another boxing thread

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Mr Cachexic, May 9, 2016.

1. Mr Cachexic

Mr Cachexic Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    that one a couple days ago got me back into watching old boxing during the Jack Johnson era

Jack Dempsey fucks Willard's day up...gotta hand it to Willard, he could take countless bombs to the chin and keep getting up

this is the only footage of Joe Choynski(white trunks, blue corner) that i can find that is definitely real....he knocked out a young Jack Johnson in the 3rd round once and i really want to see this guy fight but can't so far...anybody heard of this dude?

Tranquil likes this.
  2. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    ho lee fuk

http://www.boxing.com/the_horror_jess_willards_toledo_injuries.html

One of his cheekbones had caved in. His jaw was broken, as was his nose. His ribs were busted. Many of his teeth had been knocked out

Before the great slaughter, when he was still riding high as the 5/4 favorite, Willard approached Dempsey’s manager Doc Kearns and made a curious request. Jess wanted legal immunity in case he killed Jack.

cocky bastard might have deserved it

3. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Oh, that's a nice headlock, sir. VIP

Reputations:
    You know, I've always felt that so many of the modern “wise guys” have bought the theory that Dempsey was too light to compete with the heavyweights of today. What a joke! Simply put, Dempsey was the hardest hitter in boxing history and one of the best-conditioned. The fighters of Dempsey’s era trained far harder than today’s bloated super-heavyweights and would have no trouble with any of them today. A lot of people bought into the bull that Ali was “the greatest”. Well, he was: the greatest ballyhoo artist of his day. Dempsey was just as fast and could take it just as easy as he could dish it out. Ali was knocked down by light-heavy Doug Jones, Joe Frazier, Britain’s Henry Cooper. Had Dempsey hit him he wouldn’t have gotten up. The other thing one has to realize is that the men of Dempsey’s day, though leaner than today’s over-muscular behemoths, were tougher. They fought for a living and didn’t want to become singers or dancers or actors. All they did was train and fight, and thus, they were far better conditioned and a hell-of-a-lot tougher and could go far more rounds than today’s fighters. When Ali came up the talent in the heavyweight division was one of the poorest in boxing history. Tell me, what truly great fighters did Ali ever beat on his way up? The answer is none. And the men he fought after he became champion weren’t much better. Sure, Frazier could hit, and he beat Ali the first time they fought, but Frazier couldn’t take a punch like a Dempsey or a Marciano. George Foreman simply got tired and just collapsed in the heat in Zaire. Big men like Foreman are generally slower and make easier targets for a faster opponent as in the case with Ali. Had Ali tried the rope-a-dope against Dempsey or Marciano or Louis he would have been broken in half. Those men could hit. They were truly great hitters, and the men they fought were a lot tougher and more skilled than any man Ali ever fought with the exception of Archie Moore, who was around fifty years old when he fought Ali. As for the loaded gloves story, it’s bogus. Had Dempsey used plaster of paris his hands would have been broken as well. Dempsey didn’t need plaster of paris. His fists were steel and his skills honed to perfection after almost sixty fights. Prior to the Willard fight, Dempsey knocked out every top heavyweight- most in the first round. In fact, Dempsey has the greatest first round knockout record of any heavyweight in history. So, in conclusion, you young “wise guys” who think today’s behemoths are better than the men in Dempsey’s era simply don’t know a damned thing about boxing. Size and big muscles are worthless against a finely-trained killer with speed and punching power like Dempsey had. Some of you think Mike Tyson is the greatest. You’re wrong there, too. Sure, Tyson could hit but he couldn’t take it when an opponent hit him back just as hard. Just look at his two fights against Holyfield—both of which Tyson lost—and his being knocked out when he lost the title to a second-tier fighter who didn’t cower and fought back. We will probably never again see a fighter like Jack Dempsey. He was in a class by himself. The ol’ Manassa Mauler was the greatest—not Ali.

Mr Sinister likes this.
  4. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    I see you have strong feelings on this guy....and I respect that and you...but I ain't reading all that. :)

5. MrPPV

MrPPV The Shed Stopper

Reputations:
    What a shitty thread

6. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    what you're saying makes sense to me....the 3 toughest boxers i've seen yet are Dempsey, Johnson and Sam Langford

Sam Langford was the scariest man on earth...Dempsey and Johnson both outwardly said they wanted absolutely no part of him. not sure if Dempsey even fought him because of how fucking horrifying he was. Johnson fought him once, knocked him out and never fought him again. Downright refused. i read somewhere that Sam Langford called him out IN THE STREET looking for a fight because he was pissed Jack was ducking him lol

7. This Fucker

This Fucker An Outsider looking in Gold

Reputations:
    I read this cut and paste and if the ole Manassa Mauler was so great why didn't he fight the black fighters of that era?

8. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    barf typed that what are you talking about

and yeah Dempsey is a pussy for ducking Langford. at least Johnson actually fought him and proved he could beat him, Dempsey pretty much admitted Langford is better

9. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
  10. This Fucker

Reputations:
    big faggy bobtraw is that big of a boxing fan...okay

Mr Cachexic likes this.
  11. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Oh, that's a nice headlock, sir. VIP

Reputations:
    Dude are you really going to question my knowledge of the Manassa Mauler?

12. BLOW ME

BLOW ME Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  13. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    who the fuck is this guy

14. This Fucker

Reputations:
    Of course