So, this happened a few weeks ago. I wanted to write about it then but it sounds so ridiculously impossible. Anyway, sometimes these tiny ants get through somewhere on the kitchen window screen. Just a few here and there. On this day I saw none... I got a mug of water and put it in the micro for 1:33. I'm real impatient so I waited there for the countdown: I saw no ants. I had my hand on the door opening button thing and as soon as it stopped I opened the door. I immediately saw in the back top left corner an ant! It swiftly crawled down the micro and hid under the turning plate. Then I saw on the inside of the door another one. There was zero time for either ant to get inside when I opened the door. There were none anywhere on the outside. They absolutely had to be in there during the whole 1:33. Even if they managed to get in while it was on they'd still have to die quickly- I assumed. Well I just googled it and found that those fuckers often survive the microwave. Unbelievable. Heres just the first webpages info about it. Really fascinating, you may think. " Saturday 05 July 2014 PRINT A A A A microwave works by passing radio waves at a frequency of 2.45 gigahertz through any food. Radio waves at this frequency have an interesting property: they are absorbed by water and fats. When absorbed, the water or fat molecules start rotating due to the alternating nature of the electric fields of the microwave. This atomic motion is directly converted into energy which is given out as heat. Now, coming to the question itself. A number of theories were placed. Here are some of them: 1. Ants are too small to be affected by microwaves as the wave lengths of these waves are quite large. 2. Ants contain too little water for them to be affected by the microwave. 3. Chitin (Ants exoskeleton material) will resist microwaves. Microwave beams are standing wave. Such waves always remain in a constant position. So within a microwave there will be places where the energy density will be very high, whereas in others it will be very low. That is why we always have a turntable within microwave ovens in order to make sure that all parts of a meal are heated. Ants being relatively small can easily be positioned between these waves, and in the process remain entirely unharmed. Ants also have another mechanism to their advantage of microwave survival: they have one of the largest body surface areas to volume ratios. This helps it to cool down really fast, so if an ant were caught in a high-energy zone within the microwave, its body surface area advantage helps it to cool down quickly while moving to a low energy zone. So the mighty ant survives some very intense environments. Akash Shah Someone has done this experiment before: Microwave Tolerance of Ants. Conclusion: It seems the hypothesis was disproved and ants are able to tolerate a microwave for a relatively high amount of time. One area of interest is whether an ant that is allowed to 'free roam' has a better chance of survival then an ant that stays in one spot. Xu Beixi The reason has to do with the ant's small size and the wave length, which is 12.2cm. The ant is too small to capture sufficient energy to heat. If the wave length was shorter – near the length of the ant – then it would become visible to the microwaves and heat. A box of ants will heat very well and the ants would be killed.