Adam Carolla podcasts

Discussion in 'Other Shows' started by !!!kaboom!!!, Nov 26, 2015.

1. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I do a lot of driving and while Adam Carolla seems like he must be an asshole in real life, I do like his regular podcast and the one with Dr. Drew.

Adam needs to shut up more, but he does have a ton of ideas, and can come up with decent jokes on the fly.

Also, he doesn't buy into the whole Hollywood establishment thing and appears to be sulf-sustaining financially. I don't buy any of his merch, but others seem to.

2. Big_J

Big_J Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I know this has been said a million times before but the best shit adam did was loveline. Before he had his "pirate ship" and endless shilling and reads for products he actually put out better content. His desire to not have anyone dictating what he did or said actually hurt him a lot... his rants and comments are always "Family and Education.. Gavin newsome... grit... everyone's a narcissistic asshole, im so fucking miserable and i'm never home god my life is horrible, I'm going to teach you about life by making this fucking analogy with a car"

!!!kaboom!!! likes this.
  3. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I listened to the podcast forever, but FINALLY had to quit cold turkey early this year. The combination of the his firing Alison Rosen - which was just sleezy - and the fallout over the spectacular failure of his spectacular failure of a movie Road Hard and his subsequent nonstop bitching and pandering to his fanbase to prop it up made me truly hate him.

I will on occasion listen to a random episode, but I tire very quickly of the same old stories and bad jokes I've heard a thousand times.

I did like his first book and maintain "In 50 Years We'll All Be Chicks" is a laugh-out-loud work of comedy prose, but everything he's done since has been victim to such diminishing returns - in terms of quality - I seriously wonder who actually wrote it?

"Not Taco Bell Material" was pure shit. I didn't even bother reading his obligatory "Adam Bitches About Politics" or "Adam Exploits His Kids to Sell Another Book" books. That he used his fucking kids to sell a book was another reason to loathe the man.

[​IMG]
    ^Fucking dirtbag

I did enjoy "Ace on the House" though. I liked that Ray is the one guy there unafraid to give Adam shit. Maybe I should try listening to it again. At least Adam actually knows something about home repair. He knows jack shit about comedy.

Tyrus and Big_J like this.
  4. !!!kaboom!!!

Reputations:
    Yeah, I am wondering if I am just not sick of him yet because he's relatively new to me. I was listening to Howard, not this guy. Then, you know what happened to Howard's show, so I had to try something new ... I found this guy in the pod world and his show sounds the most like a radio show.

I think it's easy to get frustrated with him as a human being. He puts out shit products that are ghost-written and hurriedly done. That Newman documentary was sooooo boring. I think Ace has no artistic sense. He also seems to be a genuine asshole to his employees, and to Dr. Drew. Carolla talks all over him, trying to sound smarter than him. Though it is interesting to hear how Drew handles it.

BUT Carolla is doing a show 5 days a week, and he does come up with some snappy word play and improvised humor. Also, the regular segments are good, such as the Rotten Tomatoes Game and visits by Jo Koi, Fitzdog and some of the regulars. Bryan seems to be losing it, and Gina Grad is horrible -- I think they walk on egg shells with Carolla -- but for my needs, the show hits the spot most consistently.

5. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:
    The biggest problem is the repetition of content. You get the same rants over multiple shows, and many of the rants have been visited before. I agree that, overall, Carolla is still delivering a good alternate for the former Stern listener.

6. redial

redial Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is funny, and smart on some issues, but overall I find him a grating egotist. He thinks he's curing cancer or something. And the pirate ship thing, the Alison Rosen thing, his irritating voice, used to listen but can't deal anymore. Saw him on a car auction show on TV and he was buying a vintage Ferrari. Mangria must be doing well. Embarrassing.

MAEROZE likes this.
  7. !!!kaboom!!!

Reputations:
    Now he's selling some penis cream.

I can't fault him for being a businessman, though. Shows how stupid his fans are to support all this crap. But, that said, Howard had a lot of stupid fans buying Squatty Potties or whatever. Just a different business model.

The sales stuff is just about 5% of Carolla's show -- less than if he were on FM with traditional commercials -- so I bear with it.

8. Big_J

Big_J Well-Known Member

Reputations:

it may be but he does 4 lives reads sometimes in a show for those forsaken products. And why the hell do the same companies all advertise via podcasts? I have never bought any of it, it's pure shit.

9. !!!kaboom!!!

Reputations:
    There are certain advertisers that are pay-per-call. That is why he says go to www.website-slash-Adam or whatever.

10. Big_J

Big_J Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Very true, I just hate how he thinks the segue is hamfisted and he always "Hey speaking of <this products main function> <Items name> <What it does> <I've got one, and that way the horrible felons who wire houses won't come in and shit on your 10 million dollar home> COME SEE MY WIFE AND SOME SIDEKICKS THAT ARE WALKING ON EGGSHELLS AROUND MYSELF 5 DAYS A WEEK!

MAEROZE and !!!kaboom!!! like this.
  11. !!!kaboom!!!

Reputations:
    I ignore his crass sales style, but was raised with a lot of people like him, and find him otherwise funny, so forgive it. The news with Fitzdawg sitting in the other day was pretty funny. Reminded me of when Howard used to have comedians sit in on the news.

12. No Head Games

No Head Games Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Right Wing politics and comedy don't mix unless you are goofing on right wing politics. That's the reason Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher are successful and Adam gets on my nerves.

MAEROZE likes this.
  13. !!!kaboom!!!

Reputations:
    Only a left winger would say he is right-wing. He does believe in bootstraps and that most people are lazy and dumb, but he seems fine with the gays, abortion and other social issues. He may be more libertarian in thinking that money given to the government usually is wasted and that most politicians are just talking heads. I'd say he's just independent.

14. J Bone

J Bone New Member

Reputations:
    Carolla is the best and most consistent producer of content out there atm. That said a lot of what folks are saying is correct, he does hit a lot of the same rants on how shitty LA is, how cops write BS tickets and all the other stuff. But the guy is putting out 5 shows a week on the main podcast and a bunch of side podcasts. So to that I can forgive him for repetition. Where he shines though is that when he gets other comedians in with him and they riff off news or random topics great content is made.

Big_J and !!!kaboom!!! like this.
  15. Big_J

Big_J Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i agree but bill burr is as good too