News Actress Explains Why She Left Scientology (Jason Lee's ex)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Alisonsbankacct, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Another Ex-Scientologist Writes A Scathing Essay About Why She Left The Church
    "Scientologists have no boundaries and their cruelties exclude no one."
    [​IMG]
    Actress Carmen Llywelyn spent eight years immersed in the Church of Scientology. Since leaving, she penned an essay for Gawker entitled "Why I Left Scientology," that details her troubling history with the religion.

"The reality of Scientology is deceptively hidden and cleverly disguised. When I look at Scientology today, I have to forgive myself for not seeing through the manipulation sooner," she writes. "It hasn't been easy, but I've realized that the religion is built on a foundation of violence."

Carmen's ex-husband, actor Jason Lee (My Name is Earl, anyone?) introduced her to the church.

When Carmen, 41, first set foot in the church's Celebrity Centre, at the age of 20, she describes getting a "horrible feeling," but she pursued the religion to save her marriage.

"When I think back, I believe a part of me knew if I didn't accept Scientology the marriage would be over before it even started. Regardless of how different I feel about Jason and Scientology today, I was very much in love with the guy and wanted our marriage to work. I did what I thought was right. But I made the mistake of immersing myself completely in his world. I did what so many other people who join Scientology do: I lost all sense of individual identity in the name of the cult."

"As we kept going, it occurred to me how unreal and expensive Scientology was going to be," she said, adding that she realized that membership would cost her upwards of $50,000. "To me, Scientology seemed more of a surreal lifestyle for the privileged than a kind of belief system."

However, she wouldn't dare express her feelings.

"You'd never think that speaking your mind could get you in that much trouble, but if you knew what the average Scientologist's perspective was on friendships you'd understand," she writes. "In Scientology, your friend can become your worst enemy overnight."

In her essay, she describes the awful sensation when her closest confidantes (including actress Jenna Elfman) turned on her after she was deemed a "Suppressive Person," or "the worst thing you can be in Scientology.

Even her former husband sent her a "disconnection letter."

Carmen goes onto claim that "Scientology has a sophisticated intelligence agency known as the Office of Special Affairs, which is essentially a complex system dedicated to ruining the lives of those it sees as enemies in any way possible."

She says that members of the Church "skirt the law and use methods like electronic surveillance and cell phones to monitor a person's every word and every move." It's not the first time we've heard this allegation. Tom Cruise purportedly bugged Nicole Kidman's phone while they were married and it's been said that he did the same to Katie Holmes.

When she finally left, Carmen said her world basically shattered. "Nothing that I knew was ever the same. I lost every friend and source of love I knew besides my family in Georgia, 3,000 miles away. I was completely on my own and not one of them cared. What I didn't expect to happen was that Gay [a Scientologist] would get my agent at United Talent Agency to drop me. Or at least that's what she told me in her disconnection letter I received. So I had no way of even getting work. I was supposed to start over."

Carmen, who now lives in Atlanta with her partner and twins, says that she is speaking out now to help "other survivors who have suffered through the experiences of predatory cults," adding, "Scientologists have no boundaries and their cruelties exclude no one."

You can read the full essay here.

The Church of Scientology has not yet responded to our request for comment.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Nice, stash, Scarlett Ohara and 7 others like this.
  2. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

tired, Nice, smichal and 7 others like this.
  4. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Jason Lee always struck me as an off the chain unfunny wierdo.

tired, funkface, Shortwave98 and 3 others like this.
  5. Just Me

Just Me VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I detest when it's called a religion and a church. Such liars. There is no church. Church is where people gather together and sit and listen to someone talk about that particular God. Scientology doesn't have that. There's little to no mention of God by L Ron. It's also not a religion. It's just a cult.
    Good for her for getting out and away from her weirdo husband.

DuckDong, tired, Nice and 10 others like this.
  6. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    When will Leah remini address this??

stanggirl and RONNIE THE CLAW like this.
  7. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  8. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Looks like an insufferable nag...

[​IMG]

9. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I miss respecting Jason Lee. Loved all his Kev Smith projects, even went to see Mumford just for his part.

lost all respect once I learned he was a Scientologist.

Kilroy, tomg, Skippy and 5 others like this.
  10. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, but for much the same reason, it makes me want to bang Juliette Lewis even more. I always thought she came off as a hot, kind of crazy chick, but finding out that she is a Scientologist has convinced me that she is completely fucking nuts. I want to hit it, then quickly get as far away from it as I can!

jcounce1, RoachCoachJokes and cwok like this.
  11. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Same here.

cwok likes this.
  12. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Tax fucking exempt. What s world we live in when you can bully your way into not paying millions and millions in taxes disgusting

No Mercy, Nice, ravenrules and 5 others like this.
  13. Chicken Soda

Chicken Soda Unknown Member

Reputations:
    All totalitarian ideologies who attempt to crush individualism should be shunned.

DuckDong, Nice, smichal and 2 others like this.
  14. fredrogers

fredrogers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    While I can't stand Gawker, I read her story this afternoon. It was pretty on point with what every single other ex-scientologist has said about that fucked up cult. I haven't seen the movie, but read the book Going Clear. It's pretty riveting stuff. Anyone that wants to waste a good chunk of time should visit www.xenu.net

15. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Fun fact, this is Carmen Llywelyn in Mallrats from 95' (was Lee's GF at the time) ...hilarity ensues..
    [​IMG]

16. Chicken Soda

Reputations:
    Uh oh..

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/scientologists-mike-rinder-tony-ortega-hacked/

Scientology Hacking Scandal! Two Leading Church Critics Were Hacking Victims, Dept. Of Justice Reveals — FBI Investigation Next?

Two leading Scientology critics are calling upon the FBI and U.S. Attorneys office to investigate the church today after they were notified by the Department of Justice that they have been the victims of a hacker.

Eric Saldarriaga, a private investigator from Queens, NY, pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy in March for hiring a hacker to help him access at least 60 private email accounts, including those of Scientology critics Mike Rinder (a former leader of the church) and journalist Tony Ortega. Saldarriaga will be sentenced to up to six months in prison tomorrow, June 26, and ahead of the sentencing Rinder and Ortega were notified that they were two of his victims.

The two men prepared victims’ statements for the court to consider, and both alleged that Saldarriaga was nothing more than a Scientology fall guy.

“In November, 2013, I caught Saldarriaga ‘spoofing’ one of the email addresses associated with this website,” Ortega wrote on tonyortega.org Thursday. “…Saldarriaga had made it look like emails from him were actually coming from me … I immediately notified my attorney.”

Ortega’s attorney looked into the matter, but Saldarriaga’s attorney insisted “that Saldarriaga was not working for Scientology,” Ortega wrote.

However, once Rinder revealed he too had been targeted, the men said they felt the connection was too obvious to ignore.

“There can be no doubt that one of Mr. Saldarriaga’s clients is Scientology,” Rinder wrote in his victim statement. “… The ONLY thing Tony Ortega and I have in common is that we are at the top of Scientology’s enemies list because we have publicly exposed their abusive practices.”

“The crime perpetrated against me is consistent with a pattern of actions carried out against me as a whistleblower and outspoken critic of the Church of Scientology,” he wrote. “I am of no investigative interest to anyone other than Scientology.”

“Scientology has a well-documented policy of harassing and intimidating anyone who criticizes it,” he claims. “… I know this all too well, because as the head of Scientology’s Office of Special Affairs, I was responsible for enforcing this written policy.”

Calling it a “pattern of behavior Scientology has gotten away with for far too long,” Rinder urged the U.S. Attorneys Office to launch an investigation.

Now, Ortega too is urging “the court to investigate and prosecute Saldarriaga’s client. Such an investigation would be carried out by the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” he noted.

The Church of Scientology did not immediately reply to Radar’s request for comment.

17. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Funny, I think Jason Lee's second wife also bolted from Scientology after dumping Lee. She was the smoking hot chick on the TV show Leverage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheWonk, smichal, cwok and 5 others like this.
  18. playitagainfred

Reputations:
  19. Chicken Soda

Reputations:
    I loved Parker in Leverage. They need to make a damn movie already.

I was thinking recently of making a thread dedicated to her. :wub:

[​IMG]

smichal and cg256 like this.
  20. playitagainfred

Reputations:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/06/25/mi...cking-was-working-for-scientology/#more-23624

Chicken Soda likes this.