Adam Carolla's in big trouble with the angry, politically correct crowd

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Lucky Pierre, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here is is crime. During an interview with the NY Post to promote his book, he was asked what was the lesson you learned from a sexual harassment seminar, his answer was a joke “Don’t hire chicks.”

Then he went on to explain:

But they make you hire a certain number of chicks, and they’re always the least funny on the writing staff. The reason why you know more funny dudes than funny chicks is that dudes are funnier than chicks. If my daughter has a mediocre sense of humor, I’m just gonna tell her, “Be a staff writer for a sitcom. Because they’ll have to hire you, they can’t really fire you, and you don’t have to produce that much. It’ll be awesome.”

The “are women funny” debate has grown very contentious. You’re not worried about reactions to this?

I don’t care. When you’re picking a basketball team, you’ll take the brother over the guy with the yarmulke. Why? Because you’re playing the odds. When it comes to comedy, of course there’s Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Kathy Griffin — super-funny chicks. But if you’re playing the odds? No.

If Joy Behar or Sherri Shepherd was a dude, they’d be off TV. They’re not funny enough for dudes. What if Roseanne Barr was a dude? Think we’d know who she was? Honestly.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/the_man_man_NS5UgwY5j06KwJp4WY1OJL#ixzz1yzq1dFDP

So... in summary... according to his opinion, there are a lot of funny women, Tiny Fey, Sarah Silverman, etc, however, if you're playing the odds, men are much funnier.

Unfortunately, for Adam, this story has been spun by rest of the media as "Adam Carolla hates women, thinks they are unfunny".​

2. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
  3. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
  4. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    somehow gay victims are dragged into this

Adam Carolla: Women Aren't Funny - but Gay Jokes Are

Good thing Adam Carolla has such a big mouth -- because he seems determined to stuff both of his feet into it these days.
    The former "Man Show" host is taking flak across the internet this week for opining that women are inherently less funny than men -- and Tuesday on "The Talk" he raised a few more hackles by suggesting that jokes about homosexuals are OK because they get a laugh

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/adam-carolla-women-arent-funny-gay-jokes-are-44841

5. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Twitter on Tuesday to share her opinion and wrote:
    [​IMG] Roseanne Barr
    @TheRealRoseanne
    actually, a shout out to all funny male comics whom I love: every other guy comic except Adam Carolla

6. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    That's just Adam being Adam.

7. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I love this angle. When you're talking about large groups of people all you have are generalizations. That's the fucking point. :ufacepalm:

8. Keyless Chuck

Keyless Chuck Barely a VIP

Reputations:
    Lets drink some beers and rape!

9. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    The outrage is pathetic.

He's stating his opinion that, generally speaking, men are funnier than women. Even if you're stupid enough to disagree, at least have the intelligence to realize this is an opinion which he is more than entitled too.

How many male comedians can headline their own movie alone:

- Jim Carrey
    - Seth Rogan
    - Will Ferral
    - Adam Sandler
    - Ben Stiller
    - Kevin James
    - Steve Carell
    - Sasha Baron Cohen
    - Mike Myers
    - Jack Black
    - Eddie Murphy
    - Bill Murray
    - Steven Martin

Close

- Zach Galifinackis
    - Jonah Hill
    - Jason Segal
    - Vince Vaughn
    - Owen Wilson
    - Russell Brand

How many female comedians can headline their own movie alone:

- Cameron Diaz? Maybe
    - Anna Faris? No
    - Kristin Wiig? Maybe
    - Tiny Fey? Maybe
    - Kristin Bell? No.
    - Jennifer Aniston? Not by herself.
    - Whitney Cummings? no.
    - Kathy Griffin? No
    - Sarah Silverman - funny as a standup, no film career

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

10. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Adam Carolla: Female comedy writers 'always the least funny'

The reaction on Twitter was pretty swift, and pretty negative.

Among the ones we can print here, "Girls" creator and star Lena Dunham joked, "Wait, Adam Carolla, is he the one who did the voice of the parrot in Aladdin??? He makes me giggle."

Actor John Ross Bowie, of "The Big Bang Theory" and "Childrens Hospital" tweeted, "Adam Carolla saying women aren't funny is like cancer saying women aren't funny."

Gareth Simpson got over 1,000 retweets by writing, "I disagree with Adam Carolla when he says women aren’t funny, but to be fair he has a lot more experience of not being funny than I do."

Carolla's only tweet on the matter so far has been, "I'm trending above Jerry Sandusky, thanks heroes."

Oddly enough, the comedians mentioned in Carolla's remarks have yet to tweet or comment.

Perhaps their views align with FX and former MTV host Dave Holmes, who tweeted, "Why are we ruining our perfect not caring what Adam Carolla thinks streak?"

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/20/adam-carolla-funny-women/

11. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Thinking big VIP

Reputations:
    :jj:

12. Avery

Reputations:
    Bridesmaids is all you need to watch to prove Adam's point. That pile of :shit: was talked about like it was Caddyshack.

13. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    SIGH. I just go by the French Philosophy.... there isn't that much difference between women and men, but Vive La Différence!!!!! :sun:

14. Avery

Reputations:
    Dave Holmes has an opinion?!?!

What does Jesse Camp think about all this? :jj:

15. Napoleon V2

Napoleon V2 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I find it funny that all of those people act like Adam is obscure yet he has more Twitter followers than all of them combined.

16. Stevie

Stevie Now go...Ohm.

Reputations:
    Mandate. Get it ON!

17. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    LOL, she mad

18. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more. That it was billed as the chick version of The Hangover sickens me. What was funny about that movie? A fat chick shit in a sink. OK, I'll give them that. Thirty seconds of funny. Where was the rest of it? When my wife and I rented it, neither of us could understand why it was even billed as a comedy. 90% of it was depressing.

19. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    In fairness to Roseanne, she had more success in the low parts of her career than Adam has had in his best. I'm a big Carolla fan, but his podcast is void of funny. I listen all the time, but not because I laugh out loud at anything he says. It's an amusing show, but not funny. He was funnier on Loveline. I totally agree that men deliver funny far better than women, but he has no leg to stand on where Roseanne is concerned.

Roseanne pulled off the impossible. A fat, white trash woman (I think she was living in a trailer) somehow managed to become one of television's biggest stars. That show stayed in the top 5 for almost its entire run. I have a hard time just coming up with shows on television that feature a rather unattractive female in the lead role let alone any hits. Even the shows with unattractive male leads have attractive wives.

20. Super Mario

Super Mario Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    agree 100 percent about Roseanne that was a really bad example that he used!!