An inside look on Gary's biggest bookings

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.howardstern.com
    [​IMG]

Term Paper - a blog by Gary Dell'Abate

Booking a big guest is without a doubt the most gratifying part of my job. It’s like hitting a walk off HR or scoring a touchdown in OT. When it all goes right it’s truly the most amazing feeling.

I thought I’d give you background in to what was involved in bringing in two of the biggest guests in the history of the show.

Paul McCartney

Jackie the Joke Man used to have a funny saying about trying to get a hot chick that was out of your league. He used to call it a “term project†meaning that it was going to take a long time and quite a bit of work. I started using that term for some guests that I really wanted to land. The first person to get that tag from me was Paul McCartney.

Every year I would get the task from Robin of putting on Howard’s birthday show. We would meet and she would lay this list on me that looked more like the line up for the Kennedy Center Honors. But we agreed early on that it didn’t hurt to ask. We knew we’d get a lot of no’s but if we got lucky with one yes it would be worth it.

McCartney was on that list. I called his publicist the first time and was told to fax my request.

That is the kiss of death for me because it’s a very nice blow off. It means we’ll toss your fax on a pile and never look at it. Still I dutifully sent the fax every year.

[​IMG]

After about the third year, I met a guy who knew a guy who worked in McCartney’s lawyer’s office. His name was Bill and I was told he was a big fan. I called him and we had a great conversation. He loved Howard and I think he got a rush out of the fact that Baba Booey called him.

At the time Howard was crushing Paul on the air pretty bad. We may have been playing the Linda McCartney singing tapes at the time (which we later received a Cease and Desist to stop) Where Bill sat in the McCartney food chain, I had no idea BUT I now had another hook in the water. So I would call Bill two or three times a year and we would just chat. Bill would say, “I would love to talk to Paul but Howard is killing him†and I would say that it was all comedy and no harm was meant. If Paul came in and busted Howard on it, it would be a love fest! No luck.

Then something significant and sad happened. Linda got sick and she passed away. Howard had seen a special on TV about Paul & Linda’s love story and raved on the air how special a love they had. I made a cassette (yes this was the 90’s) and got it right over to Bill. Every time Howard would say nice stuff, I would get Bill a cassette.

[​IMG]

This went on for another year and a half.

Then one day Bill called me and said that he had played many of those cassettes for Paul and that Paul was grateful for Howard’s kind words.

And a few months later, when I saw Paul was doing press and I called Bill he said yes….Paul McCartney had agreed to do the Howard Stern Show.

I hung up the phone and made a gesture much like Kirk Gibson did when he hit the walk off home run in that World Series game and yelled “Yessssss!!!â€

That was about 10 years after my first call to someone in the McCartney organization. My term paper had been completed.

Paul came in and Howard was just amazing. They were great together. They talked about Paul & Linda, how Paul wrote some of the greatest songs of our lives and even chatted about John Lennon and Yoko.

It was immediately a legendary appearance for any Stern fan. But few of the fans, even many on the staff had no idea what went in to getting him in.

[​IMG]

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Lady Gaga

One day Richard Christy forwarded me an e-mail from a friend of his who works in the movie and music business. Big fan of the show! He says that he was hanging out with Lady Gaga’s manager, Troy Carter, and Troy said he would love to get her on our show. So I e-mailed Troy to start the dialogue and he said “Sure, get back to me in 8 months when she is on tour and we’ll do thisâ€

So six months later I start to e-mail and call Troy. Nothing. No response. Radio silence.

But I am a persistent little fucker and he said yes, so I am going to get what I was promised.

[​IMG]

He finally e-mails me back the week before she comes to NY to do Letterman to tell me that her schedule is full but she’ll do it later on. I keep hammering.

Lady Gaga came to Sirius that week. I waited until she arrived and I sought out Troy. I found him in the lobby and we chatted. I told him Howard and I had a bet about Gaga. Howard said she wasn’t coming and I said she was. I made that bet with Howard because I trusted my gut on Troy. I really did believe he would keep his word.

Troy told me that I should double the bet. Lady Gaga would absolutely do Howard’s show in a few weeks. I believed him.

A few more e-mails, a few more calls and we set a date. Lady Gaga was confirmed.

[​IMG]

A side note:

Howard told me the week before her appearance that we should get a piano in studio just in case. I call Steinway and they send one over.

It’s always a tough call because she may walk in and be spooked when sees the piano. I get a call from Troy on Saturday night. Lady Gaga would like to perform. Is there any way, on such short notice, that we could get a piano in the studio for Monday morning….and by the way….could you get a Steinway?

Wow Troy. That’s a lot to ask. Let me see if I can make it happen.

When he came in on Monday he was so thankful we got the piano.

He’ll never know it was already there.

3. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    Thanks Nemo. :) One of the greatest moments in show history (for me) was when Paul came in.

4. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Lol.

Whatever happened to people call the show when they want to be on? Looks like the monkey is putting out his resume.

Another rat ready to jump ship? :munch:

5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:

Gary is amazing....according to Gary...:jj:
    The end is near for the Stern show.

6. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Gary sees the big axe that Malone carries with him when he takes over a company

7. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    WTF? Is it "term paper" or "term project"?! He changes halfway thru.

I particularly love the explanation of how Robin gave Gary a list for the birthday parties and then Gary did everything. So much for gunty taking credit for single handedly putting those together.:jj:

8. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    Right. Because only Nemo and us are interested enough to read your crap.:facepalm:

9. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Persistent for 10 years with Sir Paul and knowing that lady gaga would want a piano. What an amazing producer.

You'd be an idiot not to hire him. :jj:

10. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck Fuck Fuck. I want to punch him. And you for posting this. And myself for reading it.

11. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    when will he tell the story about falling asleep and then lying about it?

12. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    :pray:

13. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    :lol:

14. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    exactly!

is he the world's biggest asshole, or what?

15. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    gary may really be uglier than HS.

16. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    he is :( but the genes seemed to have stopped with him.

17. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    I got a rush just knowing that Baba Booey wrote that. hahahaha

18. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    :lol:

19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Gary is a loyal well paid idiot.
    What he will never blab about is all the incestuous bartering that goes on.
    All the Beth and Booey media tours are paid back by having an endless stream of shitty guests to pay back the various publicists and other scummy slimy faceless people in the business.
    Booey will never talk about all the Buchwald guests that he is told to pencil in on the schedule.
    Remember Gary thanked himself for booking Jay Z? Stern quickly pointed out that Gary had nothing to do with the booking....:jj:

All the answers are in the briefcase....:coffee:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Onehourphoto

Onehourphoto Maverick Gold

Reputations:
    He should have sent "Bill" his other cassette tape.

"I lost a lover and a friend. You lost a lover and a friend but gained a lover and a friend. I gained a lover and no friends."

"My professional life is a noine...but my personal life like a 2." "