ACLU: police tracking license plates

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Law enforcement across the country records the plates of thousands of drivers a day. Departments keep the records for weeks or years, sometimes indefinitely, saying they can be crucial in tracking suspicious cars, aiding drug busts, finding abducted children and more.

A rapidly growing network of police cameras is capturing, storing and sharing data on license plates, making it possible to stitch together people’s movements whether they are stuck in a commute, making tracks to the beach or up to no good.
    For the first time, the number of license tag captures has reached the millions, according to a study published Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union based on information from hundreds of law enforcement agencies. Departments keep the records for weeks or years, sometimes indefinitely, saying they can be crucial in tracking suspicious cars, aiding drug busts, finding abducted children and more.
    Attached to police cars, bridges or buildings — and sometimes merely as an app on a police officer’s smartphone — scanners capture images of passing or parked vehicles and pinpoint their locations, uploading that information into police databases.

2. face palm

face palm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    eat a bowl of dicks :jj:

3. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    private investigators, tow truck companies, and repo men have been doing this for years too

4. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Thank God Obama got elected and ended the patriot act and repealed all the executive orders on spying on Americans.

5. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    he's a real Promise Keeper, that one :salute:

6. dawg

Reputations:
    Face it, there is no more police work done, computers and cameras do it for them. They can now put a monkey in a cop car and get the same results.

They know if you go to the doctor or if you are having an affair. Blatant intrusion of privacy in my book. The Police State is now complete.

7. dawg

Reputations:
  8. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    "Sky-Cop" can scan the little bar code on the bottom of your tag and find out anything from having current insurance to outstanding warrants in an instant......I know that the Memphis/Shelby County law enforcement have had this system for a decade.......

9. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    fuck a pig state

10. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    People are pretty sure Lawsy isn't who she says she is. They think it's a Kanye mult.

11. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've already made it known on this board that Im a police officer.. my dept has these plate readers.. have had them for about 5 years... we were one of the first.. in fact, they used to mount them on the hoods until we lost a set at 90 mph one night..

anyway, the good.

It scans public plates on public roads and tells you if the car is uninsured or not registered.. No one wants to get hit by some jerk and find out there is no insurance.

It can alert the police to a known wanted felon, escaped con etc.. Lets say we know a terrorist is enroute to a city with a trunk load of bombs... the plate reader on the interstate can scan thousands of plates an hour... much more accurate than a human. these things are at every toll booth in the country.

However, the plate reader also STORES information, not only on the plate, but WHERE THE VEHICLE WAS AT THE TIME...

Now, this can be good.. .we had a shooting, the witness got the plate.. the plate was run and the police went to the registered owner's home. He was not there... They went to the plate reader, and found that the car had been scanned on numerous locations at a certain address... they went to that address, and found the guy at his babymamma's house and arrested him, with his gun.

Its important to know that the plate reader had captured the car previously while it was parked in a driveway, and stored the info.

To me, while it worked out in this case, its pretty scary. Wait til a divorce lawyer subpeonas records to find your car was at your mistress' home. Etc....

IMHO, the information will likely require a warrant to obtain in the future, absent exigent circumstances... that seems a good compromise..

12. face palm

Reputations:
    johnny 5 is alive :yay:

13. AlPachinosBaby

AlPachinosBaby Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would like to take this time to say hi to the computer dude that the NSA hired to track me. His name is Phil. (Actually Mr. APB and I don't know what his name is but we agreed on this one.):hat:

14. face palm

Reputations:
    aint reading all that shit faggot

15. dawg

Reputations:
    Thank you for explaining this way. I know you are a good man and a good cop. I'm not worried about you. I'm worried about the corrupt evil cops. How can you guys "Cops" make the public feel better about what you are up to?

16. jaw_belize

jaw_belize Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Don't care

I'm not doing anything wrong :coffee:

17. CaptainFrank

Reputations:
    Well, you will never explain it to the type of guy who writes, " i aint reading all that shit faggot". (and as a straight ally that offends me on so many levels -- LOL)

If you want good cops, pay a good salary, then you can be selective and hire people who have other options.. you can weed out the losers and the powertrippers... Honestly, I know 250 cops.. there are probably 3 that I think are real a-holes.. Most guys just want an easy shift and no drama.

18. dawg

Reputations:
    I dont mind if the cops scan my plate to make sure I have insurance. I have been hit by an uninsured asshole and had to eat the bill so I get that. However, why do the cops need to know if I'm boning some girl or if I have been to the doctor?

19. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

Wait till your information is sold and you pay more for healthcare cause your car is spotted at McDonalds twice a week or something else like that.

20. dawg

Reputations:
    You sound like a moron. I dont consider you an American.