Amazon Prime

Another Reason to not Escalate a situation

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by itpdude, Nov 29, 2012.

1. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Here is another story about a man who shot a black teen to death down in Florida:

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-death-black-teen-puts-florida-law-back-004720741.html

I don't know whether the shooter is white or black, but the quick story:

A man named Dunn was in Jacksonville to attend his son's wedding when he went to a gas station where 4 teens, all presumably black (the dead teen is black), were listening to music inside a vehicle. This is speculation but I'm betting they were blasting some shit-music with plenty of boom so anyone withing 100 feet of the vehicle could "enjoy" the music, too.

Anyways, this guy Dunn asked them to turn down the music while inside his vehicle. Words were exchanged and things escalated to the point where Dunn fired several shots at the vehicle, killing one of the occupants. Dunn fled but was later arrested in another county in Florida. Dunn alleges one of the occupants of the vehicle produced a shotgun which provoked him to fire upon the vehicle. No shotgun was recovered from the shot-upon vehicle.

Dunn, 45, now sits in a Florida jail on charges of second-degree murder. No bail.

The next part is TL/DR territory, so my apologies to those who don't like to read a lot. . . . for those who get through my screed below, I want to know your general opinions.

Set aside for a moment any question as to whether Dunn acted legally or not. Shit, assume he acted legally. Was it worth it to escalate a situation by even asking these teens to pipe down their music in the first place? I'm talking realistically here. I'm a gun owner who regularly carries, so my issue isn't with guns. If you are defending yourself, fine.

But something I had to come to terms with when I became a gun-owner was determining at what point I would actually use a firearm and it calmed me down. A lot. I went from being a prick-driver who flipped people off regularly and engaged in some road-rage (yeah yeah, I was a complete fucking idiot) to becoming downright dovish on the road. Cut me off? Fine by me. No harm, no foul. Blasting your music at the gas station? Cool, bro. Have at it. Not my problemo. Aggressive panhandler at the gas station? "Sorry, man, I don't have any change to give you" and report the activity to a gas-station employee. In other words, becoming a gun-owner didn't embolden me to be a "tough" guy. It caused me to calm the fuck down because of the consequences. I don't want to kill anyone if it can be avoided. I don't want the legal problems, the moral and ethical questions, etc.

This guy Dunn may have acted legally, and even if he did, he's already had to retain an attorney (expensive) and spend time in jail (horrible experience).

I think if Dunn had it to do over again, he would have tolerated the blaring music and gone along his way and enjoyed his son's wedding and then gone back home. Right now, he is stewing in jail, spending money, losing money if he works for a wage, and facing the possibility of a murder conviction.

It was not worth it, hoss.

2. Chriza

Chriza You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    This is some Howard thread

3. stripes

stripes New Member VIP

Reputations:
    i thought we all agreed to let the blacks kill each other. who didn't get the memo?

4. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Shot Dead

Reputations:
    This guy will go straight to jail, and stay in jail, and deservedly so.

[​IMG]

5. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Ha ha, how about this:

When will Howard Stern address this?

Does that link it up enough for you?

6. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Sheesh, he's 45? Those are some rough miles.

7. chuk

chuk VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard was hassled by black kids growing up. Same thing.

8. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    Aren't you supposed to be off somewhere kissing Kanye's taint? He's probably lonesome.

9. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If someone points a gun at you, you have a right to shoot them. Case closed.
    This is even more clear cut than the Trayvon Martin case (btw, that sure droppped out of the headlines)

That's how Snoop got off on his murder charge back in the 90's.

btw I don't own a gun, probably never will and I'm a monority. I just believe in one's right to self defence

10. gilaet

gilaet Police Truck Administrator

Reputations:
    I bet that gun was way louder than the music.

11. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    Not only that. His head is gigantic!

12. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard is always mocking gun owners as a bunch of rednecks.

Yet he owns guns

13. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    If they're playing rap loudly, you can just shoot in time with the beat, yo. Nigga don't be hearin' shit!

14. RumBalls

RumBalls Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    We will get back to the Beth bashing...don't worry

15. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
  16. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I agree that if someone points a gun at you, you have the right to defend yourself but that's not really my point. I hear you, though. This guy has a lot of trouble, though, because no firearm was recovered from the shot-up vehicle. That isn't necessarily dispositive of whether a firearm was brandished at Dunn; the weapon could have been tossed somewhere. However, the lack of a found weapon hurts Dunn enormously.

My question is whether it was worth Dunn saying a damn thing to the group of teens blasting their music? I say no. As rude as these little bastards are with their blasting music, I don't bother with them because they are looking for trouble. And I don't want to be that trouble they are looking for, y'know? It's like the old saying: Don't wrestle in the mud with a pig. You get dirty and the pig enjoys it.

17. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    So you think all blacks are pigs in the mud? What a terribly racist thing to say! :nono:

(see how that works? :hhh:)

18. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    j smuck, you have the right to eat crayons too, but that doesn't mean its the smart thing to do

19. gilaet

gilaet Police Truck Administrator

Reputations:
    What if the other guy eats a crayon first?

20. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    That guy's wishing he had his Saturday back