'American Idol' finally tanking

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Murcielago, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    “American Idol†Hits New Low, Falls to 8.3 Million Viewers

by Roger Friedman - March 21, 2014 11:46 am

[​IMG]

“American Idol†continued its descent into death spiral last night. The show fell to 8.3 million total viewers, with a 1.9 in the key demo. An 8.3 is very startling for “Idol,†which not so long ago had 10 or 11 million. Fox execs said not too long ago that the show was “winding down†and now it’s come to pass. Will Fox cancel it? I think it’s a strong possibility. It’s not the fault of the judges. And Jennifer Lopez performed last night! You’d think she would have brought in a few peeps. But JLO has also reached the “mature†phase of her career. She’s not the draw she used to be. And the 1.9 rating in the key demo? Ouch! That’s another all time low for “Idol,†which had been up around 2.7. It means no young people are watching the show.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howard related because this is the future of his shit show as well. The only question is who he blames the failure on, obviously he will claim the show would have ended years earlier without him.

2. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Never watched an episode of that shit show. :yes:

3. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    "Robin, thing's would be different if they had hired America's Judge, old women in a nursing home don't want to watch Jennifer Lopez, they want someone they can relate to."

[​IMG]

4. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never watched...Karaoke in TV. Fucking awful.

5. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    GOD DAMN IT!!!! I WANTED TO DO THIS!!!!:livid:

6. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Who fucking told him that hoop earrings wouldn't make him look like an old woman?

[​IMG]

7. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Still more viewers than AGT even though Howard wont admit it or mention "his" tv ratings like he would in the old days.

8. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    People are really turned off by Mel B, Heidi and Howie, Robin. NBC told me I brought in 30 million viewers and that those three chased 25 million away.

9. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

When Sharon Osborne said the ratings tanked after she left, Howard said the ratings were better his second year. So he did mention the ratings. Lied through his fake teeth about the ratings, but he did mention them.

10. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What I don't understand about American Idol is why, out of the hundreds of talented people they audition, they always seem to choose the least talented of the bunch to be on the show. The show is called American Idol, yet they don't chose people with star potential. What chance in hell does this person have of winning? You cannot tell me that there weren't better at the auditions. I'm fine with her being gay, but is a girl who dresses like a cross between Dennis the Menace and Bart Simpson going to become big in America? Only thing missing in her look is a slingshot in her back pocket. So she must be a great singer then, right? Guess again. Might be good at Karaoke night at Jimbo's Pub, but that's about it. Ever since that Sanjina kid, they've thrown out this kind of bullshit. My 12-year old loves to sing and watches all these damn shows. Even she is disgusted by how bad everyone is. It's not just this chick, but the whole lot of them. They all look either frumpy or retarded, and their singing doesn't compensate.

[video=youtube;AK_omX8kawo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK_omX8kawo[/video]

11. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    And AGT runs in the summer when nothing else is on. How badly would it tank during the fall/winter schedule?

12. GaryPuppet

Reputations:
    Exactly! No competition whatsoever and he still cant pull the numbers that Piers Morgan did whenon AGT. :facepalm:

13. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As funny as it was to watch Howard blow a shit fit when Ellen pulled rank and effectively shut out him out from the judge spot on american idol he had been clamoring for in hindsight it would have been great if he had gotten on the show.

Howard has had no impact on agt's ratings. If anything they dropped. Hence if Howard was on idol it would be tanking as we speak, and we could witness Stern being blamed for the downfall of what was once the most popular show in the country.

14. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
  15. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:

[video=youtube;rlAPEPvryyE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAPEPvryyE[/video]

16. GaryPuppet

Reputations:
    Best things that ever came out of this show...

[​IMG]

17. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    They did during the first few seasons of the show. They focused on finding talented, versatile singers. Like them or not, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood can each really belt out a tune.

Subsequently, too much focus shifted to:
    a.) The judges and celebrity guest judges
    b.) The funny/goofy/delusional contestants -- always trying create the next "pants on the ground" or William Hung viral clip
    c.) Sob stories -- I was abandoned by my father, and my brother lost both legs in Iraq
    d.) Constant harping on, "I'm not sure what type of artist (niche) you fit" instead of a universal appeal

Another weakness is the music on the show turned stale. The producers were too cheap (despite making tons of $$$) to buy the rights to most modern music. So the audience gets subjected to Endless Love for the 713th time. Also, the backing band is bland and sub-par.

18. GaryPuppet

Reputations:
  19. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    No, this is:

[​IMG]

20. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I agree. It's a summer replacement show. I still can't figure out why they thought they needed Wiggie.
    I don't watch AGT but when Nemo posts a clip and I watch it, I can't figure out who would watch it.
    And I understand it may be a family program that you could watch with your kids and there is not a lot out there for that but still.
    And you are so right about the frumpy lack-luster contestants on AI.