Amazon Prime

An analysis of election 2012

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RiotGrip, Nov 7, 2012.

1. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    Well, the results are in, and Obama won a strong electoral victory, and a legitimate popular vote victory. As I posted here, I trusted science, and I repeatedly stated that Obama had a relatively easy path to victory electorally. The hard core conservatives, believed that the polls were not only wrong but maybe even fixed. I likened this election year to 1996, because there is a portion of this population who had such hatred toward Obama that they couldn't (or refused to) believe that he would win re-election--very similar to Bill Clinton in 1996. However in reality the electoral victory was sizeable.

I blame primarily Talk radio and the blogosphere for these beliefs. Sure the republicans won big in 2010, but the opposing party almost always picks up seats in mid term elections. I also feel that the hate of Obama peaked in 2010, he had nowhere to go but up from that point. Also, talk radio continously pushes the point that republicans only loose when they aren't conservative enough--I feel being overly conservative is a weakness on a national ticket. Mitt Romney did his best to take more conservative stances throughout the primary and he was successful, but he had to live with the reprecussions of many statements he made.

Also, Talk radio and fox news created, documented, over reported and encouraged the current tea party. A no compromise attitude sounds great to supporters, but rarely does it get you a victory or any substantial bill in congress. The right has admired Karl Rove for his "base theory" to win national elections, but I think he was only successful because he caught the tail end of that constituency. Karl Rove's base is outnumbered by minorities and younger voters, "the base" that Carl Rove capitalized on in 2000 and 2004 is no longer enough to win a presidential election.

Objectively Obama's performance has been Mediocre on many fronts, and he could have been beaten if the Republican party was willing to change their platform in a subtle fashion. Lower taxes, More military and Pro-life didn't cut it this time. The question is will they keep up the exact same principles and refuse to compromise, or do they make subtle adaptations to capture some of the new and changing demographic while telling Rove's :quote:base:quote: that they can take us, vote Democrat or stay home:dontknow:

That's my thoughts, 1996 all over again, but where we go as Country is yet to be determined.

Opinions (and flames if you must) welcome

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Sponsor

Sponsor

Reputations:

3. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    ...i got an analysis for you. all the assholes that had to run behind every single post that anyone here made and post some stupid shit in rebuttal, i.e. benghazi! or whatever other stupid shit they could think of couldnt see the writing on wall or their hand in front of their face and thats why they lost. they invested in a loser because theyre so insightful. i kinda miss the big mouth know it alls today but i guess theyre dragging themselves thru another loser hangover. have a nice day fellahs. :bigwave:

4. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Nothing like sucking your own cock in public.

5. mattyfishrip197

mattyfishrip197 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    you would know about that...how did that bet turn out for ya

6. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:

The question is did they believe the hype that their side was pushing? Science and figures showed a pretty likely Obama victory, but nut jobs with no real credibility seemed to be convincing regular people that the media and pollsters were lying. I watched Brit Hume on fox last night and he admittedly said yes the pollsters were right. Interestingly enough, no Benghazi story on Fox's front page this AM.

7. stripes

stripes New Member VIP

Reputations:
    bushes fault! fail to see your reasoning here, because obama won, the other team is wrong in believing they wanted change? or they knew obama was gonna win so they shoulda chucked all that & voted a winner? which one?

8. stripes

stripes New Member VIP

Reputations:
    how are you not the biggest known culprit of this which you complain about on a public message board on politics?

9. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    my take on it: the Reagan Revolution is over, and the godless people are in charge :hat:

10. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    That reminds me, where's MatthewT ???

edit: Oops! Dere he be!

11. MatthewT

Reputations:
  12. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    Well, Reagan has been mythicized by the right. He was conservative, but not anywhere near the average republican today. Also He could never smell a primary victory in today's atmosphere for the simple fact that he was a Democrat who campaigned for FDR. Mike Huckabee himself stated Ronald Reagan could not run as a republican today--yet the right constantly states their candidates only loose if they are "not conservative enough".

As to your godless comment, Latinos are generally religious people, and they could be swayed to vote Republican in higher numbers. The problem is the hardline no compromise stance republicans take on immigration. On a board I frequented almost a decade ago, one poster stated that there should be snipers watching the border and they should shoot to kill those climbing the fence illegally--one of the arguments posed against this was not the lack of humanity in this statement, but the risk that a pregnant woman could get shot and her baby would die. Also remember amnesty was granted under Reagan. You could make the case that Bush would have lost florida both terms if he had taken a more agressive stance on immigration. The latino vote is the future and latinos are not godless people, but they will not stand for the Republican's current immigration platform.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  13. MatthewT

Reputations:
    my first pick, Rick Perry, lost the nomination because he stated he would seek to treat mexicans as human beings. my second pick, Rick Santorum, lost the nomination because Mitt was a better politician. Mitt lost the election because the democratic machine overpowered the republican machine.

but yeah, the gains of the Reagan Revolution are gone, and it's gonna hurt. a lot.

14. InstigatinMofo

InstigatinMofo Active Member

Reputations:
    The first big thing is that a very clear majority of Americans saw the truth about the past four years. Exit polls showed that voters still blamed the economic problems on George Bush’s administration. They thought Obama tried hard and did a pretty good job (no, he hasn’t done a great job yet), and they notice the change and improvement recently. I didn’t write all these things down, but in state after state exit poll as they went through them on CNN, more people thought—finally!—that the economy was headed in the right direction.

The people know who created the problem, and they know who’s fixing it. That’s number one.

And number two? The second big thing here is that the Republican Party is just too far to the right. Not just to win a national election. It’s too far to the right even to compete really seriously in one. The thing some Republicans are saying now is absolutely true: They should have been able to win this year. No incumbent president has ever been reelected with this kind of unemployment rate, and there’s no good reason it should have happened now. They could have won.

But it’s a fringe party that has become too extreme to win the White House. I’d imagine they’re going to blame Romney. I don’t like Mitt Romney. I’m indescribably relieved that after tonight, I never have to hear that man’s wretched voice again. He ran the lyingest campaign in modern history—just outright and blatant lies.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/06/a-thrashing.html

[h=2]Why Mitt Lost[/h]

15. Bosch76

Bosch76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Where is my $100????

BULLSHIT MOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. MatthewT

Reputations:
    why you lyin' bro? :wtf:

17. MatthewT

Reputations:
    let's put it this way; if i didn't paypal you the $100, how do i know your full name? :bigthink

18. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    Rick Perry and camp N-head along with his stance on social security had a bit to do with his loss--but as to your comment it proves that the republican primaries demand stances that make a candidate unelectable in a general election. Rick Santorum's defeat would have been far worse than Romney's--the guy got creamed in PA when a pro-life democrat challanged him, and he is not nearly as bright as Romney. The only reason Santorum looked like he had a chance was because the Republicans had given every one else their 15 minutes to be ahead of Romney in the polls--before that he was at 1 to 2% in every primary poll.

If republicans do revamp their stance, look toward it being a lot different on immigration and more latino friendly.

19. Bosch76

Bosch76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Where is my $100????

BULLSHIT MOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. MatthewT

Reputations:
    i don't agree; the last bunch of dudes were anything but conservatives, and they all lost. i see a pattern.

21. MatthewT

Reputations:
    maybe at the place you told me to paypal it, BE? :wtf: