Another Flight Diverted Due To Seat Reclining Arguments

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Sep 2, 2014.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard related since he's too special to fly commercial.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/travel/airline-seat-recline-diversion/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

CNN)
    -- Another day, another fight about reclining seats on a U.S. airline flight.

In the third serious airline legroom incident in two weeks, an angry passenger caused yet another flight to divert Monday night.

Delta Air Lines Flight 2370 from New York's LaGuardia Airport to West Palm Beach, Florida, was rerouted to Jacksonville, Florida. A passenger became irate about the traveler in front of her trying to recline her seat, a fellow passenger told CNN affiliate WPTV.

"This woman who was sitting next to me knitting actually just tried reclining her seat back," passenger Aaron Klipin said. "The woman behind her started screaming and swearing and then a flight attendant came over and that just exacerbated what was going on and then she demanded that the flight land."

Delta confirmed the diversion.

"Delta flight 2370 from New York-LaGuardia to West Palm Beach was re-routed to Jacksonville International Airport due to a passenger disruption," Delta said in a statement. "Out of an abundance of caution, the Captain elected to divert to the closest airport."

Local law enforcement removed the passenger and the flight continued to West Palm Beach, Delta said.

A United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey, to Denver was diverted on August 24 after two passengers argued over one passenger's use of a "Knee Defender," a device that blocks reclining.

Should the Knee Defender be banned?

Water was thrown and the passengers, both 48, were removed from the flight in Chicago, according to a federal law enforcement source, speaking on background. The passengers were not arrested.

It seems at least one of the passengers was not completely satisfied with the extra space in the Economy Plus section where they were seated, which provides United passengers up to 5 inches of extra legroom compared with standard coach seats.

Aviation blogger Benet Wilson is surprised there haven't been more incidents in the air as travelers face long security checkpoint lines at more crowded airports as well as less space and fewer amenities on planes.

"As airlines try and squeeze as many seats into economy as possible, that decreases seat pitch which can be uncomfortable for someone like me, who is 5'3"," wrote Wilson via e-mail.

"But imagine being a foot taller squeezed into that same space. It doesn't help that the (Federal Aviation Administration) doesn't have an official rule on using (seat-blocking devices), instead deferring to passengers and airlines. So I feel the situation will get worse before it gets better."

The core problem is definitely the airlines packing too many seats too close together into a tight space, said veteran flight attendant Heather Poole, author of "Cruising Attitude: Tales of Crashpads, Crew Drama, and Crazy Passengers at 35,000 Feet."

"That said, this doesn't give anyone the right to act childish," Poole wrote via e-mail. "To react in such a way that the crew feels the need to divert a flight to have a passenger removed is a really big deal."

2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I had to guess

3. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I tend to "innocently" flex my knees into the reclined seat on a regular basis.. without regret cuz IMO it's a helluva lot more uncomfortable to have that seatback bearing down on my legs than for him or her to sit in an upright position. Usually it works, but not always. But they're right, it's much more the airlines fault for the cramped conditions than either passenger's

4. Stern68

Stern68 mult Banned User

Reputations:
    American 757's are the worst.

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  5. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why have reclining seats if people can't recline them.

koclem likes this.
  6. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Fuck these people Robin. That's why I only fly on private jets.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  7. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:

NYC to west palm beach --- you're right... Tribe members.

8. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    I hate people. Fuck that. They need to have an escape hatch. Next time some fuckstick starts trouble, instead of ruining the travel plans of hundreds of innocent passenger, grab the asshole, strap them into a parachute, and throw their asses of with a gps device. Let local authorities pick them up and arrest them.

Fuck I hate people.

9. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I'm 6'7 and I usually ask people not to lean back on my legs and they don't occasionally so I usually whisper to them what assholes they are and make sure I drive my knee into the middle of their back the whole flight

RenchFries, Weed and Trophy Knife like this.
  10. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you are 6'7 why not pay for a proper seat or get one near an escape exit.

Why should other people have to suffer because you're so tall.

It's the same with all these fat bastards who can't fit between the arm rests. Pay for a seat that suits your oversize requirements, or just walk.

11. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why did this all of a sudden become an issue? Maybe they can restrict the amount these chairs can recline. My beef on planes is the screaming kids that kick my seat.

Mulletude likes this.
  12. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Along with these assholes that get super shitfaced on flights and cause them to be diverted, life in prison, hard labor, no parole. After a few shitheads test the law, people will be boarding and deboarding with nazi like precision. People who lollygag in the aisles while putting their shit away in the overheads should be executed publicly on the tarmac.

RenchFries, Mack29, slab0meat and 4 others like this.
  13. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I always ask for an exit row. Most of the time I get one. I'm not paying for first class, I'm just a working stiff, so there's that. In the case where I have to sit somewhere, I usually make a deal with the person in front of me. I'm a nice guy. But if a someone is a prick, I can be a prick right back. I never lean back either.

I agree about the fat people thing or the stupid crap with kids or pets. I'm tall, I can't help being tall.

14. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The problem is flying has become so cheap that anyone with $100 can fly. It's getting to be like taking the bus. There is no respect for others on the plane.

RenchFries and XaltedSmoke like this.
  15. BarberFloyd

BarberFloyd God Bless DuPont Chemicals Banned User

Reputations:
  16. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    I seriously have no problem if you are that tall and ask me if I would not put my seat back, I would not....Fat on the other hand, sweats, and it's flesh bumps into mine, and folds over into my space.....pay for seat for two for one......

Scarlett Ohara, isabella and Stern68 like this.
  17. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I've brought my dog on one flight. It was a nightmare and I would never do that to her or me again.

People that torture us with their pets or kids on flights should be murdered.

Lester and Stern68 like this.
  18. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Fuck all these poor people with their commercial air travel problems. They should have worked harder and evolved. Right Robin?

Dlist, Lester and Stern68 like this.
  19. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Just get or make yourself one of these gadgets:

[​IMG]

You stick them in the seat in front of you and they can't recline. :c

20. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would take a pet over a kid any day. Had a non stop flight a few years ago from Seattle to Philly, this kid Marco screamed the entire flight. Parents parented they did not speak English when they were asked to shut the kid up. All you heard the whole time was a kid screaming and his parents screaming "Marco Marco Marco". There was not enough booze on that plane to make it better.

AmishGirl likes this.