Americans 'snapping' by the millions

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tired, Apr 22, 2013.

1. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  2. Mule

Mule New Member VIP

Reputations:
    SSRIs are the devil. Just try banging when on them. Impossible.

3. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A lot of people don't get it. After living in Europe for close to 10 years I see the difference clearly. Work life balance sucks in America. Being productive for productive's sake is not worth it. (Maybe the French got it right- Fuck your business, I want my 35 hours workweek- so the CEO will only make 10 mil this year) Not to mention society, the govt, religion, "they" what ever you want to call it wants to keep you scared, stressed and obediant. But believe what you want, don't take my word for it.

And millenials, don't get me started. This generation has grown up like veal. I know my two nephews have absolutely no clue whats going on in the real world. Their day consists of video games, after school activities and disney movies on dvd. When was the last time a 10 year old kid could get on a bike and ride around the block on his own without numerous neighbors calling the police.

Also they make all kids 17 years old choose what the fuck they are going to do for the rest of their life- then they are off to college and have to pay a 100k for this education.

Oh about suicide, I think David Chappelle said it best: You ever watch a movie and by the middle of the movie, you just know it is not going to get any better and walk out. I think a lot of people feel this way.

4. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    amen, brother

5. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here's another idea about what is wrong with society:

I mentioned above that for most kids by 17 they make a decision on what they want to do for the rest of their lives, they are made to enroll in college by their parents and for most have to take out huge fucken loans.

For many college kids, the trajectory of their life will go like this:
    Graduate college, get a job, buy a car, move in with a gf or bf.
    Then a few years after that you will probably get married, take out a mortgage on a house and start having a family
    By the time you are 30 all important decisions are over and you have built a prison cell for yourself for the rest of your life. You are now stuck with so much fucken debt that you will be paying it off for the next 30 years- till your fucken 60. You have a family so you can't easily get up and move. You are stuck in a shitty career and can't take the chance of switching careers because you can't even go without 6 months of income. You are essentially fucked. And as most people of the age of 40 and over know, your not fully mature at 25 to 30 making these decisions, you might have not figured out or had the time to figure out who you are by then.
    Society has you in a trap and knows it.

6. Mule

Mule New Member VIP

Reputations:
    All above is true. Also, why do we emphasize college above all else. How about learning a trade? I went to college and paid for it (awful) and now don't give a shit about my majors. If I had learned a trade and worked at it I feel like I would be set. As it is, I am an overeducated, under experienced 30ish guy who has to start completely over, just because I like working with my hands.

7. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;qWJCu3d6EX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWJCu3d6EX0[/video]

8. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    There's too many of them to make that kind of a generalization. If the one you're on affects you "in that way," ditch and demand your shrink (not your primary care physician -- they don't know shit about psych meds) give you a new one or he/she might give you two, that work well in combination.

Gotta keep trying different ones if the ones you're on don't work.

9. Woof

Woof Liver Shots? VIP

Reputations:
    A 'University' level education in most western world countries 'they' state equates to a larger overall income.

10. Mule

Mule New Member VIP

Reputations:
    I did. They put me on... Zoloft, Xanax, clonipin(sp) sereuel(sp?) plus two others. My therapist was the best.

11. Mule

Mule New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Usually it does. Not always though.

12. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Great article. Thanks for posting.

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    If you're still experiencing sexual side effects, you need to report that to your shrink -- not your therapist. You do have a shrink, right?

14. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    Just the fact that an American can lose their home and everything in it due to an illness or a frivolous lawsuit is fucked up beyond words.

The real terrorist isn't some sandy...................person in a desert somewhere; it's the system itself.

Auschwitz with flat screen tvs, PS3s and curly fries; that's all America is for the vast majority of its people.

It boggles my mind how the Americans still accept it. It's like as long as the lefties have Jon Stewart and Bill Maher, and the righties have Rush, Hannity, and Fox News, they're all satisfied. Nothing needs to actually be done if we can just get some laughs, or even just watch someone who we agree with.

15. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    It's not just the lower hours but the vacation times as well in Europe. Including paid vacations. In American you get two or three weeks of unpaid vacation and lots of people have to be on call and glued to their phones. It's a fucking joke. Meanwhile congress takes a one month break every fifteen minutes of work.

Suicide has surpassed car crashes as the leading cause of injury death for Americans. Even more disturbing, in the world’s greatest military, more U.S. soldiers died last year by suicide than in combat;

Part of this is flat out bullshit. The reason why suicides have surpassed car deaths has nothing to do with suicide and everything to do with car safety. Cars are far more safe than they were decades ago. So people aren't getting as killed as often as they were in traffic accidents. It's not that suicide has overtaken car deaths. It's that car deaths have dropped below suicides. There is a difference but this articles frames the stats to fit the purpose of the piece.

And it is the same with soldiers. Are soldiers are killing themselves at the same pace that they always have. But they are getting killed less often in combat. Better equipment, less fighting, better medical operations in the field, and lots of other reasons keep our troops alive longer. But suicide...there haven't been many advancements there.

I agree that mental health is a major issue in America right now. Maybe the biggest issue domestically besides unemployment, illegal immigration, and the economy. But this article has lots of ways that it "jukes the stats" to quote The Wire.

16. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    "you're a slave to the money...then you die"

17. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;1lyu1KKwC74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74[/video]

18. Roberticus

Roberticus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks like folks from all across the political spectrum are agreeing in this thread. That gives me hope. Cheers and Baba Booey to you all.

19. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Really?

It makes me want to jump from my balcony.

20. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    While watching "The Tudors" One of the main characters had a line that describes my attitude towards life perfectly..........
    "The French have a saying, "Honor all the gods, drink the wine and let the world be the world"