Stern Show AGT Disaster: Ratings Plummet without Howard

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Vidiot, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Alright, that's not exactly what's happening, but the ratings have gone down with Simon Cowell. Guaranteed, Howard will spin this next week like it's a total dive off the cliff...

‘America’s Got Talent’ Ratings Down,
    ‘Bachelorette’ & ‘Person Of Interest’ Even

One week after its Season 11 debut and the return of Simon Cowell to Big 4 primetime, America’s Got Talent (2.2/8) was still tops on TV, but not without a tumble and The Bachelorette (2.0/7) as competition.

While the top-rated and, with 10.65 million tuning in, most-watched show of Tuesday night, AGT fell 15% among adults 18-49 from its May 31 opener – which was tied for a premiere low for the competition show. Last night’s AGT also dipped 8% in the key demo from the second show of its 10th season on June 2 last year — though it could make that up in adjustments later today. Last night, lead-out variety show Maya & Marty (1.2/4) was also down three tenths from its debut last week. Still, NBC won the night with a 1.9/7 rating and 8.73 million viewers.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/simon-c...rette-even-person-of-interest-nbc-1201769188/

I honestly believe the show is going down because the concept is tired and viewers don't give a fuck.

2. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    Bring Howard back. Ratings will go up

Elk37 and wigtropolis like this.
  3. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    Oh that's right..next week.. He only does a show till Wednesday now :jj:

XuXu likes this.
  4. Rahm2015

Rahm2015 Effortlessly Destroying Confirmed Internet Legends Gold

Reputations:
    I believe this slide has been going on for some time now with these types of shows and AGT was just lucky to have avoided a steeper drop because it runs in the summer with less competition.
    However this also shows that Cowell isn't the ratings magnet he was during the AI years. X Factor was a huge dud and now AGT is continuing to slide.

5. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

But you also have to consider how much more money and expense it was to keep Howard on that show.

I mean moving the show from CA to NY cost a small fortune.

Even if the ratings are dipping, I'd bet the farm that they're making MORE money with Howard gone.

6. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    AGT sucks as a format now... same acts every year and anyone with any talent is typically foreign

Enough of it already

7. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the 1st year with howard a dog act won...what a joke

Nick Manning and Flabo like this.
  8. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard left AGT?

Elk37, FishySausage, GCD1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    Basically it's had it's run. These shows aren't expected to draw big numbers forever. Howard coming or going meant sweet fuck all in the end.

ARM likes this.
  10. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    howard was on agt?

11. blackcrystal61

blackcrystal61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    These shows have lost their appeal. Ratings still would've gone down with Howard in the chair. The format is old and stale. Time to hang it up.

IPleadTheFifth likes this.
  12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Thankfully these talent shows are going the way of old variety shows and Westerns.

Nick Manning and Vidiot like this.
  13. IPleadTheFifth

IPleadTheFifth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So do I. It's hard to say if Wiggy has anything to do with this. It's a sinking ship and no one is going to save it. The genre is played out.

14. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Simon isn't a draw. His mistake was leaving American Idol. But I guess he's making a ton of dough in Britain, and he produces AGT, so it's not like he needs judging for anything other than his ego. AGT is long in the tooth. I just looked it up and they're on their 11th season. This Gong Show reboot sucks and audiences have finally figured that out. All the fake surprise and amazement cuts of the judges and the audience gets sickening after a while. Most of the acts you see are invited. Producers scour the country for wacky or decent acts. The grandpa singing "Bodies" wasn't something the grandpa came up with and decided to wait in line to do.

What gets me is that people still watch The Bachelor/Bachelorette shit. What is it about that show that women are glued to? Do they think there's really romance going on there? :dontknow: My favorite line is when the guy they're vying for says to the camera, "I decided to take ______ on a private jet to Tahiti for dinner." All of that shit is producer created. Everything they do is scripted. There is nothing planned by any bachelor or bachelorette.

15. Zendriveseven

Zendriveseven VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if the genre has died out just yet, but apparently there's a serious lack of "talent" out there. Hosts are irrelevant imo, people don't give a shit. The next day no one ever says "Simon was great on AGT last night!" They just want to see the plate spinners and back flipping dogs, but that has already been done 50 years ago. Only real, and new, talent will save this sinking ship, not phony predicable buildups before each act.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep, I would bet that Simon Cowell isn't even making half what Howard did, plus Simon will do all the promotion without complaining, plus they shoot a lot of stuff in LA where all four of them have homes (as do most of the producers and staff). It's a shitload easier and cheaper to shoot it in LA.

Soap operas, too. There used to be like 20 hours a week of soap operas; now there's like two.

Speaking of variety shows: man, I like Martin Short a lot, but that new NBC Maya and Marty Show... ooofa. Biggest steaming goat turd I've seen in a long time. Painful to watch, like the worst episode of Saturday Night Live ever, with sketches that make no sense and songs that make you want to run screaming from the room. This ain't gonna bring variety back to TV.

njguy8 likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've worked on "reality" shows in LA before, and they're very carefully crafted in meetings, with about a hundred hours of editing per show. They aren't exactly putting words in people's mouths, but they will ask the people to repeat what they just said (in real life) in a different way for a specific response. Frequently, they'll shoot 3 hours of material and cut it down to the one minute where that person looked like an asshole, or a saint, or a goofball. There is no reality in reality shows. It's all just TV.

18. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I didn't watch it before Howard, I didn't watch it with Howard and I'm not watching it after Howard. The whole thing sucks.

19. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    America says "Howard Who"?

20. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

And what I've read, and you'd probably know more, these "scripted" reality shows go far beyond the likes of AGT. I've read stories about Duck Dynasty, Pawn Stars, American Picker, Storage Wars,..... I could do this all day.

I understand it's purely for the money and fame, but I still can't understand why someone would subject themselves, moreover their family, to that kind of uncontrollable charactertures of themselves.

Splicing clips together, completely out of context, to make someone the hero and someone the villain. Who the fuck would need that shit in their life.

Then again look at people like the Guidice's on NJ Housewives..... some people really are that clueless.

Vidiot likes this.