An Amazing, Yet Tragic Story...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Jan 3, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Kentucky plane crash kills 4; girl survives
    Girl, 7, lone survivor, walked up to area home

By Greg Botelho and Nick Valencia CNN
    UPDATED 4:00 AM EST Jan 03, 2015

[​IMG]

Photo of plane crash victims Marty and Kimberly Gutzler from his Facebook page.

The knock was faint. But, alerted by his two dachshunds, Larry Wilkins went to his door. He opened it to see a young girl -- her lips quivering, her nose bloodied, her arms and legs scratched up.

And, somehow, still alive.

"She told me that her mom and dad were dead," Wilkins said. "And that she had been in a plane crash."

The girl's sister and cousin also died when their Piper PA-34 aircraft went down Friday evening in western Kentucky. Even with the plane upside down, the 7-year-old made it out, trekked three-quarters of a mile in the dark through what Wilkins described as "very, very rough territory" -- mired with fallen trees, creeks, ditches and blackberry briars.

When Wilkins saw her, the girl was barefoot except for one sock and was dressed for Florida -- shorts, no coat -- not for trampling through the January cold of Kentucky. He got her on his couch and called 911, alerting authorities that a plane had gone down and there was at least one survivor.

Kentucky State Police troopers arrived in about 10 minutes. Sgt. Dean Patterson said the girl was taken to a local hospital with "non-life-threatening injuries."

"She's a terribly brave little girl, I'll tell you that," Wilkins said. "...I can't imagine a 7-year-old doing that."

FAA: Pilot reported engine problems

The plane this girl was on had left the warm, sunny climes of Key West, Florida, earlier Friday, heading for Mount Vernon, Illinois -- a small city of about 15,000 people abuot 80 miles east of St. Louis.

Until something went wrong. Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen explained that air traffic controllers "lost contact with a Piper PA-34 aircraft ... shortly after the pilot reported engine problems, and (said) that he was diverting to the Kentucky Dam State (Park) Airport."

The twin-engine aircraft didn't make it, crashing in Lyon County, about 30 miles east of Paducah, and less than 10 miles from the airport.

Soon after, the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board dispatched teams to investigate the crash.

The grieving has already begun. Kentucky State Police identified the dead early Saturday as Marty Gutzler, 49, Kimberly Gutzler, 45, and 9-year-old Piper Gutzler -- a husband, wife and their daughter. Also killed was 14-year-old Sierra Wilder, the survivor's cousin. All were from Nashville, Illinois.

The name of the surviving girl was withheld at the request of the family.

"(First responders) worked tirelessly to find this wreckage and hopefully salvage the lives of those that were on board," Kentucky State Police Lt. Brent White told CNN affiliate KFVS. "But, ultimately, it just wasn't meant to be."

Police: 'It's just really a miracle'

How the youngest person on the plane managed to emerge alive also hit close to home for many like White, who has a 8-year-old girl of his own.

"When I saw ... what appeared to be a 7-year-old child that had walked through this dense forest and through some really touch terrain and some awfully poor conditions tonight and survived this," White said, "it's just really a miracle."

Wilkins believes the girl saw his street lights from the woods, and thankfully found him -- in one of only three homes in his neighborhood that are occupied in winter.

Thinking about what the 7-year-old went through, and what comes next, brings tears to Wilkins' eyes, he said.

"I just feel so sorry for that little girl, I can't understand it," Wilkins said. "... I just can't imagine (going through) that, for someone that young."

smichal, Petal, Richards Dad and 2 others like this.
  2. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    Meh. I lightly stubbed my toe in the dark this morning :coffee:

3. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

Having a 7 year old daughter of my own, it made me feel bad. :(

smichal, squigglyline, Jayla and 3 others like this.
  4. Winston Ono

Winston Ono Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Having an airplane of my own, it made me feel bad.

5. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Heard that on the news this morning. Amazing.

smichal and h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 like this.
  6. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    tHISisKiSSeL, Big Bad Booey and Dorb like this.
  7. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Have the same, felt the same :(

Dorb likes this.
  8. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Hey Richard this your Dad, well we had a little visitor show up last night, but your Mom said we couldn't eat her.
    Okay Bub, talk to ya later."

:hhh:

9. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    People should not be flying in these small planes Robin....especially with their entire family. As you know Robin, when I fly its in a G5.

The Snork likes this.
  10. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Piper Gutzler..........if the plane didn't kill her the snickering at her name would have.

To soon?

Tinman likes this.
  11. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    When I go on a long trip I worry bout my old car engine breaking down.
    But if it does break down its just a pain in the ass inconvenience.
    What happens in a small plane if your engine breaks down?
    You fucking crash! And if you live thru it you will still be seriously injured.
    Never get me up in one of those things even though I love heights.

Shortwave98 likes this.
  12. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The parents named her after the plane, apparently the knew she would sputter out and land hard.

:peek:

13. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    From the father's facebook, here are what appears to be a few pics of them in the plane as they were headed to Key West. Posted Dec 27th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sad stuff

14. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Indeed.

15. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Too busy taking selfies when He's supposed to be flying the plane!:pissed:

16. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The little girl wanted the guy who's house she knocked on to go with her to the hospital. He wasn't allowed because he wasn't related. That sucks, she should have gotten what she wanted to for Christ's sake.

17. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this is why family members should fly separately. one crash and you're all wiped out.

18. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

On one hand, the adventure of just getting in your family plane and whisking off to some exotic locale, something few can do. Those pictures look great, everyone's having fun above the clouds, on their way to warm beaches. Then in a minute it can all go so wrong, that poor girls life has just been turned upside down.

Thedomina likes this.
  19. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

For a moment, I remembered that player from the Chargers and his wife that left their young kids with one of the parents and went on a little getaway. They took the ValueJet that crashed in Florida, after the Chargers said they would support the kids and pay for their educations.

We fly commercial to the U.S. every couple years to vacation and visit the family, I've told my wife if anything ever happened, at least we'll be together.

20. squigglyline

squigglyline Double Secret Probation Gold

Reputations:
    Seriously heartbreaking... :(