AGT Tryouts In Santa Clara

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Feb 10, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Stern cum guzzler Jason Raff gives away that Stern will do the NYC and LA auditions again, if they do any auditions in "flyover" states I assume they will be using a guest "judge".

SANTA CLARA -- It was a veritable conga line of creativity spilling into the hallways and along the escalators of the Santa Clara Convention Center on Saturday morning:

Tiny ballerinas. A guy with headphones twirling a fake rifle over his head. Guitarists galore. Jugglers and jokesters, cheerleaders and crooners -- all hoping for their big break.

Not only does America got talent. America's got talent oozing from every pore.

The truly talented and the talented wannabes had answered what for many would ultimately be a disappointing siren's call from the producers of "America's Got Talent," NBC's lovefest to the nation's aspiring stars and starlets, now entering its 10th year on the air.

But odds of success be damned. It was show time!

"This is an open call to anyone, no matter what age or what level of talent they may have, to come down and show us what they've got,'' said the show's executive producer, Jason Raff, as he waited for the next contestant to enter a private room. There, a small panel of staffers would decide if the performer would go on to the next round in March.

"Sometimes they walk in and they have this charisma; you can actually feel, this star power," Raff said. "And the most amazing thing happens: You get goose bumps watching them perform.''

Not always, of course. But win them over in 90 seconds -- and crazy things can happen.

"Here they are, driving down in the rain and standing before us,'' Raff said, "and in a few weeks they might be in New York or L.A. auditioning in front of Howard Stern. And if they get a yes, they could be performing in Radio City Music Hall in a few months with 11 million people watching you on TV. That's how fast your life can change.''

And that's what they were all hoping for Saturday, after driving in early through the rain to tap dance or strum a ukulele or tell a minute-and-a-half's worth of jokes that might move them to the next rung on the ladder to fame.

"I'm here today because of a leap of faith," said Paula Dulce, a 19-year-old psychology major at St. Mary's College in Moraga. She was holding a shimmering Martin guitar as she waited for Number 350 to be called.

Dulce said she was here for her mom, who died of cancer when Dulce was 12. "My mother pushed me as a kid to sing and to keep practicing, and when she died I stopped singing," she said.

But after a couple of years, Dulce started singing again, this time accompanying herself on the guitar.

Dulce's song on Saturday was "Fallin' For You," by Colbie Caillat. But she wasn't really singing for the producers.

"I decided that if I auditioned I'd be doing it for my mom, as if she were in the audience," she said.

Danny Minch ("like pinch," he said) got up at 4:30 a.m. and drove all the way from Fresno to try to make the producers crack up. A stand-up comedian who at 46 barely makes a living working comedy clubs, as well as "every pizzeria that's got a back room with a stage."

Minch was the first contestant to step into the audition room. "It was two singers, a karate guy, and me," he said.

His opening joke -- a reference to his Discovery Channel doppelganger, bearded host Jamie Hyneman -- went like this: "I bet you're thinking, 'How did the guy from MythBusters get in here?'"

He ended his shtick with a "white guys dancing'' number that included lip-biting, awkward shuffling and "crazy facial motions."

"I felt I did great,'' Minch said as he headed to his car to get to a gig Saturday night in Clovis. "But having 90 seconds is tough. I like being the center of attention for longer than that.''

Contestants who get a thumbs-up at the all-day auditions, which will be repeated in other cities, will be notified in March and then head for the next round of tryouts, this time in front of the celebrity judges. Those shows will be taped and aired starting in May, and the final competition runs in mid-September.

Nick Smith, a singer and 65-year-old restaurant worker, sat by himself in the large exhibition hall, surrounded by a sea of pumped-up performers and others staring into space, probably wondering what the heck they were doing here. The Oakland resident has been singing since he was a teenager, but the last time he auditioned for anything was a quarter-century ago when he got two callbacks for "Beach Blanket Babylon."

"I tried making a career out of singing but that fizzled out and I gave up," he said. "But in the back of my mind all these years, I longed to sing again in front of people."

Then last month, while the whole world was riveted by climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson making their historic ascent up Yosemite's Dawn Wall, something clicked inside Smith's head.

"I read where one of those guys said everyone has an El Capitan inside them, a private dream just waiting to be tackled.

"And that's why I came to audition today,'' Smith said. "'America's Got Talent' is my El Capitan."

So what would he wow the judges with?

" 'What Kind of Fool Am I?' " he replied. "Appropriate, no?''

Contact Patrick May at 408-920-5689 or follow him at Twitter.com/patmaymerc

Thelma likes this.
  2. Petal

Petal A girl in a sea of mults VIP

Reputations:
    So wait... does this mean Wiggy is in LA this week or did I mis-read?

3. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "I only did the fucking show so I could talk about it on the radio, Robin!"

PTRacing likes this.
  4. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

wonder if gunky will take mooose to birks for a portion of beef

5. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It looks like Gunky may attend the auditions in Los Angeles, but the AGT auditions in the last few days were in Santa Clara (Northern CA).

BethSucks likes this.
  6. Petal

Petal A girl in a sea of mults VIP

Reputations:
    Thanks for clarification.

I had thought we solved the mystery of where Wiggy/Beefus were... guess not. :(

7. Blur

Blur Alumnus

Reputations:
    One of my fave places evah.

8. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    -I would be off anyway Robin

9. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think these are the pre-pre-auditions.
    Or something like that.