and the great experiment ends..

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by newcastlefan, Mar 21, 2014.

1. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    I guess di Blasio's kids don't ride?

[h=1]Citi Bike in red, needs millions to survive[/h][​IMG]

http://nypost.com/2014/03/21/citybike-in-red-needs-millions-to-survive/

The city’s ambitious bike-sharing program is reportedly bleeding money and needs a serious influx of cash if it is to survive.

Citi Bike officials are looking to raise tens of millions of dollars to save former Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s landmark initiative as it plunges into the red, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
    They have approached members of Mayor de Blasio’s administration for help with the program, with one solution being to raise rental rates, according to the report.
    While it wasn’t clear what the new mayor might do, the city’s transportation commissioner said recently that the bike-share program faced financial and operational challenges.
    “We are working as diligently as we can to help the company resolve [the problems] and strengthen the program,†Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said earlier this month.
    Biking advocates have blamed Alta Bicycle Share, the company that operates Citi Bike, for mismanaging the program.
    Although Citi Bike has been popular with commuters, the system has been plagued with problems, such as software glitches, maintenance woes and battery issues at the stations.Joe Tacopino

2. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    They work every where else. Maybe new yorkers are lazy?

3. Tuesday

Tuesday VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Has NYC created a bunch of bike lanes to accommodate these bikes?

4. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if NY used the same company that does the Divy bikes in Chicago? The company that did the bike program here went belly up and declared bankruptcy. And this is after Rahm Emanuel spent millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to add a shitload of bike lanes in the city. Fuck bikers, they want their own bike lane but they pay no taxes to support the building and maintence of the roads which come from gasoline taxes.

5. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    all over the place. nobody likes them except the bike riders. they used the reinforced concrete turnpike barriers and concrete islands to create third lanes throughout Manhattan for them. when the bikes are used they are all in use: i pass the docking areas around 10am weekdays and all the bikes are out everywhere: commuters use them to get from the stations to their offices, but I think the majority of users are not the Mayor's constituents: the users understand that the bikes are communal and have to be returned after use. DiBlasio's voters probably have no use for a bike they have to return once they take possession.

6. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    NYC streets are hell on cars and probably on bikes also. i've heard that maintenance on the bikes and the docks are a constant drain on the program resources.

7. Tuesday

Tuesday VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Hmm... maybe US folk are not as health conscious as Europeans. You'd think as "hurry hurry" we are, more people would ride bikes to and fro.

8. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    my stupid town tried having free bikes to borrow for downtown use about 15yrs ago. they were all painted bright yellow or green, dont remember but the bikes disappeared naturally so the city bought more & said we just have to flood the mkt until all that want to steal a bike has one, then this program will work...i shit you not....it was done about 6 mos later & all the bros were riding around on their newly spray painted bikes:c

9. wetback

wetback #1 Asshole VIP

Reputations:
    :rolleyes:

10. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    the bikes are not suffering from a lack of use or interest: they are more than 90% utilized every day here. they are just falling apart from all the use and the system's payment scenario is not sufficient to cover it's maintenance and growth. $100/yr/person is just not enough to cover the costs of maintaining a bike used almost 20 hours every day, especially when the bikes, electronics, and docks probably retail for > $1000 each.

11. fletchman71

Reputations:
    I speak from experience at listening to bikers bitch about wanting bike lanes everywhere but they don't want to pay for them. Our roads are built and maintained by gasoline tax so they are for the people with cars. You want a bike lane or a bike path fine, pay for it yourself. Rahm tried to float out a bike tax to pay for more bike lanes but the bike riders threw a fit so go ahead and roll your eyes again.

12. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Same yellow bike program here. Didn't last a month before the bikes were all "repurposed."

13. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    never heard of it. don't care.
    however i AM wearing a brooklyn t-shirt today. :hat:

14. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    the ones that got the bikes and bike lanes implemented pay loads of taxes. many are my neighbors, and this was one of the few initiatives everyone both agreed that we hated the idea of the bike lanes and still wanted the bikes and lanes created. the bike messengers probably pay no taxes, but the rest of us more than make up for them.

I attribute all the grumbling and griping about the bike lanes to the 11th commandment: "Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right."

15. fletchman71

Reputations:
    Are you one of those faggits that thinks that wearing something that says "Brooklyn" is somehow cool or implies toughness?

16. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    you should wear a Brooklyn t-shirt every day: being from Brooklyn is a sign of superior breeding.

17. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    no, but being born there and growing up there does

18. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    no nothing about it either but i would assume a certain element would just steal them

19. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
  20. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    I thought you were closing SB.:nocheer: