Colorado man may have lost sense of taste after flashlight explodes in his mouth (VIDEO) Christopher Reid Carrington's 7-year-old son had to call 911 to rescue his dad after the 325 LED Flashlight blew up and left blood gushing from his mouth at their Lakewood home on Tuesday night. BY Lee Moran NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, January 19, 2015, 10:03 AM facebook Christopher Reid Carrington sent four days undergoing treatment after the flashlight exploded in his mouth. A Colorado man may have lost his sense of taste after a flashlight exploded as he held it in his mouth. Christopher Reid Carrington was searching for tools in the back of his truck in Lakewood on Tuesday night when he placed the 325 LED Flashlight between his lips, reports 9News. But the gadget then suddenly blew up. Blood gushed from Carrington's mouth and he was left unable to speak. Luckily, his 7-year-old son was nearby and dialed 911. The injured father was rushed to the University of Colorado Hospital's Intensive Care Burn Unit. Doctors discovered he'd suffered third-degree burns to his lip, tongue and throat. He spent four days receiving treatment, with a tube down his throat to help his breathing. The 325 LED Flashlight blew up in the Lakewood man's mouth last Tuesday. And medics have revealed that his vocal cords could have been seriously, and possibly permanently, damaged — and that he may never be able to taste anything again. The burns are expected to heal within four weeks, however. Carrington said he didn't understand why the flashlight exploded. And he said he would now have engineers analyze it in a bid to find out what went wrong.