News American manufacturing of a Russian product coming to Florida

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama!:D

Russia’s iconic AK-47 to be made in USA

By Fox News
    January 28, 2016 | 4:57pm
    [​IMG]
    It’s as Russian as borscht, but the AK-47 will soon be made in Florida.
    The weapon of choice for guerrillas, terrorists and the soldiers of armies around the world, some 100 million AK-47s have been made in Russia since it rolled off the line in 1947. But now, the company’s US arm is planning to manufacture the gun at a plant in Pompano Beach, Fla.
    “An iconic firearms platform, revered the world over, with a history of intrigue and controversy, now reborn as the new American Kalashnikov,” the company said in a statement.
    The rifle dreamed up by Russian Army tank commander Mikhail Kalashnikov as he lay on a hospital bed after being wounded fighting the Germans in the 1941 Battle of Bryansk, became the world’s most popular firearm. The signature AK-47 — which stands for “Avtomat Kalashnikov,” or “Kalashnikov’s machine,” and the initial year of production, was long available for import from Moscow until the US imposed sanctions in 2014 in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Crimea.
    Last year, RWC, which was the official importer and distributor of Kalashnikov firearms, was forced to cut ties with the Russian company. But it retained the US rights to the name and initially opened a small assembly facility in Tullytown, Pa. Now, the company is planning a full-fledged manufacturing plant in the Atlantic Coast community just north of Fort Lauderdale.
    “Whether you are a sport shooter, hunter, protecting family, home and country, the new Kalashnikov USA firearms will exceed your expectations of how a firearm should perform,” the company statement read.
    Pompano Beach spokeswoman Sandra King said the company plan had been approved by the city, but did not have details on how many jobs the factory would generate or what its annual output would be. Kalshnikov USA spokeswoman Laura Burgess could not be reached for comment.
    The company launched new rifle and shotgun models last week at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas, the annual conference of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The new firearms include the “Alpha” line of rifles, with 30-round magazines.
    While the company will offer various guns, the AK-47 will likely be a top seller. In the US market, its main competition is the AR-15, but both are reliable weapons, said firearms instructor Steve Norrris, who teaches at the Markham Park Target Range in nearby Sunrise.
    “The AK-47 is just as good, if not better,” he said. “One problem has long been getting parts, which maybe now would not be an issue. A lot of people have always bought AK-47s just for the history.”
    Mikhail Kalashnikov, who died in December 2013 at the age of 94, once said he felt personally untroubled by his contribution to bloodshed.
    “I sleep well. It’s the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence,” he said in 2007.

The Jackie chair, DogStar69 and reno like this.
  2. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The Brown Bess was good enough for King George, it's good enough for me. These multi shot weapons are just a fad.

Dorb likes this.
  3. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    They've been building 100% American made improved versions of the AK-47 in the U.S. for years. I guess this is the first time they will actually call them AK-47's??

Nick Manning, cg256 and reno like this.
  4. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I used to live there, it's mostly city, never saw any manufacturing plants, unless they are in those warehouse type buildings.

ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  5. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    AKs are pretty fun to shoot.

Just sayin'...

Nick Manning and Micheal Kenyon like this.
  6. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    The company's business tax receipt application, approved Aug. 26, shows that Kalashnikov USA will be at 3901 NE 12th Ave, a multitenant industrial center northeast of North Dixie Highway and Sample Road. The company's owner is listed as RWC Group LLC.

Twenty-eight employees are planned initially with 54 ultimately, the company's zoning use certificate states. The company pledged to create 54 jobs averaging $51,266 a year in exchange for $162,000 in Qualified Target Industry incentives from the state, city and Broward County, said David Coddington, vice president of business development at the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, Broward County's public-private partnership for economic development.

The alliance helped the company through its site selection and pre-permitting process, he said.

The company chose Pompano Beach over a competing city in Tennessee in part because of the city's experience with defense contractors such as Point Blank, a body armor manufacturer with 1,200 employees, availability of skilled workers and the quality of Pompano Beach's industrial park, Coddington said.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-kalashnikov-comes-to-pompano-20160128-story.html

DogStar69 likes this.
  8. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I don't know much about guns and stuff
    but they do seem like the coolest of all the guns

9. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I know that area and never seen an industrial center there, I guess I think of old factories from the 1900s when I think manufacturing or something huge, and it's prolly a modest sized place.

10. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
  11. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Much prefer the AR15. The AK47 is awkward for me to hold and shoot.

12. The Jackie chair

The Jackie chair Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Dam I was going to quote that!

13. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
  14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I always just assumed they made some version of it here already.