Pym in this storyline, but tying Ultron to Loki's staff and the mindstone was probably a little too complex for most everybody that wasn't a medium fanboy. They could have done that better to me.
    Wanda and Pietro - Yeah. Hated Wanda's costume and powers. The girl herself was too young to play the part too given their real storyline. I guess they couldn't mention Magneto or the fact that they were the M word, but hmm, not a great introduction to me. Also Pietro's dead...so there's that. FWIW I thought that they handled his fight scenes and his capabilities and costume perfectly. Shame.
    The Avengers "B" Team - Yeah...not a good idea with THOSE heroes. War Machine, Falcon, Vision, Wanda, Cap and Natasha? Me no likey.
    The Post Credits easter egg - That was a huge head shaker to me as we've seen the Infinity Gauntlet AND Thanos before...but that's just me. I would have liked to see Spidey showing up with the Avengers B team instead, but that's just me.

Let's talk about this fanboys/girls and geeks....I know not everyone agreed with me. A solid movie, but some things left on the table to me.

GLguygardner and ARM like this.
  2. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Here's a spoiler.

It's all made up!

3. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    you should have put that in the religion thread man!!!! WTF?

4. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Days of Future Past Quicksilver or Age of Ultron Quicksilver?

Shortwave98 and ARM like this.
  5. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    AoU Quicksilver. They didn't even call them by their codenames in this movie.

ARM likes this.
  6. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Fucking lawyers. That's just dumb.

ARM likes this.
  7. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw it on my tv last night, it was good but not great.

Drungle and Frank like this.
  8. bossofbam

bossofbam Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hated Wanda's whining and flapping her hands around everyone's head. I would have given it an A if they had eliminated that 30 minutes in the middle where everyone was having visions and crying. I'll give it a B as it is.

Vision was great, Ultron's personality was a little too goofy at times and the Pietro thing had me scratching my head.

TallTyrion, Morrisb and ARM like this.
  9. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All those Ultrons sucked. The comic book Ultrons were tough cookies.

As Kool said, good but not great.

TallTyrion and ARM like this.
  10. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    How nice for people wanting to see the movie with your wife on her phone

11. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The middle wasn't exactly spectacular. I didn't exactly feel Ultron 100% or the Hulk-Widow love story but OVERALL it had more action and faster storytelling. :grad:

Avengers 6/10
    Age Of Ultron 8/10

Tr000otgr, ARM and GLguygardner like this.
  12. A. Genius

A. Genius Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Sounds too busy. Superhero teams are hard enough to fit into multi-year comic book story arcs, so these long-ass movies leave me ultimately unsatisfied. But I still enjoy them. Hard to believe that whedon can't craft a tighter film. Hell, there's subtext in the friggin COMIC books. And those are written for kids. I should think that the mostly adult audience could handle some subtlety. Hate being bashed over the head for 2-1/2 hours. I want to see spidey interacting with the different marvel characters for a portion of his movies, but I realize it's a legal problem at this point. Weird CB story where ringleader hypnotizes spidey with this visual trick to fight daredevil, but daredevil can tell spidey is hypnotized. Just fun. Lots of good classic tales to put on screen that aren't just an orgasm of sfx. End rant.

13. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Thing is, I don't remember him being called his name in X-Men either.

14. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Nah, Rant-Man, you should Google News some archival material. Marvel cut a deal with Sony, soon he'll be part of the candy-color cheesefest like all the others.

But as someone who adores Spidey over general Marvel, I'm pretty apprehensive as to what this could entail for his future solo films. But nobody gives a fuck but me, bring on the team-ups!!!! z0mg multiple superheroes at once!!!?!?!?!?!!! *supergasm*

TallTyrion, ARM and GLguygardner like this.
  15. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    saw it last night, liked it better than i had steeled myself for. the middle did get sloppy but my biggest thing (since this is spoiler ok) is did i miss something or was there a whole lot of something missing when Thor went into that puddle of spooky water and the next time you saw him he knew all about infinity stones and was giving the Vision a jump start? my wife is PISSED when she found out what happens in Civil Wars though.

TallTyrion, ARM and GLguygardner like this.
  16. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    saw it. way too long a film....made the Hulk into a tard...Dialog was annoying.. action scenes were good.

Mr Fantastic likes this.
  17. GLguygardner

GLguygardner WE DA BEST!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    My turn.

Loved the movie. I think Whedon is using Wanda perfectly. She looked facking hot at the end of the movie. Probably setting her up for the "Disassembled" storyline down the road.

Hawkeye got a family???? You know they're gonna get killed off somehow and bring Clint back to the team.

Marvel/Disney should triple RDJ's salary.

Vision stole the movie like The Hulk did in the first one. The movie theater I went to was all like OH SHIT when he picked up Thor's hammer.

Who are the "other twins"???

The Avenger "B" team is basically "Cap's Kooky Quartet" from the comics. Loved that. Whedon is doing a mash-up of Avengers storylines.

Everybody in the theater stayed thru the end credits after Thanks and we got nothing. I was hoping for Spider-Man:down:

18. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    im guessing they are going to use that bio-engineering chick somehow in Civil Wars to build the clone Thor maybe? all these characters being thrown at you in this movie is great for marvel geeks, but got a bit "whos that - what was that - i think that meant something" for those of use with less background. there was a hell of a lot of setting up going on in this movie that will look great in 2019 but was a bit frantic today

19. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    I think I go with DOFP Quicksilver. But they were both cool.

20. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Wasn't thrilled with the moving mouth and more human personality they gave Ultron. When I was a kid I thought the purely robotic, never moving face made it scarier. And it had teeth for Chist sake!

TallTyrion, Drungle and ARM like this.