News Affluenza Shithead Sentenced To Jail, Laywers Can Still Contest Sentence

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Apr 13, 2016.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    "Affluenza" teen Ethan Couch may be jailed for nearly 2 years
    Last Updated Apr 13, 2016 1:04 PM EDT

FORT WORTH, Texas --ATexas teenager who used an "affluenza" defense in a fatal drunken-driving wreck was ordered Wednesday to serve 720 days in a county jail.

Ethan Couch appeared in adult court for the first time Monday, when a judge announced he is ordering the 19-year-old to serve four 180 day terms consecutively, one term for each of the four people who died in a 2013 drunken driving wreck involving the teen.

[​IMG]
    Tarrant County Criminal Court Judge Wayne Salvant, on April 13, 2016.

CBS DFW
    Judge Wayne Salvant gave Couch's attorneys two weeks to prepare arguments related to the sentences.

"Nothing I do is set in stone," Salvant said, adding that he might reconsider the order.

His defense said in court Wednesday that the terms of Couch's original juvenile court conviction meant he should have expected between 120 and 180 days in jail.

The judge also set several conditions for Couch's probation when he does leave jail. Couch will not be allowed to drink, use drugs or drive, and he will be required to meet regularly with a community supervision officer.

Salvant also ordered that Couch's juvenile court records be sealed. He can order Couch to serve between 120 and 180 days in jail.

In June 2013, at age 16, Ethan Couch was driving drunk and speeding when he crashed into a disabled SUV on the side of the road, killing four people and injuring nine others. Many of the victims had been helping the woman whose SUV had stalled, others were in Ethan Couch's pickup truck. The 16-year-old's blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit for an adult and there were traces of Valium in his system.

Couch pleaded guilty to four counts of intoxication manslaughter and two counts of intoxication assault causing serious bodily injury. When a juvenile court judge sentenced him to 10 years probation, there was widespread outrage in Tarrant County.

During the sentencing phase of his trial, Couch's attorneys relied on a defense expert who argued that Couch's wealthy parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility - a condition the expert termed "affluenza." The condition is not recognized as a medical diagnosis by the American Psychiatric Association, and its invocation drew widespread ridicule.

[​IMG]
    Tonya Couch is taken by authorities to a waiting car after arriving at Los Angeles International Airport Dec. 31, 2015, in Los Angeles.

AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
    Authorities say Couch and his mother, Tonya, fled the U.S. in December, as Texas prosecutors investigated whether a video showing the teen at a party where alcohol was present meant he violated his probation.

Ethan Couch was extradited back to the U.S. on Jan. 28. He has spent most of his days since then in solitary confinement at Tarrant County maximum-security prison. Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson has said Ethan Couch was isolated from other inmates for his own protection.

His case was formally transferred from juvenile court to the adult legal system on April 11, his 19th birthday.

Salvant could make prison a condition of any future probation violation. In such a case, Couch could face up to 40 years behind bars -- 10 years for each person who died in the 2013 wreck.

Tonya Couch is on house arrest at her other son's home after she was charged with helping Ethan Couch flee. The 48-year-old faces between two and 10 years in prison if convicted of hindering the apprehension of a felon.

2. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Such a ridiculous fucking defense to begin with . He's never had to face consequences and is too rich to know right from wrong so what better way to remedy this then to let him get away with murder. Huh?

3. hidden dragon

hidden dragon the princess of darkness Staff Member

Reputations:
    I hope both get beaten often in jail.

4. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This family is human garbage.

I hope the judge throws the Yoda book at them.

5. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    First the 10 year probation. Now mom gets house arrest for helping a felon flee. So much for Texas' rep as tough on crime. I wonder what all this (the hearings, investigations, and chasing him) has cost the taxpayers, not to mention the devastation to his victims.

6. The Finklestein Kid

The Finklestein Kid Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What's more ridiculous is that some judge actually bought that bullshit.

JameGumb, Droog and BethSucks like this.
  7. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    let's hurry and get this kid gang raped

8. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    I have a feeling that he and his mother have a "special" relationship.

rabbigottfried, reno, Petal and 2 others like this.
  9. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So, he got 180 days each for violating his probation on the 4 manslaughter counts?

I hope he has to serve his time in General Population so that he gets a good feel for what prison is really like.

None of this protective custody bullshit.

10. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    He's being kept in solitary for his protection, costing the state even more, fuck this guy, throw him in with everyone else that has zero regard for human life

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Yeah, I always think about the prison rapes as being part of the punishment for twerps like this.

12. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Seems like a small price to pay for killing four people, getting off easy, violating probation, then fleeing arrest by leaving the country.

13. knuckle_hedd

knuckle_hedd loving life!

Reputations:
    2 years is a joke...the little fucker killed 4 people...if it was me i would probably never get out..

14. John Mahlin

John Mahlin These go to eleven Gold

Reputations:
    I didn't know Carrot Top was a mom.

15. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Miss America likes this.
  16. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the mom looks like the don swayze version of carrot top. Similar to the original, but slightly off in a retarded kind of way. I guess I should have refreshed the page.

17. hidden dragon

hidden dragon the princess of darkness Staff Member

Reputations:
    what he deserves is to be lying on the ground crying and bleeding after a good beating. show him that he's not special.

BethSucks and Rockside7 like this.
  18. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I wonder if the four families of the victims have a wrongful death suit going. The kid and his mom should be poor when they get out of jail. Hit them where it hurts.

19. Miss America

Miss America Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What an insult to Carrot Top. He is much hotter. Mom is guilty, Carrot Top, Not Guilty.

20. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    2 years is bullshit. Watch him get out early too. And solitary? :facepalm: