Adam Sandler will star & produce four movies exclusively on Netflix

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Oct 2, 2014.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    First 'Tiger,' now Sandler - what's next for Netflix?
    By Brian Truitt and Bryan Alexander, USA TODAY 7:43 p.m. EDT October 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    (Photo: Universal)

3 COMMENTEMAIL
    Martial-arts epic one day, Adam Sandler the next. Only Netflix knows what other moves await in its new march on Hollywood.

The subscription streaming service said Thursday that Adam Sandler will star in and produce four movies with his Happy Madison Productions company to air exclusively on Netflix. The deal comes on the heels of news earlier in the week that Weinstein Co. and Netflix are teaming for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend, a sequel to 2000's Oscar-winning foreign-language martial arts film. It will be released in August 2015 at IMAX theaters and simultaneously to Netflix's 50 million subscribers. Netflix stock was up 2.55% Thursday to $449.98.

"These are big stories. Down the road, people will see these as the benchmarks," says Jeff Bock, senior box-office analyst for Exhibitor Relations. "This is change, man, it's happening right now."

We knew some of the best TV was heading to streaming services like Netflix, but movies? Now that Adam Sandler has inked a four-picture, straight-to-Netflix film deal with the service (he'll produce and star), it's time to take a look at the all the biggest celebs getting experimental - and going digital - today. (Photo: Jason LaVeris, FilmMagic)
    Sandler was a pioneer of sorts in the digital space with the web cartoon The Peeper released in 1999 during the nascent years of the Internet. And if he has carte blanche with Netflix, he may do sequels to some of his most beloved comedies from the '90s such as Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore.

More recently, Sandler movies have been lambasted critically — this year's Blended flopped and had a horrendous 13% "fresh" rating on the review-aggregate website RottenTomatoes.com. But with $100 million-plus hits like The Grownups and its sequels, Sandler still has some Hollywood cachet.

[​IMG]
    USATODAY

With 'Tiger' sequel, Netflix moves to stream new films

"It's not like it's Rob Schneider," Bock says, adding that the Netflix move is big enough to make other celebrities think, "Wow, if Sandler's doing this, maybe I'll look into it."

"This goes back to the old studio system when studios owned stars. Netflix owns Sandler for the next couple of years. Agents and managers are definitely going to take Netflix calls when they call for their client."

It's an attractive situation for filmmakers, says Rupert Wyatt, director of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. He says it is harder to make narratively driven films at a time when movie theaters are being inundated with the "fireworks displays" of big tent-pole studio films.

His next film, The Gambler, out in December, is the kind of drama not normally made by studios in the modern era, according to the filmmaker. Wyatt's not only pleased that Paramount made the step, but that Netflix presents a new way to bring real dramatic movies to audiences.

"Any opportunity to tell a good story on different platforms is really appealing, of course," says Wyatt, a fan of the long-form dramatic television series championed by HBO and now Netflix. "For me, it's the best creative outlet for my generation of filmmaker."

Ben Mankiewicz, a film historian and TCM movie host, points out that movie history is filled with threats from TV since the 1950s.

"Movies are always going to be an event," he says. "That's always one thing television cannot quite do. Television is not an event. It's something you do at home. The thing you give up with this, is you give up the event nature of this. That's a bit of a loss. We have fewer and fewer events."

However, Mankiewicz feels that the "enormous quality" of prestige television currently produced by HBO and Netflix — and all the best writers around heading to the small and streaming screens — has forced Hollywood's hand. "Netflix is more than capable of creating a serious movie. Maybe it's Adam Sandler comedies. But serious Oscar-bait movies could be produced on Netflix. "

So who's the next big name to join Netflix? They may not because they're so in love with filmmaking and the theatrical experience, yet if directors such as Steven Spielberg or Christopher Nolan decided to throw their name into the streaming landscape, "that would be the game-changer that turns everybody's head," says Bock.

"But Sandler's still a big enough star to get people to talk and continuing to talk. Crouching Tiger was the tip of the iceberg. Netflix is being very aggressive right now. To drop these bombs in the same week is big news, and obviously it's not all that they have in their cannon either."

2. RoachCoachJokes

RoachCoachJokes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can't wait to not watch them.

3. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Uggghhh....Just when I thought Netflix had a shred of integrity they go and bring in this heinous Heeb huckster. I guess "Orange is the New Hack"????? :oy2: :suicide:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Wigless, Dorb, Sickboy and 3 others like this.
  4. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I hear ya. Sander is almost as big of a one trick pony as M Night Shamalam

Wigless, GIRLY, ARM and 1 other person like this.
  5. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    mama says netflix is the devil:satanfire:

6. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have made it 1/2 way through exactly ONE Adam Sandler movie. It was Waterboy or something.

Not a fan.

Wigless and wigtropolis like this.
  7. boognishstern

Reputations:
  8. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    I love when these companies say exclusively. :jj:

boognishstern likes this.
  9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Sandler's negative reviews over at Red Letter Media are funnier than his movies.

ARM and alittlebitcunty like this.
  10. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I like maybe two movies from Sandler, the rest suck.

Wigless, GIRLY, Dump Button and 3 others like this.
  11. boognishstern

Reputations:
    exactly, no way it's an "exclusive" netflix thing. I'm thinking it'll be like the hdnet "watch it before its in theaters" thing & the movies will be sandler pet projects that are then released to theaters a week after the premier. who knows. I don't care. :hehe:

DrivenByDemons likes this.
  12. knu3421

Reputations:
    I liked happy gilmore and billy madison

ARM likes this.
  13. Patron

Patron Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Happy Gilmore and Waterboy?

14. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Pretty much. :jj:

15. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    You watched the wrong one. I don't think I made it through half of that one. Happy Gilmore was probably my favorite. That one with Jennifer Aniston was on cable and my wife and I watched it and were surprised that we kind of liked it. Don't Mess with Zohan had me laughing. Try Happy Gilmore and Zohan. They're not high brow by any means, but they'll give you a few chuckles.

DrivenByDemons likes this.
  16. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hope we get a taste of the serious sandler. That is more funny than the other one

17. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Damn you guys are going to make me like more than two lol

Lets see, here are the movies i liked from Sandler, in no particular order.
    Rein Over Me - This movie really fucks you up with emotions, very dark and disturbing. I thought he was good in it.
    Click :jj:
    Spanglish :jj:
    Anger Management
    Mr. Deeds
    The Waterboy
    Billy Madison

I guess i misspoke earlier :jj:

But he really has a lot of bad movies also.

18. fag

fag Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Not known much about these movies but they will suck

19. boognishstern

Reputations:
    really, Zohan?...man I couldn't even get through the first half of that one. I did watch that one with him & andy samburg, shitty but at least it was r rated.

20. knu3421

Reputations:
    Anybody see his last movie blended?