News Another TSA disaster in Chicago, this time at O'Hare

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, May 16, 2016.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    More than 400 passengers missed their flights on one night thanks to TSA security lines of up to three hours on Sunday at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, as the growing crisis at the agency causes travel chaos across the nation.

Dozens of the passengers were forced to sleep on cots at the nation's third-busiest airport Sunday night, because extremely long security lines kept them from making their flights.

And the lines didn't improve Monday morning, as the lines wound back and forth through the hallways during the early morning rush when passengers were told to expect waits of as long as three hours for international flights.

Even in the afternoon, wait times at the nation's busiest hours were more than 30 minutes long.

The TSA last week warned travelers to expect delays across the nation after they cut their staff numbers and the number of travelers increases.

At O'Hare, the nation's third-busiest airport, some 4,000 passengers have missed flights since February due to an understaffed TSA and record flight sales, according to American Airlines.

The TSA has pledged to add 800 new security screeners by June, but the union that represents these workers says 6,000 new hires need to be made to speed up the screening process.

The reason for the shortage of TSA workers is due to federal budget cuts.

In the meantime, transportation officials are urging passengers to arrive two hours before domestic flights and three hours before international flights to give them enough time to make it through the line.

But like those camping out in the airport Sunday night, even following these rules sometimes fails.

U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer, of New York, has also proposed increasing the amount of security dogs, which he says could cut wait times in half.

Last week, Homeland Security Director Jeh Johnson asked fliers to be patient as the government tackles the TSA employee shortage.

'Our job is to keep the American people safe,' Johnson told reporters at a news conference. 'We're not going to compromise aviation security in the face of this.'

The TSA cut its airport screener staff by 10 per cent in the past three years with the assumption the PreCheck program would speed up the process.

But the program requires an $85 to $100 fee every five years, and applicants need to pass an interview before they are allowed to go through faster lanes, where passengers don't have to take off their shoes or remove laptops and liquids from their bags.

Last week, Congress agreed to shift $34 million in TSA funding forward, allowing the agency to pay overtime to its existing staff.

The money will also go towards hiring 768 screeners by June 15 to bring numbers up to the congressionally mandated ceiling of 42,525.

With fewer staff, stricter security procedures, and a record number of fliers, the perfect storm has been brewing for months.

Airlines have been warning customers to arrive at the airport two hours in advance, but with summer travel season approaching even that might not be enough.

Johnson said the TSA is working with airlines to enforce limits on carry-on bags and their size.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fatass, babybear and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  2. hugh jasol

hugh jasol white trash on dope Gold

Reputations:
    At least nobody got shot (til they exited the terminal).

3. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Sickening. Yet, the borders are open and terrorists would have no trouble coming in that way.

4. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So this is obviously a set up? For what though?

kev, Butters Stoch and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  5. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it's crazy
    you can't do this to people

if we need to check all these people then we need staff to do it
    if we're gonna try to go with less staff then we need to be more selective in who we check

you can't grind air travel to a halt
    you just can't
    dammit
    arrggggg and stuff

6. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    More funding, more government power.

7. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Large numbers of people in confined areas due to federal incompetence. or planning?

:bigthink

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  8. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Simple solution. Raise airfares and stop making flying the Greyhound of the skies. When passengers can get flights on Spirit for next to nothing and other airlines follow suit by dropping their prices this is what you end up with. Wages haven't gone up in this country for several years yet more and more people can afford to travel. Let's go back to a time when it was business passengers and upper middle class who could afford to travel. The caveat would be that the TSA staff couldn't be cut along with the reduce passengers. The higher fares will pay for the staff. Last time I checked there is nothing in the constitution that gave the citizens the right to cheap airfares. Though I guess you could say deregulation is partially to blame.

9. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Getting pre-check is the best thing I've done since I started traveling for work 15 years ago. I don't know if they still do this, but I put the $85 fee on my Amex and Amex refunded the fee to me. I don't know how I lived without pre-check before I got it.

10. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    The Muslims would make more damage blowing up the line before security.

11. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    then why aren't they blowing stuff up daily? :dontknow:

12. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Didn't a shitload all call in on Mother's Day??

13. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...wow thats awful.

14. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Heard the TSA line at midway last week was more than a quarter mile. :lmao:

15. DeltaGold84

DeltaGold84 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I hope this isnt this bad in the precheck lines. Im flying thru ORD on Thursday night

16. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They thought more people would buy TSA Precheck so they cut 10% of staff.

RenchFries and Butters Stoch like this.
  17. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Suddenly it's all about the money, just like the IRS didn't have enough money after the millions paid out in bonuses, then tragically didn't have the man power to get the returns out in a timely manner. I'm sure this is politically driven to inconvenience the public, like the way the administration ordered all the National Parks and Monuments to be closed or gated up as a big FU to the public so they will blame Congress during the Gov. shutdown besides the fact there were shutdowns in the past and no park was ever closed before. There are cuts everywhere, but suddenly having a few less people on each shift at most big airports are now causing lines around the airport? :facepalm:

Butters Stoch likes this.
  18. tempetoro

tempetoro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This. I've always thought what's next after this happens? Do they check cars on the freeway exit to the airport?

Beths Arab, Gusbuss and Butters Stoch like this.
  19. DaTenses

DaTenses Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The solution is to free airlines from regulations. Let the market be free to compete amongst each other. Let them be responsible for their own security measures and reputations. The one that allows its passengers to carry weapons will end up being the safest one.

bdbx18 and Willy Pfister like this.
  20. You Knew!

You Knew! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Never heard the name "Jeh" before.