Advice - Hit and Run

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by rabbigottfried, Oct 15, 2015.

1. rabbigottfried

rabbigottfried Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My car was hit in the parking lot a couple of hours ago.

The person who hit my car dropped me his name and number . I talked to this person. He say's he is ready to pay for the vehicle damage and will be happy if I do not take the insurance route. ( I have texts from him , confirming the same).

it is a small dent , on the back of the vehicle. Should I call my insurance and let them know ( Just in case )
    )? or should I take the car directly to the repair center and give him the estimate ?

2. GloriaGrace

GloriaGrace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hopefully you got a police report to protect yourself.

3. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    Take his money. Don't fix your car. Live with the dent.
    Invest the money in Webistics. It's a sure thing.

Gusbuss, stash, bossofbam and 2 others like this.
  4. GloriaGrace

GloriaGrace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So he hit your car and now he wants you to do a favor for him? I think you should turn it in to the insurance company to make sure you don't get shafted in any way. Cover your butt.

rabbigottfried, OV and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  5. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:
    I'm surprised he left a number and name. Around my area, no one leaves a name and number because they were probably wasted.

Dick Nose and ZevonFan like this.
  6. bossofbam

bossofbam Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A few years ago my 2001 accord was sideswiped by a truck. The dent wasn't that bad and the guy wanted to leave the insurance companies out of it. To be safe I took his insurance information but ended up just taking his money (Got an estimate for about $1,400). I knew I was only going to have that car for another year or so and pocketed the money. Worked out well for me.

Gusbuss and Bristol Chicken like this.
  7. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think it's a bad thing. Insurance companies can jack your rates even if you get in a small fender bender so I understand his point. As long as he's willing to foot the whole bill for the repair, not sure there's a problem.

bdbx18 and Gusbuss like this.
  8. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Bristol Chicken likes this.
  9. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    Sopranos Season 2 is hard to beat. Couldn't wait for Sunday nights to roll around.

Scarlett Ohara, Caffeinated and stash like this.
  10. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    accountability is everything :grad:

11. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Report it to your insurance company and have them deal with him and his insurer. It was nice that he was stand up and did the right thing, so it's natural you want to help him out. However, don't forget he hit an innocent vehicle, sitting there, minding its own business. It's gonna be a hassle for you to get it fixed and might need a rental for a day or two which your policy probably provides. Also you'd be surprised how much some "small dents" cost to repair. And as someone else mentioned, he probably will be also. If he is stalling or has buyer's remorse, you've wasted time and now your insurance company is asking why you dicked around on this. Aside from being a nice guy, there's really no upside for you to work with him instead of reporting it to your insurance company. Your rates won't increase on a no fault accident like this.. .. I know, mine didn't.

rabbigottfried and stash like this.
  12. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    assume he'll regret giving you his info..
    cut him a break cause he did though..
    get an estimate, text him the amount...
    any complaint or delay in paying call your insurance..
    did you get his name, DL number, plate #, insurance company name?
    print out his admissions of guilt for proof..
    your type of insurance also factors in, for example I only have liability,
    I had to meet with the person who hit me insurance adjuster..
    they made an offer, I took the check,,,beat having to take a year suing.
    I would not be surprised if you are blocked next time you call.

13. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hell yeah! There will be no skin off your nose. Take it to place of your choice, get an estimate and present him with it. Give me a day or two, if he balks at the cost (or thinks you took your Yugo to a Bentley body shop), then you can fallback on your insurance. With insurance, you may have to pay your deductible first if his info don't check out. Don't forget to incude the cost of a rental car.

I've done that a few times. Ins. cos don't like ppl who gets into a lot of accidents no matter whose fault it is. Heck, I have been bumped from behind several times. First time, it was a pretty nice car so the gorgeous pediatrician coughed up $1.5k for a slightly misaligned bumper. The 2nd and 3rd time, the bumper on my daily beater was so slight, I just let them go with a handshake.

14. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I forgot about a rental..tack on a hundred a day for that. Not to mention the time and gas wasted getting estimates and a rental.. screw it, ask for double

15. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Friend of mine was sitting at a red light waiting to turn - guy coming around the corner (in snow) lost traction and bumped into the rear quarter of my friend's car. Relatively low speed, didn't look like too much damage - bumper scratched/gouged down into the plastic, tail light cracked, dent in quarter panel. The guy wanted to leave insurance out of it - so friend said OK.

Gets an estimate for the repair - something like $2,500 (new bumper, new tail light, fix quarter panel, paint new bumper, labor). The guy gets pissed and said there's no way it was more than $200-300 worth of damage. Friend files against his own insurance, then the guy claimed HE was the one that was sitting still and friend turned the corner too tight and hit his car. They ended up saying it was a 50/50 accident and friends rates went up and had to pay the deductible.

As much as you want to be nice, there is NOTHING AT ALL in it for you in keeping it out of insurance, and there is HUGE risk for you. It's highly likely the guy has no idea how much it will cost to repair. It's nice that he admitted the accident and gave you his info instead of doing a hit-and-run, in the same way it's nice of someone to stop when they run you over as you are crossing the street. He had a legal obligation to provide his info.

The guy will probably be sketched out if you ask him to admit in writing it was 100% his fault, etc, etc... and rightfully so... but at most, I would get an estimate the next business day and tell him if he can pay you within 24 hours in cash you will accept, otherwise go insurance.