And the Beef and Wig care for cats....

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    British toddler with bulbous tumor on eyelid to get life-changing surgery thanks to surgical team at Lenox Hill Hospital
    Little Colby Ramos-Francis, who suffers from a massive hemangioma, was the object of rude stares and bullying from kids and adults alike. Family's story, via Facebook, reached Dr. Milton Waner at Lenox Hill, who spearheaded effort to perform operation
    BY Erica Pearson
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015, 2:30 AM

[​IMG]
    A British toddler is set to receive life-changing surgery Wednesday, thanks to a Facebook connection and a team of compassionate doctors.

The red birthmark on Colby Ramos-Francis’ right eyelid — just a small, heart-shaped strawberry mark when he was born — has grown into a bulbous tumor so large it blocks the 17-month-old’s vision and draws stares and rude comments at the bus stop.

“It’s gotten to the point where we needed help. Colby was being bullied by adults and children,” said the boy's mom, Aimee Ramos-Price, 18. “He sits and touches it and compares himself to myself, usually. He knows that he’s got it, which is difficult, to know that he already knows that he’s different from everybody else.”

Doctors in Bristol told the boy’s parents surgery wasn’t an option until he was older — and continued to prescribe a drug that failed to shrink the mass of blood vessels, or hemangioma.

“We were told that the wait-and-see approach was the best approach for us. It was really difficult because we knew there were no results,” said Ramos-Price, who lives in the small town of Corsham, east of Bristol.

[​IMG] Barry Williams/for New York Daily News Aimee Ramos-Price (l.) and Jamie Francis with 17-month-old son Colby at Manhattan Ear, Eye and Throat Hospital.
    Colby, a mischievous towhead who loves dancing and cuddling with his stuffed monkey and zebra, sometimes bleeds from the tumor, his parents said.

“A couple of times, Aimee had him in bed feeding him and his birthmark started bleeding as well. So it was a really scary moment for us,” said dad Jamie Francis, 23.

Ramos-Price began posting to a Facebook support group for parents of children with birthmarks like Colby’s and the family’s story reached Dr. Milton Waner, director of the Vascular Birthmarks Institute of New York at Lenox Hill Hospital.

“There’s no doubt that this child needs to be helped,” said Waner. “My main concern was not only the fact that this child had a massive hemangioma, which was very disfiguring, but the fact that this seemed to be blocking his visual access and also indenting his cornea.”

[​IMG] Barry Williams/for New York Daily News Colby Ramos-Francis' red birthmark grew into a tumor so large that it blocks his vision.
    Important connections between the eye and the brain are still developing, Waner said, and the toddler risks losing the sight in his right eye if his vision remains blocked.

Hemangiomas grow for the first year of a child’s life and then shrink. But because Colby’s has not yet diminished, it is not likely to do so quickly, according to Waner — and it has stretched the boy’s eyelid skin and muscle.

Waner reached out to plastic surgeon Dr. Thomas Romo III, founder of The Little Baby Face Foundation, which aids financially needy children with facial deformities, to help bring the family to Manhattan. The foundation covered travel costs and arranged for them to stay at the Ronald McDonald House.

“We’re really happy to have you here,” Romo told the family Tuesday, before Colby had a presurgery appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist.

[​IMG] Barry Williams/for New York Daily News Enlarge
    [​IMG] Barry Williams/for New York Daily News Enlarge
    Doctors at Lenox Hill are set to perform a life-changing operation for British tot.

Romo, who is also director of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital and Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, will be a part of Waner’s surgical team, along with head and neck surgeon Teresa O, co-director of Lenox Hill’s Center for Facial Nerve Disorders. All three are donating their time.

“I’m really hopeful,” said Ramos-Price. “It’s safe to say he’s in the best hands.”

scoobyla, joyceface, smichal and 2 others like this.
  2. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh, what a sweet child! Such good people helping him!!!

3. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    Cats are photogenic..Howard and Beth being the beauties they are ;) could never pose with that sweet little guy. The closest they get to being charitable is posing with Blind Bella..

It makes me sad that this poor baby gets bullied not only from children, but from so called adults. There are many good people in the world that really put their money where their mouth is. Not like the frauds, Howard and Beth..

4. Shithead

Reputations:
    Cute kid

meanredhed and teehee like this.
  5. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    as long as people have needs, I could give two shits for stray cats and dogs..

6. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've volunteered at the Give Kids the World Village which helps Make A Wish children. I can't afford to donate money, so I donate my time instead. You don't know what it's like, having a Halloween event in July because many of those adorable kids won't live to go Trick or Treating in October. It's fucking heartbreaking. It infuriates me that people like Stern and his cunty wife, who are in a position to help kids like this choose some stupid bullshit cause to promote. And when I say promote, I mean themselves. Say what you want about Imus and his wife, but at least they're doing some good with their cancer ranch.

meanredhed and Dorb like this.
  7. Shithead

Reputations:
    Just because i like feel good stories
    British boy has surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital to remove tumor on eyelid
    EXCLUSIVE: Doctors and the parents of 17-month-old Colby Ramos-Francis were rejoicing after the boy had surgery Wednesday. The boy was born with a birthmark called a hemangioma, which turned into a large tumor that blocked his vision. The family traveled from England for the procedure.
    BY Erica Pearson
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Thursday, February 5, 2015, 2:30 AM

[​IMG]
    A British toddler is a “normal little boy” now after crossing the Atlantic for surgery to remove the tumor blocking his right eye.

“It’s amazing,” said 17-month-old Colby Ramos-Francis’ mom, Aimee Ramos-Price, who cuddled her son in the recovery room at Lenox Hill Hospital Wednesday.

“It’s such a great relief,” said Colby’s dad, Jamie Francis, 23, who kissed the boy’s forehead.

Ramos-Francis was a little startled by the tot’s changed appearance. “It’s nice for him to be a normal little boy now,” she said.

[​IMG] Michael Graae/New York Daily News Dr. Milton Waner (l.) and Dr. Teresa O prepare to remove the tumor over Colby's eye at Lenox Hill Hospital.
    Colby was born with a small, heart-shaped strawberry birthmark called a hemangioma, which grew into a large tumor, blocking his vision. Frustrated when the drugs prescribed by doctors in Bristol didn’t shrink the mass, Ramos-Price, 18, posted to a Facebook support group for parents of kids with hemangiomas.

The family’s story reached an expert in the field, Dr. Milton Waner, who worked with the Little Baby Face Foundation to cover travel costs and bring them from their small town of Corsham in Wiltshire, England, to Manhattan for surgery. The doctors all worked for free to help Colby.

Waner, director of the Vascular Birthmarks Institute of New York at Lenox Hill, used a monopolar electrocautery needle on Wednesday to slowly dissect the spongy 2-inch mass of tissue and blood vessels.

[​IMG]
    Aimee Ramos-Price holds her son, Colby Ramos-Francis, before his surgery on Wednesday.
    Waner talked with team members Dr. Thomas Romo, a plastic surgeon, and head and neck surgeon Dr. Teresa O to first plot the incisions with a surgical marker. Then with slight, precise movements, Waner separated the hemangioma from Colby’s eyelid and muscle.

The mass caused Colby’s eyelid to stretch. But it’s too soon to tell if the toddler will need minor followup surgery.

“I’m happy. Everything looks good,” Waner said after the hour-and-a-half procedure.

meanredhed likes this.
  8. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe the mother could have tried popping it first with that thing stuck in her lip?

With all seriousness though, hope the kid does well.

9. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    Robin, in honor of that kid with the eyelid tumor, we have named our newest kitten "Carcinoma."